Sign in to follow this  

Differences between 03-05 kx125?? potential buyer.

I currently ride an 08 kx450. I miss the fun factor of a two smoke. Looking at getting into a kx125 03 and up. There are three for sale locally. An 03 04 and 05. The 03 being least expensive. Just wondering if there are any advantages to getting the 05 over the 03. The 03 appears to be in the best shape of the three. Thanks.

in short, the linkage is the only difference I can see, the 03 the good linkage albeit at little more compliacted to put together than the simple 2 piece link of the 04 and 05 models

buy on condition, they are a really fun bike, but it's gonna feel like a toy compared to your 450, the kx's are really small

Awesome guys, thanks for the quick responses. I just know how it seems kawi is constantly evolving. Making changes every year it seems on the late model bikes. I just wasn't sure if that was the case with the 03- 05 kx125s. The last two smoke I owned was a 96 kx250. I then had a kx250f that I loved but have since upgraded to a 450. It is a little big for me though at 5'8' 140 lbs. I would love to jump on a flickable little 125. So no upgrades to say motor suspension geometry etc on the 05 compared to the 03?Thanks again guys!

If you want to get an 04/05, I would recommend either finding one with a FULL pro circuit linkage because this made the rear end soo much better apparently. but on our 03 KX we have yet to change the link, we did buy kouba links because we thought we needed them, if you could buy pro circuit dogbones for an 03 though then you would be in the money. other than the rear suspension there are no real complaints that I honestly know of.

the rear suspension linkage changed slightly in 04. But as for the motor side. 03 is an 03. only a few parts are interchangeable. 04-05 are exactly the same.

The airbox on the '03 to '04/'05 is the same but the angle to connect to the carb is a little different.

Like the others have said, The rear linkage is connected to the swingarm and not the frame. The pipe mounting is different. '03 connects on the stinger end of the pipe whereas the'04/'04 connect below the gas tank.

The '04/'05 are faster per MXA.

The '04 and '05 are pretty much the same bike with only very minor changes made.

I have an '07 kx450, an '04 kx250 and an '05 kx125. Riding a 125 makes you feel like a hero. Hearing that thing revving so high makes you think your going faster then you are and it's like a toy throwing it around. In some ways I ride it like a 4t try not to drop the revs taking the wide line in turns. I weight 210 and still love it.

The airbox on the '03 to '04/'05 is the same but the angle to connect to the carb is a little different.

Like the others have said, The rear linkage is connected to the swingarm and not the frame. The pipe mounting is different. '03 connects on the stinger end of the pipe whereas the'04/'04 connect below the gas tank.

The '04/'05 are faster per MXA.

The '04 and '05 are pretty much the same bike with only very minor changes made.

I have an '07 kx450, an '04 kx250 and an '05 kx125. Riding a 125 makes you feel like a hero. Hearing that thing revving so high makes you think your going faster then you are and it's like a toy throwing it around. In some ways I ride it like a 4t try not to drop the revs taking the wide line in turns. I weight 210 and still love it.

Awesome, sounds like a fun ride! I feel like the 04-05 might have a better availability of parts. As I'm sure either bike will need some work.

Differences are in '04 it got a shorter straiter carb inlet manifold along with some porting changes piston locating pin was relocated to be center line for better ring sealing (for some reason the '03 was off centered which makes it's piston unique to that year) along wit the new piston I think matching head mod's the pipe was new and said to be a pro circuit copy. Those changes gave the '04 a 2 hp advantage over the '03 and it was a stronger running motor with a broader power band over the '03.

Aside for the obvious linkage/swing arm changes there was also new for '04 the CR style fork gaurds and brake routing which makes huge difference in the front brake!

and the foot pegs where raised 5 mm's over the '03 and trust me it needed it first bike i've owned in a long time where I felt my feet drag on the ground when fully bottomed out.

Newer tripple clamps changed where the bolts went through in the clamp and that was it for '04 changes over '03 oh yea an it got the KYB bladder forks the '03 had the older rubber bumper style.

The '05 changes where graphics and a taller seat foam with a different seat cover and one unmentioned change that I found out later. The upper tranny shaft bearing got an oil grove casted into the case for better lubrication. I had to buy new center cases for my '04 cause that bearing failed on mine at 18 hrs from new but I got like 70 hrs of hard use on the bike after I rebuilit it.

I had the pro circuit linkage on mine and i'm glad I got it used for cheap on ebay you would be better off getting the suspenion revalved that was the real issue there. the PC pipe will give it alittle more topend over rev and the Vforce V3 will give it alittle more throttle responce snap.

• Like 1