Sign in to follow this  

choosing the right bars...

stock bars on my 08 450 sxf seem to be a little too straight for my liking, i mostly ride woods and have been experiencing a lot of arm pump fairly quickly. trying to find a set of new bars with a better feel. anyone have any recommendations? do the woods hi bars really have a significant difference? had carmichaels on my yz 125 and loved them. but then again thats like comparing apples to oranges..

bar specs in link:

http://www.powersportparts.net/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TR02-2891

Edited by daveray

stock bars on my 08 450 sxf seem to be a little too straight for my liking, i mostly ride woods and have been experiencing a lot of arm pump fairly quickly. trying to find a set of new bars with a better feel. anyone have any recommendations? do the woods hi bars really have a significant difference? had carmichaels on my yz 125 and loved them. but then again thats like comparing apples to oranges..

bar specs in link:

http://www.powersportparts.net/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TR02-2891

Most of the reviews comment that the KTM bend bars are a bit low/flat for the average person and recommend going with the Windham bend (Renthal 603, 12mm higher I belive). Not sure how tall you are but that seems to be a good option. There's also a 19mm higher bar (Renthal 604) that may work for you.

Most of the reviews comment that the KTM bend bars are a bit low/flat for the average person and recommend going with the Windham bend (Renthal 603, 12mm higher I belive). Not sure how tall you are but that seems to be a good option. There's also a 19mm higher bar (Renthal 604) that may work for you.

i'm 5'11". higher the bar, better for the woods?

I went with the Twinwall 994 (608 Fatbar) and definately liked the feel of the higher bar. The sweep on it is 38mm- very flat bar in comparison to the 55-57mm range most bars come in for sweep. However my wrists just suck and I was told by an orthopedic surgeon you want more sweep in the bar to go with the hands natural position. Can anyone comment on this?

I am thinking of going back to the Windham bend.....and certainly back to a fat bar. Twinwalls are far too stiff for me after swingin chainsaws for the last 17 years.

My favorite bars for woods riding are the 1-1/8" ProTaper Contour bars in the Windham RM-Mid bend. They just feel perfect when riding through the tight, technical terrain while standing a lot. But they still feel good when riding while sitting as well.

I am thinking of going back to the Windham bend.....and certainly back to a fat bar. Twinwalls are far too stiff for me after swingin chainsaws for the last 17 years.

I'm running a Windham Twinwall without the crossbar on it and it feels pretty good - had the 604 Fatbars for quite some time before, but lately had my wrists hurting more than I liked (sic!). Had both wrists injured over the years and now it starts to show. Having said that I decided to give the Nekken bar which comes stock on the 2012 EXC bikes (KTM part#7800200100017) a try on my other bike (Twinwall 350/Nekken 300) and was pleasantly surprised. This Nekken has a little more sweep (somewhere between 40-42mm), but is still rather flat, feels very comfortable AND gives me great control offroad.

You may want to take a look at http://forum.lc8.info//files/attachments/lenkerliste_ktm_24.09.2009_469.pdf. Be careful though, all the KTM measurements are from the outside diamterers (bottom 28mm, top 22mm) so you have to subtract 25mm ((28+22)/2) to get comparable numbers. For the U* part#s (bottom of page) the numbers are correct (to compare) already.

Also keep in my that all those #s are only valid in the middle position and will change considerably with even small movements either back or forth depending on the bar bend.

Michael

Thanks Michael! Excellent info as usual! I will look into the Neken bar. Like with anything else there is a sweet spot that we have to find as we get older and our wrists start to go a little. I will also give the twinwall minus crossbar a try. I am wondering if this is more a flex issue or sweep issue for me. More testing:ride:

went with the woods high bend, i'll report back after a ride or two..