GPS Options

I am probablly bringing a big can opener for this can of worms :bonk:

Before the spring thaw, I plan on adding a GPS to my arsenal of tricks. Although I'm familiar with GPS units used for auto, marine, and aviation applications, I've never used one for traveling thru the woods. That being said, I'm familiar with basic tool usage and technical terms but, am a little naive on how to implement for this application.

Since researching the archives, I've identified three potential options. Each seems to have their definite +'s and -'s and I'm torn. Here are the options I'm looking at:

1. TrailTech Voyager

2. Garmin 60CSX (discontinued...but still seems to be available)

3. DeLorme PN-40 (discontinued I think but the PN-60 seems to be the replacement)

In the perfect world, I would be sold on the TrailTech Voyager, if it was easily portable (so I can use during hiking recon missions) and had the capability of displaying topo maps. I really like how it integrates into the bike and the extra display options over the KTM computer (i.e. rpm, H2O temp, etc).

That being said, I'm wondering if a stand alone GPS like the Garmin or DeLorme would be the better option...seems like they might be overall more functional as a GPS (even though it lacks the bike integration).

Thoughts and opinions???

Also, are there any other GPS units I should add to my consideration list?

I have been using GPS units since the 90's.. I have owned several different makes and models. Currently I use a Garmin MAP76. If I were considering an new unit today it would be a Garmin Colorado series. A bud at werk bought one and I am impressed.. Just about any unit you purchase these days has a replaceable micro SD card.. I have three different cards for mine. OEM, 1:24,000 topo and a Wyoming land ownership card.. I carry all three in my case and switch them out as to my immediate need..

Now if you want to enhance your GPS experience, got to JDMCOX.com and DL his free map software.. It will allow you to load any USGS topo map for free, onto your computer.. You can also make tracks, waypoints etc and load them to your GPS unit.

I don't have any experience with the Trail Tech models, but I would just buy a stand alone GPS and use it.. Seems to me the Trail Tech unit mounts on the bike and that pretty much limits it's use..

I have a Garmin 76Csx and an Oregon. The 76 has the same guts as the 60, just a different case. The Oregon is fine for hiking but the lack of buttons make it difficult to use while riding. The 60/76 have a memory limit on the number of points (1,000) in a downloaded track which is fixed with the 62/78 (same functions as the Oregon). I like:

Ease of use

Tracks

Fluxgate compass

Barometric altimeter

Mapsource SW

Free topo maps

Also the ONLY mount to use is the RAM mount.

Thank you all for your advice!!!

Maybe because there are so many options to choose from but, I am have a really hard time with this decision :bonk:

I've been researching the Garmin website and other forums and think I've narrowed my choices down to two:

TrailTech Voyager & Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx

The more I think about the intended use and flexibility, I am leaning more and more towards a stand alone GPS unit vs. the TrailTech Voyager. That being said, I still really like how the Voyager integrates into the bike and some of the other options that are included that a stand-alone GPS wouldn't have. Of course, on the flip side, I really like the fact that I can take the GPS on reconnaissance hikes and can load topo maps and can even get turn by turn directions for pavement use.

So the jury is still out but, if I decide to go with a stand-alone unit (which is where I'm currently leaning towards), I think the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx makes perfect sense for the following reasons:

- Although discontinued thru Garmin, it's still available and at a reasonable price

- Seems to be a tremendously popular unit for off-road moto adventuring

- Ability to load topo maps

- No touch screen...making it easier to operate with gloves

- High sensitivity for travel in dense woods (ala New England)

- Basic features...doesn't have some of the crazy bells and whistles of the current models (i.e. camera, wireless sync, connect, etc)

Both the TrailTech and Garmin 60CSx units are definitely in my price range...was hoping not to spend more than $350 and some of the new models are down right ridiculously expensive. If they were even close to my price cap, I might be willing to spend the extra loot. When we are talking $200 - $400 more expensive, and I can't really understand what whiz-bang features you are getting that can justify the added cost, it just seems like a no brainer.

So now that I've narrowed my choices down (TT Voyager or 60CSx), what would you go with?....based on previous input, I'm assuming the Garmin unit.

Also, assuming I decided to go with the Garmin 60CSx, does anyone have opinions or evidence that I may have overlooked, supporting the purchase of a newer model? What features doe the 60CSx not have that I might miss???

Bottom line, I don't want to make a purchase that I will regret and at the same time, don't want to buy something that will be extremely obsolete in a couple of years.

p.s. I want to hardwire any unit I choose so, I know that limits options too.

Thanks again!!!!!!!

Since I have the 60CSx I'm probably somewhat biased but:

I've never bothered to hard wire mine and have never (yet) had it shut off.

The darn thing works so well that I had it in my fanny pack for a whole day and it got the entire track. Pretty good reception in my opinion.

Oh, and I like the lack of a touch screen. Works better with gloves on.

I do wish the screen was a little larger but..................

I ride with a 60CSx.

If I had to buy a new one right now, I'd go with a 76Cx. Same firmware/features as the 60's in a different case. I prefer buttons on top of the screen, easier to manipulate when you're holding it in your hand; and the RAM-mount wraps around the entire unit instead of relying on teh belt clip. I leave the compass off on my 60 and really wish I could shut off the baro sensor.

And, you can get the 76Cx for about $150 from West Marine right now.

The Voyager is really a GPS-augmented odometer; lacks the functionality a full-on GPS like the 60/76's have.

Finally pulled the trigger and bought a 60csx about a month ago. Was very easy to figure out with basic knowledge. Very happy with it and with extra mounts will easily move from bike to bike to kayak to jeep etc.Love being able to bring it in and download the days ride onto the computer. I've been riding the same trails and woods for 30 years. All this new tech certainly has added a new dimension to our adventures.:bonk:

If I had to buy a new one right now, I'd go with a 76Cx. Same firmware/features as the 60's in a different case. I prefer buttons on top of the screen, easier to manipulate when you're holding it in your hand; and the RAM-mount wraps around the entire unit instead of relying on teh belt clip. I leave the compass off on my 60 and really wish I could shut off the baro sensor.

And, you can get the 76Cx for about $150 from West Marine right now.

Well, I almost pulled the trigger last night and ordered a 60CSx but, was fortunately distratcted by life :bonk:

After reading this and doing a little more research, I'm going to go with the 76...it's almost a no brainer...cheaper, has the same functions, and may be easier to operate with gloves or in general.

Here's my only hang up..the CS or the CSx? The only difference is altimeter / compass and ~$50 and is still cheaper than the 60CSx. I'm leaning towards the CSx, just so I don't kick myself if I find a use for the altimeter (compass I'm not so worried about...you can get a basic compass cheap and doesn't weigh anything). Thoughts?

Also, is there a preferred source for topo maps, besides the free one that was mentioned earlier?

I guess what I'm asking is what is the difference between the Garmin products you see on-line?...2008 DVD-ROM, 100K, 24K, etc? Is 24K the latest version?

Well, I just pulled the trigger and bought myself or should I say, my bike, an Xmas present. :bonk:

Here's what I ordered:

- Garmin 76CSx

- Garmin Power Cable to hardwire

- 2Gb micro-SD card

- Garmin 24K Topo Mapset

- Ram Mount & Cradle

Hopefully I didn't miss anything ?

Here's my only hang up..the CS or the CSx?

Absolutely go with teh "x" series. High sensitivity receiver, plus a MicroSD card for expansion. You're not going to get too many maps on the internal memory of a 60/76 non-x.

CityNavigator for the entire US/Canada/Mexico is about 1.7GB.

Rocky mountain region (CO, WY, ID, MT, UT) topo maps is about 250MB.

I have CityNav for north america, plus topo for the US on the memory card.

I see I'm too late, but I originally bought the Garmin 60CSX and returned it. I use mine for long dual sport rides and the Garmin was limited in the number of points on a track it could hold (I think 500). I went with the DeLorme and love it. It came with all of the software of maps, and topo with it for the us. Another pro for the Delorme is with an SD card installed (not included with it) is the tracks can have up to 10000 points on it.

the ONLY think I don't like about it is the size of the screen, kind of small.

The group I ride with have been going Delorme too, and I think they all like them.