Sign in to follow this  

Which Of These Two Helmets For Dual Sport?

Sorry...I looked but couldn't find a gear forum. I really want one of those flat black Bell helmets. I see they make it in an MX1 model and an SX1 model. In comparing the two I'm having a hard time telling the differences? I'm mostly a two track taking in the scenery kind of rider. Does one of these make more sense than the other for a dual sport guy? Is there a serious concern with not choosing either model for one reason or another?

No I have not. I just wondered if anyone would know the basic difference between the two. Thanks anyway.

...Is there a serious concern with not choosing either model for one reason or another?

This is my two cents worth. I don't like helmets that require goggles for dual sport riding. On the road they act like blinders...IMO.

I finally switched to an AFX dual sport helmet which has a built-in flip up face shield and smaller bill for less wind resistance. My peripheral view is much more adequate now and that counts on the highway.

This is my two cents worth. I don't like helmets that require goggles for dual sport riding. On the road they act like blinders...IMO.

I finally switched to an AFX dual sport helmet which has a built-in flip up face shield and smaller bill for less wind resistance. My peripheral view is much more adequate now and that counts on the highway.

This is true. See my avatar. XD-3. Most comfortable helmet I have ever owned. But it is true of only half of the dual sport equation. Helmets with a flip up face shield will either fog up in a hurry, or if open offer almost no protection for your eyes. Even when down, this style of helmet is almost worthless in dry dusty conditions.

I now have a second helmet (Airoh) which requires goggles. When it is below 50 degrees I wear the Arai, otherwise I find myself wearing the MX style helmet almost exclusively. That being said, it really depends on what type of riding you are going to be doing, and almost as importantly, if you are going to be riding alone. There's not much threat of day long dust being kicked up in front of you if you ride alone.

This is true. See my avatar. XD-3. Most comfortable helmet I have ever owned....this style of helmet is almost worthless in dry dusty conditions.

I've had to stop and clean my visor, before (it would be the same with goggles), but haven't had any problems with debris in my eyes...lucky I guess. I wish I could say, because I'm in front...not!

I'll take the risk using a dual sport specific helmet just to be able to see vehicles off to the side that may put me in harms way.

I have mx helmets, but don't use them for dual sporting...for single track, you bet.

Just saying...that's my priority.

Edited by DragonNester

Riding glasses and XD with flip up shield.

I ride with shield up on all off-road unless very cold, then flip it down on paved roads to eliminate wind.

My $.02.......Quite a few years ago I switched to a full face road helmet with a flip up shield, would never go back to an MX type. The road helmet has a MUCH better field of vision, is more comfortable, way better if it is raining. I will admit that fogging can be a problem, but I have found that anti-fog such as C-Clear keeps it to a minimum. On a side note, a black helmet is quite a bit hotter in the summertime than white or silver. It's whatever floats your boat.

X10 on the Fly Trekker DS helmet.

2011-Fly-Racing-Trekker-DS-Helmet-Matte-Black.jpg

Absolutely love mine. Most comfortable helmet I've ever owned to date (haven't had the loot to try a 500-600 dollar helmet). And a great price to boot (think I gave 130 bucks).

Where did you purchase the AIROH from?

And to not totally hi-jack... I like the fly trekker ds helmet.

I bought mine from Just Dirt Bikes in the UK. However, since then KTM-PARTS.COM, which islocated here in WV, is currently the sole US distributor.

I feel like my head will get torn off with an mx helmet and visor so I took off the visor and have tinted goggles. Maybe I look stupid but there is way way less wind resistance and I can shoulder check too!

X10 on the Fly Trekker DS helmet.

2011-Fly-Racing-Trekker-DS-Helmet-Matte-Black.jpg

Absolutely love mine. Most comfortable helmet I've ever owned to date (haven't had the loot to try a 500-600 dollar helmet). And a great price to boot (think I gave 130 bucks).

I have this one as well. I do like it. You can flip up the shield and put goggles on when needed. When dualsporting and on hte road I wear sunglasses under the shield. When we hit the dirt trails I take of fthe sun glasses and put the goggles on keeping hte shild up. Works well.

I went to full face with flip up shield, I just put the shield up one notch, no fogging,mx helmet not enough view for road riding, with my new full face I got a wider view of angle out of my shield.

My $.02.......Quite a few years ago I switched to a full face road helmet with a flip up shield, would never go back to an MX type. The road helmet has a MUCH better field of vision, is more comfortable, way better if it is raining. I will admit that fogging can be a problem, but I have found that anti-fog such as C-Clear keeps it to a minimum. On a side note, a black helmet is quite a bit hotter in the summertime than white or silver. It's whatever floats your boat.

I've been using a modular or flip up helmet, in my case a Nolan. Option of flipping up the chinbar when hot and slow going. Still warmer than a dirt helmet though.

Mike

I hope this isnt considered a Hijack but my search for a good DS helmet is hot at the moment as well. Am I crazy or does the Fly trekker and the AFX-39 seem to be the exact same helmet?

Also has anyone had any experience with the GMax-11D?

They are not the same helmet. My friends have the afx. The afx is more round versus oval for the fly. The afx did not fit my head.

I'll add the Speed and Strength SS2500 dual sport helmet to the mix, $186. Great helmet. I'm a long time sport bike rider and full face helmet wearer. Been wearing my Arai full face on my new dual sport, and while great, the "look" was all wrong, so started looking at dual sport helmets. Went with the Lunatic Fringe color combo. I have to say, fantastic helmet. I don't ride freeway with this bike, but around town and fast country roads, it's been great. Has the MX look with the street bike visor. Doesn't lock like a full face, but closes well.

Anyways, just my 2 cents on dual sport helmets. I like mine a lot, and it's lighter than my Arai full face.

I should add that I'm new to this dual sport stuff though.