2012 450/500 xc-w ECU ??????

well the mtnman is back in bizness with a new 500 xc-w (picking up at ktm world tues the 27th) putting all my go fast parts together and one of the things i was excited about was the ease of tuning on the new efi systems(with some sort of computer gadgetry of course) but there seems to be mass confusion on the what, where, how, and why's of gettin'er done.:bonk:

here's whats known....trail tech makes a 3 way ignition switch (which works on all the other ktm efi bikes))but there is conflicting reports on whether its a plug and play unit for the new xc-w's or if the ECU must be unlocked, which is supposedly only possible with the dealer xc-1 unit and only with a new software download from ktm. the lock is to keep people like me:devil: from tampering with the california "green" status (and in the case of the exc its even worse for EPA)

the dealership is tuning it the best they can to match the 4.1 fmf setup i'm using but are unaware of the ability to use the switch and/or unlock the 3 maps (it has been verified the maps are there)

also according to the "ktm user tool" instructions i downloaded (which i'm told will not unlock this ECU) there seems to be the ability to change the fuel map in sequence with the selected ignition map.... kinda like that idea.

is there anyone who actually knows what needs to be done and/or be able to do it?

i suppose vortex will eventually come up with something or maybe an existing ECU might interchange?

there are a couple 'inline' fuel metering boxes (JD 6X,dynojet pc-5,etc) but no real ECU options i can find.

and here i thought this was gonna be easier than jetting:banghead:

and please, before you post "stock is good enough" ask yourself WWMMD

(What Would MtnMan Do)?

kalifornistan is reaching its terrorist grip across the whole dang country.....i can't wait for it to fall into the pacific:p

Well I wouldn't worry about getting a new ecu. That is illegal in every state unless it's an oem replacement. It also won't make a real difference. It's the same motor it's till gonna be lean and the dealer adjuster doesn;t let you make the adjustments neccesary. Get a PCV and have it tuned right. I did and couldn't be happier. Bike runs great now and I have no worries about taking it anywhere.

As a Californian(btw we won;t fall out into the pacific. We'll go north) I would go this route. It's as easy as jetting in reality and you can still make adjustments.

Good luck.

ya, i actually have gotten the jd unit to play with... problem is i'd really like the option of the 3 map choices,especially if the fuel map and ignition map are variable within each selection as per the 'user tool' instruction pdf.

i also went ahead and got the 3 way switch from trail tech and am gonna try it before i do anything to see if it'll make any difference,i've seen reports of plug and play (was even told that by JD himself) and then there are others like the folks from sicass racing who make the underseat plugs to change mapping who say its a locked system on both xc-w and exc.

now the interesting thing is that the euro six days 500 exc comes with the 3 way switch installed and is advertised as switchable for different conditions, wonder if its possible to get one of those ecu's ? just have to figure out if the 'hot' setting is just the stock xc-w setting and if its user tool friendly or not? illegal...well maybe,but what thats good isn't;a californian should know that:busted:

• Like 1

Ecu is the same. It just has a an extra feature. The dealer adjustment can't add enough fuel. My 500 w/ a PCV had more then 50% added in some places. The dealer adjustment mdule can only go up to 50%. The JD box is also useless I've confirmed. Less power and the afr is still screwed across the board. I spent more but I'm really happy I did after seeing the results.

The way they normally do it is there are two standard maps and you pick the third iirc. All you ned is the switch to change maps. The ecu is the same as is a lot of the hardware making them different would be too expensive for ktm.

I have a 450 xcw and have Trailtech Switch it does work. The funny thing is I like the stock the best. the mild has a flat spot at the bottom. The wild is wild good for a Motocross track. it only changes the ignition timing. I think at mild you notice the FI is a little lean. I have Calif. bike i think they come a little lean.

i'm a believer now, the ECU map changing ability definately works without being unlocked,night and day difference....tried the bike stock first without anything then tried the sicass racing wild plug w/out the JD unit;BIG difference in pull off the bottom....then in conjunction with the sicass 'wild' plug i added the JD unit in the 'preferred' setup mode which comes installed and this really woke the thing up!! you can tell the bike runs richer across the board,way stronger pull from bottom to a whole new top end and also runs cooler,way throatier sound too. for right at $200 i'd go with the JD unit/sicass plugs before i spent big $$ on the Power Commander.... can't be that much better performance with the PC and not requiring a laptop to adjust is another big plus. i'm on the fence about putting the 3 way switch on i kinda like the way it runs with the wild plug,will probly sell the switch.

if you want the 500 xc-w i'd move quick the dealership says they're getting scarce (and that was after i'd already bought the bike so i don't think it was a sales pitch) awesome bike don't miss the bus:thumbsup:

Edited by ncmountainman
too much of 'it'

So why does Sicass say that you must have the ECU unlocked for the map switch to work? Trailtech makes no such representation regarding their map switch.

mass confusion? the switch and the plugs work off a variable measure of resistance,so i don't see how one's different from the other;but i can tell you the plugs work on mine....plug and play!

more than likely its what the epa wanted to hear from ktm (tamper proof)??

I have tried the Sicass plug on three 2012 KTM's (350exc,450xcw,500xcw), it does not work on any of them. It is the same switch that I used with great success on the 2011 350xc-f. According to KTM it should not. Trail Tech plug should be the same.

IF it was working, then you would have access to three maps and should have no need of any other add-ons to the system.

I have tried the Sicass plug on three 2012 KTM's (350exc,450xcw,500xcw), it does not work on any of them. It is the same switch that I used with great success on the 2011 350xc-f. According to KTM it should not. Trail Tech plug should be the same.

IF it was working, then you would have access to three maps and should have no need of any other add-ons to the system.

the switch/plugs effect only ignition mapping. i don't know what to tell you.... the difference is night and day with the wild plug even more when you add the JD unit, i tried it a couple times with and without the plug to verify.

my buddy also tried my 'wild' plug on his 2012 450 xc-w and felt he didn't have to clutch anywhere near as much out of the turns.

maybe the california bikes are locked and others not?

And mountain man did not install the switch, only the plugs and the JD unit. Chilly seems to confuse switches with plugs. I think Moutainman should install the switch and tell us what that does with and without plugs (not sure they can be used together).

Well Mountainman did not have to unlock to get the JD unit to work and change fuel mapping? The confusion and uncertainty on this issue is frustrating. Makes it hard to be confident in what products to install.

exactly...the JD unit (and this is directly from JD himself) is a inline (after ecu)modification of signal to the injector. you unplug the injector,plug input end of the jd unit into ecu side and plug output end of jd unit back into the injector. it's adjustable on 6 levels but to tell you the truth the mapping it comes with out of the box(they customize a map for each bike) is spot on.

this bike is pretty good stock but with these 3 mods ....4.1 slip on,JD 6x,and the sicass 'wild' plug (or trail tech switch....both do the same thing)its stupid fast, but yet in a put it to the ground useable fashion:banana:

and yes the plugs and the bar switch are the same thing just different.... they cannot be used together,the plugs are under the seat and not easily switched to the other settings (stock,mild)?

hope that clears it up a little,

mtnman