Sign in to follow this  

Fork Spring Rate Question?

I currently race a 08 CRF450R in HS,CC and Enduros. I am a B class rider. I have the bike valved for what I ride. Currently I have stock fork springs in which according to race tech web site are 4.7. Race tech spring calculator says I should use 4.9. I weigh 200lbs.

I talked to a couple of people that know about suspension and they said I should stay with what I have in (4.7)

Looking on feedback to find out if I have the correct forks springs in or do I need to change and to what?

Thanks in advance for the help!

does it feel soft and wallowy? dive too much under breaking ? you could check your fork sag if it's over 70mm it's pretty soft but some like it that way

Check your sag numbers. Set your rear sag properly. You should have about 36mm(+-2mm) static sag and on rear you should have about 112mm. Once you know you have the right spring on rear and properly set, you can check your fork sags. You want about 44mm static (+-2mm) and a rider sag of about 78mm. I find this formula that I use works great on offroad motorcycles. This bike has a lot of travel so you need more than average sag numbers.