Sign in to follow this  

better bike

i have a 2004 ktm exc 250f right now and its super clean but have a chance to trade it for a 2004 xr650 that looks brand new and has some add ons which i dont have on mine(skid plates,hand protecters ) and its plated to run the street as well which i could use in the summer for runs to work and the lake etc. i mostly ride with my family so nothing super fast just easy trails and some trips to the dunes which wou be the better bike to have

I am not a huge KTM fan, but I would have to say the EXC for sure. If you wanted to dual sport no matter which bike you had and wanted to do a lot of highway stuff then I might say the XR. The 650 is just so damn heavy.

I am a big KTM fan, but Im not a 250F fan of any brand. With regard to your question, I would say that it depends. The XR 600/650s are tanks...but if you know that and you plan on dual sporting the bike, it might work for you. I wouldnt even think about taking that heavy SOB on technical trails.

Your 04 KTM 250 4-stroke has the RFS engine. Compared to any of the newer 250F’s it is slower, heavier, and much more reliable. It is not a competitive race bike by todays standards but for cruising trails it should be a great bike. The XR is a great bike for dual sporting, fast open riding, and non-technical desert. It will work fine on easy trails and gives you the option to run to work and the lake. It has the power for the dunes but is also quite heavy. Which one is best for you... depends on the riding you have planned but from your description above I think the XR extends your versatility while still meeting your “easy” trail requirements.

CoKTM

there might be some rides with buddies that are single track areas where it is thight so the 250 would probaly be better for that right. the 04 exc is it as dependable as the xr engine? i am not a racer by any means.

XRL or XRR? either bike requires a rebuild about oh every 20 years. the XRL is heavy for trails, the R is okay, not too heavy. if you know how to use their power you can go almost any trail. if its the XRR i would jump on it for sure.

its the the XRR i had one a few years ago and enjoyed the power and had to sell it and stepped away for a few years no back in it past summer when i got the exc and enjoy the ride miss the raw power the the thumper not he heaveyness however but leaning towards getting it

well looked at it last night and started it and it smoked a little took it for a little ride down the street and the owner was telling me it was to icy(this after i let him do the same with mine) only to find no third or forth gear so i walked away with my exc. thinking now it was probaly for the better probaly close to 60lbs diffrence and in the bush i would notice it for sure the XR probaly needed shift froks and a top end my bike needs nothing but a battery