Sign in to follow this  

DR Mark: Hip pinning rehab difficulties

I am 10 months post op from a hip pinning fracture. 3 Months after the surgery the Doc released me to do what ever I wanted. I have regained much of the strength in the abducters. I went through 20 PT sessions within the last 3 months for range of motion issues. I still limp. Some days more than others. I cannot lift my leg over a bike without lying it way over. I have ridden a sport atv with little to no pain but that's not what I want. I have a lumped up spot where the dr says the rod sticks out of the top of my femur. My PT seems to think it is binding up. I have an appointment with the DR next week. Have you ever heard of the hardware inhibitting range of motion? I have talked with others who have had theirs replaced and they are way more flexible than I.

Thanks.

Failure of bone healing, or death of the femoral head comes to my mind first before hardware issues. See the doc and get it X-rayed.

I'm 15 months out of my greater trochanter break/ tib and fib break. I took rods and pins out of the leg and it got better quickly . The hip is in january and I l, get the pins out of that due to limited range of motion as well as some bone removal. I was told the pins and new bone growth are limiting my mobility and causing pain. It'll be a while before the limp goes away unfortunately. Some days are worse than others also.

I went to my Doc today and had x-rays taken. The bones look good. We discussed my options and I have decided to have the hardware removed. The doc says that my chances are much better for regaining range of motion. The down side is the rehab that I must go through again. I am hoping it is a little less without the trauma of a broken hip. Now I have 3 weeks to anticipate the whole ordeal once again. It is amazing what we will go through to be able to swing a leg over a bike.

I am sorry, but I find this story hard to believe. I am afraid that there is more going on in this hip.