Okay slight dilemma 2t vs 4t

Sorry for the short novel i am about to write haha. So if you do read it all and give me some advice i appreciate it!

Okay so i am getting back into racing/riding next year after two years. When i used to race, I rode a 250f. I race motocross in the C class, and can usually hang around the top 5 guys. With all that being said onto the problem, I plan on racing Open C and i cannot decided on what to buy. I have enough to either get a 06-07ish 250F Depending on whats out there, OR i can probably snag up a lil bit older 250 2 stroke.

If i do go with the 2 stroke, I feel like id be able to put a little bit of money into upgrades for it, but having never raced one im unsure of how comfortable id be on it.

If i go with the 250F, I would be much more comfortable on it. But would also then have to just run it completely stock. So i am a bit stuck on what i should do. I'd like to get some advice of anyone who has raced both the 2t and the 4t and tell me the difference. I am completely stuck on what to do.

thanks in advance if you read it!

ohh, well then I dont know, I dont hit tracks very often, most people say 4 strokes dont tire you so much, that translates into you have to work harder to go fast on a 2 stroke, but some of the current rules force people to ride 4 strokes to be competitive

depends on the series and if you can run a 250 2 stroke in the 250 class

you'll have a hard time finding many people that wont admit a 2 stroke is more fun

ohh, well then I dont know, I dont hit tracks very often, most people say 4 strokes dont tire you so much, that translates into you have to work harder to go fast on a 2 stroke, but some of the current rules force people to ride 4 strokes to be competitive

depends on the series and if you can run a 250 2 stroke in the 250 class

you'll have a hard time finding many people that wont admit a 2 stroke is more fun

Yeah i agree, i know i would have to work harder. But i also know im going to have to either way, in the open class against 450's. Still a petty big toss up between the two bikes. Thanks for the input!

There aare very few people who ride a 250f to their complete ability. I think more people need to work on themselves and less on upgrading the bike. A stock 250f will be competitive if you just practice on yourself getting faster.

Yeah i suppose your right. I'm used to the 250F anyways. Just seems to be alot more 03-05 2 strokes in my price range. But i'll just keep my eye out.

Im not a MX racer, but it makes more sense to go with a 2t, IMO. Your maintenance bill will be much less with a 2t and you will be more competetive with the 450s once you get used to the bike. 250F MX bikes are a scam in my opinion...a cleaver way for the industry to make alot of money on parts...and it worked.

i ride a 250 2t on a mx track and in the woods. i like it because they are more fun to ride and cheap to maintain. but if you have not rode many 2ts and only 4ts you may not like it at first. they are harder to be fast on, on a mx track lot more shifting and clutching. were on a 4t they are a lot eaiser to ride moto (kinda makes me feel like a lazy rider when i ride 4ts) don't have to work very hard to be fast. but if your on a budget i would say get the 2t learn to ride it save money on maint. and you will become a better rider racing a 2t over a 4t. either one are fun to ride though.

There aare very few people who ride a 250f to their complete ability. I think more people need to work on themselves and less on upgrading the bike. A stock 250f will be competitive if you just practice on yourself getting faster.

Never have more true words been spoken. As far as the 2t vs 4t decision I'll say this first. I love 2 strokes, the whole experience of riding one puts a huge grin on my face. With that being said I currently ride and race an 09 Kawi 250f. I've tried a few different 2t's over the years and each time I've found that I'm alot more comfortable and competitive on a 4 stroke in +25 and 250f C. The 2 stroke for me was hit or miss. I would go to some tracks and instantly click, others I might as well been riding backwards. I've seen alot of guys switch from a 4t to 2t and instantly go from top 5 to mid pack at best only to return to the 4t the next season. I do believe the 2t will make you a faster rider on the 4 stroke though.

Never have more true words been spoken. As far as the 2t vs 4t decision I'll say this first. I love 2 strokes, the whole experience of riding one puts a huge grin on my face. With that being said I currently ride and race an 09 Kawi 250f. I've tried a few different 2t's over the years and each time I've found that I'm alot more comfortable and competitive on a 4 stroke in +25 and 250f C. The 2 stroke for me was hit or miss. I would go to some tracks and instantly click, others I might as well been riding backwards. I've seen alot of guys switch from a 4t to 2t and instantly go from top 5 to mid pack at best only to return to the 4t the next season. I do believe the 2t will make you a faster rider on the 4 stroke though.

I'm starting to lean toward the 4t again. I feel like i'll just be alot more comfortable on it, And i just have a good fun race season.

thanks!

My two-cents. I have done the switch you mentioned...now I have a 450 honda but that is another story. The 2t is the way to go. It has more torque than a 250f and you can walk out of low rpms just fine. If you race open class the straights will be killer for 450s and hard for a 250f to maintain all the work from cornering well. A 2t will have better top end and like a 450 make short run-ups to a jump a cinch to clear most things. Then take what you learn on the 2t and switch to a 450 efi of some kind and you will be set.

Nothing wrong with a 250F for MX, as long as you dont mind spending time and money on maintenance.

I've never had a problem with any of mine but I do stay on top of the maintenance. The threat of a catastrophic failure is there and I'd be lying if I said I didn't think about it from time to time. Most of the $2000 horror stories comes from someone paying a shop to do the work and half of it is labor. I figured out a long time ago if you want to save the money learn to work on it yourself!

I have had a multitude of bikes both 2 and 4......for woods/HS's I would pick a 2 stroke 99% of the time (probably something like a KTM 200XC-W, best woods bike I have ever rode) and for track riding I would pick a 250F every time, they are just so predictable to ride on a track, they dont do anything crazy and have plenty of power

My two-cents. I have done the switch you mentioned...now I have a 450 honda but that is another story. The 2t is the way to go. It has more torque than a 250f and you can walk out of low rpms just fine. If you race open class the straights will be killer for 450s and hard for a 250f to maintain all the work from cornering well. A 2t will have better top end and like a 450 make short run-ups to a jump a cinch to clear most things. Then take what you learn on the 2t and switch to a 450 efi of some kind and you will be set.

Haha damn dude, now you have made me change my mind a bit. So many good points! and i did plan on buying a newer bike the year after next. shit maybe i'll just man up and get a 450 now.