Sign in to follow this  

What Reeds do you run on Rm 250

I was thinking about getting some new reeds because I have a small gap between the reeds and cage. I was wondering what reeds other people run and how they like them? any input would be great :bonk:

Edited by tmacoo4

I was looking at getting those also. How many others have you tried? What other reeds are people running in their bikes?

From my own study I've found that the Boyesen RAD VALVE is the best because not only does it come with the reeds but an entire new cage that's all 1 unit. It also includes the boot to go on your carb.

Then, everyone has heard of Vforce 3 reeds which are more for Top end I've heard. Don't care for them after seeing the Rad valve.

I am in the same boat though. I found I can get the whole OEM reeds and cage for $60 so I might go that route when I do my top end, as I'm not searching for more power. This bike is more than enough.

Is your bike hard to start? a small gap between the reeds and cage is normal. I just replaced my vforce reeds and the new ones have a gap too. iff there not frayed and the bike is eeasy to start it shouldnt be a problem.

Is your bike hard to start? a small gap between the reeds and cage is normal. I just replaced my vforce reeds and the new ones have a gap too. iff there not frayed and the bike is eeasy to start it shouldnt be a problem.

small gap is not normal.

any dual stage reed will give best overall performance, be prepared for minor rejetting though :bonk: good luck

My bike recently also became harder to start when cold...but it also felt like it lost some compression in the kickstart. When it's running though it runs great!

We recently took out my reed cage and I noticed the little gasket that goes inbetween it and the engine is torn a little. Could that cause an air leak?

I am putting a new top end in the bike in the new few weeks and I think I'm just going to go with the OEM cage/reeds/gasket ($66) so I don't have to mess with jetting and I can always go right by my manual's settings. Plus this bike don't need any more UMPH...

Even if you go with stock cage and reeds you will still have to jet your bike for elevation temp ect... I was thinknig of going stock too but I really want to try the RAD set up. what web site you getting that OEm cage and reed for $66?

Even if you go with stock cage and reeds you will still have to jet your bike for elevation temp ect... I was thinknig of going stock too but I really want to try the RAD set up. what web site you getting that OEm cage and reed for $66?

Well yeah but that's like saying if you have a dirt bike you'll have to jet it in the first place :smirk: I mean, I know what you mean but I'm already jetted to the manuals recommendations and running the stock reeds. So, by buying the OEM cage and reeds/gasket I won't have to CHANGE the jetting.

Motosport bro, where else? :bonk: but that price is based on my 98 cr250...Obviously not the same for every bike. Let me know what your setup is priced @ just interested...

Yeah man do what you feel. lol My set up is around $68 for stock cage and reeds.

Ok damn that's right on point then. Yeah I think I'll go OEM cage and reeds because I mainly want reliability. My OEM reeds in the bike are likely the ones from 1998! :bonk:

i bought my 250 with stock cage and power reeds and i am happy. the boy's 04 rm125 came with stock cage and single stage carbon fibers that were starting to fray at the end. Couldnt see light, but we replaced with power reeds. they came with a " power plate " or whatever that is a small thin steel plate which replaces the curved steel plates on the stock cage- i guess the boysens open more, maybe stiffer, not sure. after rejet noticable better grunt and overrev, snappier throttle as well by butt dyno. inexpensive.

Edited by Jethrobolas
clarification

All Im saying Is my brand new reeds have a gap and my old reeds had a gap. You can see light through them. Bike still started great and ran awsome.

All Im saying Is my brand new reeds have a gap and my old reeds had a gap. You can see light through them. Bike still started great and ran awsome.

My Vforce 3 are the same. When I first bought the cage there was a tiny gap at the tip and I was suspect but bike ran great. Put new pedals in this year. guess what? Exactly the same gap, runs great. So it must be a Vforce thing.