Sign in to follow this  

labor for top-end?

what do you think is a normal shop time for them to do top-end? 3,4,5,6 hours? also guy says I may need new valves (he hasn't opened it up yet) based on the fact it is an 04 and has never had the valves changed. tia.

Valves $53 each X5. Piston, rings, pin, clips, about $125. Gaskets about $75. If it needs valves, then the seats need cut and new seals too. Add $120. While in there, add a cam chain, $25. That's if it's just a top end. If the rod is worn, loose piston pin or main bearing, then add a crank and splitting the bottom end, $200. So plan worst case $850 in parts and another $400 in labor to put it in. If you do the work, then you're out only the parts.

What happened to make you think you need a top end? Valves out of spec? Have you shimmed them before? Is there a reason why you can't do the work yourself? If you do the work yourself then the only labor you'd have to pay is for the seats to be cut. If the valves don't need to be replaced just shimmed but you still want to put in piston, rings and cam chain in you can get everything for under $300

yamaha says 4.5 hrs for a piston and valve change.add .5 for a timing chain.and maybe a x-tra .5 for looking over the rest of the motor real good.you should just do it yourself,its really not that hard,it would be a good winter project.

scares the shit out of me :bonk: More just being preventative. Went home today for lunch, bike started first kick (48 degrees out). However I get a bit of BLACK smoke w/choke on. Could that be serious? I may try to check my clearances first and if they are out of whack i may have someone then shim and new piston. get ready for a bunch of questions from me.

intensem1rider posted this link for a valve kit in another thread:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YZ250F-oem-yamaha-Valve-Kit-w-springs-seals-01-09-/300638119814?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item45ff6da786

That's like $1 more expensive than the best price I've found (From Zanotti motors) and the best thing is you don't have to look up each individual parts! + free shipping, that's a pretty good deal!

I'm with everyone else on doing it yourself. About the only thing you can't do is cut valve seats, and for that make sure to take it to someone that knows what they're doing, not Joe the Chevy big block mechanic (Unless he is used to working with tiny motorcycle valves!)

Look out for white smoke, that means you're burning oil!

Oops, yeah that's right. I was thinking something wasnt right when I wrote that, but I must have been ignoring the white smoke coming out of my ears!

If the bike starts easily the valves are good.

I'd just throw a new piston in it and go riding.

Yamaha 4 strokes that get regular oil changes and clean air filters run forever.

My 07 WR250 has 47 zillion miles on it and has never needed a valve adjustment just a new piston every other year.

If the bike starts easily the valves are good.

I'd just throw a new piston in it and go riding.

Yamaha 4 strokes that get regular oil changes and clean air filters run forever.

My 07 WR250 has 47 zillion miles on it and has never needed a valve adjustment just a new piston every other year.

true. clean air and oil and they will last for ever