Sign in to follow this  

Hodaka Restore

Ok its really a Steen, one of the many off brand bikes that used a Hodaka motor.

If you find a fully complete bike your good but alot of times you need two bikes to start. Here are the starters, one good roller with a very complete motor and most of the hardware.

DSCN2870.jpg

Then another batch of good parts.

DSCN2110.jpg

Some powder coat, NOS wheels,tank,fenders,and a few other parts done.

DSCN2111.jpg

Start on the motor.

DSCN5674.jpg

Believe it or not but this is a common thing with Hodaka's. One small issue like poor carb adjustment, points and in the case of this motor the shifter was not greased or needed a small adjustment. The bike was probably shifting poor and the young kid just started hammering the shifter and just pounded up the shifter ball. The bike would not shift so throw it on the side of the house for 30 years until I come along.

Here is a good ball on the left and the hammered one one the right, the bike will not shift with this part.

DSCN5723.jpg

Here is the shift assembly apart with new ball and springs.

DSCN5746.jpg

The other combo in a good shifting Hodaka is the side case shift lever, this make folks shiver. Hodaka's have a bad rep for shifting and for no reason but poor maintenance. Pull the cover apart and clean the muck out.

DSCN5740.jpg

No that little lever you see in the little window is wear the final adjustment is made.

DSCN5741.jpg

Here we took a old center case and milled some off so we can put the whole shift assembly together and adjust the whole thing before assembly.

DSCN5742.jpg

Oh yuck.

DSCN5689.jpg

DSCN5690.jpg

It must come all apart.

DSCN5697.jpg

I forgot to take many photos of cleaning the carb. On some of the racers I would just bead blast it all and then soak it, the problem with that would be a very flat looking finish on the metal instead of the cast finish. So I just really let it soak. Put back together with some new parts.

DSCN5724.jpg

I love the blast cabinet.

DSCN5715.jpg

DSCN5718.jpg

For the cases the centers should have the natural cast look and the outside are painted. Like I said with the carb after blasting they have a flat mat look. So the center will be deburring and this will give it more of a out of the cast look.

DSCN5683.jpg

Find a deburring shop.

DSCN5711-1.jpg

All the hardware must be taken off and zinc plated. Some of the pieces were missing so we had to buy new bolts, new ones don't match old ones because of the markings on top. That must come off.

DSCN5702.jpg

Off with the marking and blasted to get of plating to get new plating.

DSCN5705.jpg

DSCN5708.jpg

• Like 1

Now the parts will be dropped of at the plating shop.

DSCN5710.jpg

Now rebuild the clutch.

DSCN5744.jpg

DSCN5745.jpg

I was able to get the motor together and ready to go into the bike. So first my friend Greg made me this nice engine assembly block, with the holes I can lay the engine down on either side and all the shafts will go into the hole and give me a good steady work platform.

DSCN5860.jpg

DSCN5861.jpg

Of course all new seals and bearings and rebuilt crank.

DSCN5862.jpg

Bottom is sealed up and ready.

DSCN5865.jpg

Its so nice to have new hardware.

DSCN5868.jpg

I was able to source new NOS parts for 95% of this project. Here is a example, the right side case in the bag with factory number as a dealer would of got it from PABATCO

DSCN5875.jpg

DSCN5876.jpg

Electrics and drive on.

DSCN5881.jpg

Complete and ready to place in the bike.

DSCN5888.jpg

Somehow I just notice I missed the whole assembly of the roller. As you can see I changed to blue. Since I took this photo I was not happy with the seat and have had it reworked.

DSCN5792.jpg

Before and Now

DSCN2870.jpg

DSC_4328.jpg

Done. :smirk::bonk:

Amazing!!!!

Ahh yes,,Hodaka,, did a 69 Super Rat 100 a few restores ago..That was a LOT of work! That tank was thin as cheese cloth after derusting..LOL!

In the before pics,i notice a YDS5,,my current restore,Sweet!!

Beautiful. Will it see some time in the 100cc class? I don't know anything about these bikes but it's a 90 or 100 right?

Beautiful. Will it see some time in the 100cc class? I don't know anything about these bikes but it's a 90 or 100 right?

It is a 100cc but no way would it compete in the 100cc class, this is the 100cc I race.

DSCN6102.jpg

What does that piece of pipe coming off the exhaust pipe do? I know a guy who runs a 100 as well, and his pipe has the same thing.

Edited by canammx1

Nice job Kelly! Those Steens are getting popular. I saw 2 others fully restored last month. CanAm, I believe that thing on the pipe lengthens the stinger without actually having a longer stinger. It's designed by Harry Taylor and they call it the Zit.

What does that piece up pipe coming off the exhaust pipe do? I know a guy who runs a 100 as well, and his pipe has the same thing.

HT3pipeA.jpg

It helps with the bottom end. Same idea as the extra chamber on this KTM pipe.

SXS11350500_md.jpg

With the modified headers including chamber you get more power at lower rpms . Positive result of the additional chamber is also the lower noise, approximatly 1 decibel.