Sign in to follow this  

88-90 rear wheel on a 86?

G'day!

Im looking at a 86 600. the stock rear wheel is a 17 inch, which would cop a road tyre, and im wanting another wheel for my knobbies. will the later drum brake 88-90 wheel work on the earlier bike?

Im hoping so as they are 18 inch and will accept a wider variety of tyres,

Thanks for your help :bonk:

Can't see why not,,Both semi identical.in swingarms and wheel, Probably find a 250 wheel will work as well. Worst case scenario would be maybe a washer as a spacer or some other minor type issue.,Puny brake drums on the 250/600s,,some of the earlier say 79- 82 XR500 non RFVC bikes have better drums (bigger) though I'm unsure on all the issues with fitting one of them.,,Don't know the wheel size 17/18 offhand either,,I do know the 79-82 XL500s with the cush drives are bit of a major to get on the RFVC XR600,,as are the RFVC XL600 cush drive rears (Even more of a major) ,,,the earlier XR500s not so sure.

Edited by Horri

G'day!

Im looking at a 86 600. the stock rear wheel is a 17 inch, which would cop a road tyre, and im wanting another wheel for my knobbies. will the later drum brake 88-90 wheel work on the earlier bike?

Im hoping so as they are 18 inch and will accept a wider variety of tyres,

Thanks for your help :smirk:

Yes the 88-90 18 inch wheel fits. The early 80's models that were 18" won't.