Sign in to follow this  

School me on trailer wiring

So I have a problem with my 6x12 enclosed trailer. Some of the lights aren't working after I fried a wire and I have no idea how to troubleshoot for problems. Basically, the wire to my side markers, over my fenders, touched the tires and it sparked a fire on the wire. Since then some lights don't work. I tried cutting out the portion of the wire that burned and replaced the side marker but the same lights still don't work.

brake lights- ok

signals- ok

interior light- not working

running lights/side markers- not working

Does anyone know what some possible reasons may be for this? Or any good sources online that I can look at for more info?

Thanks!

So I have a problem with my 6x12 enclosed trailer. Some of the lights aren't working after I fried a wire and I have no idea how to troubleshoot for problems. Basically, the wire to my side markers, over my fenders, touched the tires and it sparked a fire on the wire. Since then some lights don't work. I tried cutting out the portion of the wire that burned and replaced the side marker but the same lights still don't work.

brake lights- ok

signals- ok

interior light- not working

running lights/side markers- not working

Does anyone know what some possible reasons may be for this? Or any good sources online that I can look at for more info?

Thanks!

Popped a fuse in the truck.

Check your ground wire. Your best bet is to attach your ground wire directly to the vehicle frame , not the bumper.

This solved all my problems

Check your ground wire. Your best bet is to attach your ground wire directly to the vehicle frame , not the bumper.

This solved all my problems

I have been looking on etrailer and it seems that this is most likely the problem. But because I'm new to all this wiring, I will have to still do more testing.

How do I check for that?

Pull all your fuses and check, assuming that you have a newer vehicle with the blade type fuse. And you can also use a multi-meter using the 'diode' I believe it is, it will have an audible signal when you put both leads of the volt-meter on the posts of the fuse.

I've used this many times to set pressure and vacuum switches.

Pull all your fuses and check, assuming that you have a newer vehicle with the blade type fuse. And you can also use a multi-meter using the 'diode' I believe it is, it will have an audible signal when you put both leads of the volt-meter on the posts of the fuse.

I've used this many times to set pressure and vacuum switches.

Another way is a simple test light-fuses have a small metal tab on the outside. Poke that tab. Should have power across both sides of the fuse.

Power on one side and none on the other = dead fuse.