Sign in to follow this  

Cooling system help.

Hey guys, I have a 2010 XCW530 Six Days that I has been having some overheating problems. One problem was my radiator fan was not coming on. Fixed that but I was still over heating to the point when I would stop and shut the bike off it would not start until it cooled off. I pulled the T-Stat out and checked it and it looked like it was sticking a bit so I pulled it out and put a larger o-ring to seal the cover. Now my question is, have any of you just pulled the damn thing out and run without a stat??? I didn't have a t-stat in my WR and it ran fine and most of the dirt bikes I've ever seen don't have t-stats in them. So what do ya think???

For some reason KTM has been supplying their newer fan kits with a too hot 100C or 100/95C thermo-sensor. You would be better off replacing the stock sensor with an inexpensive 95/90C sensor from the '04 BMW 318i available from you local auto parts store (like NAPA).

Now my question is, have any of you just pulled the damn thing out and run without a stat??? I didn't have a t-stat in my WR and it ran fine and most of the dirt bikes I've ever seen don't have t-stats in them. So what do ya think???

I pulled the T-stat out of my 09 450, plugged the little bypass return to the radiator and also went to a waterless coolant. Works well now. When you look at the thermostat opening, set at full open, it looks restricted to me.

For some reason KTM has been supplying their newer fan kits with a too hot 100C or 100/95C thermo-sensor. You would be better off replacing the stock sensor with an inexpensive 95/90C sensor from the '04 BMW 318i available from you local auto parts store (like NAPA).

Cool deal thanks.

I pulled the T-stat out of my 09 450, plugged the little bypass return to the radiator and also went to a waterless coolant. Works well now. When you look at the thermostat opening, set at full open, it looks restricted to me.

Do I have to plug the bypass return line??? Is the bypass line the one coming off the bottom of the stat housing? The hose that looks like a p-trap?

It should not make a diff.Once the t-state opens up its the same amount of coolent going thru if its in or not.The only diff would be in faster warm-ups.

I would check the jetting.If you have not rejetted they are supper lean from the factory.

It should not make a diff.Once the t-state opens up its the same amount of coolent going thru if its in or not.The only diff would be in faster warm-ups.

I would check the jetting.If you have not rejetted they are supper lean from the factory.

Cool thanks, that's kinda what I was thinkin. I was talkin to a buddy last weekend and he said pretty much the only reason for the stat is for warming up the motor fast for racing. I don't race anymore so I am good. I have ordered a JD kit for myself for Christmas (woohoo) as soon as it comes in I will install it. I already talked to James Dean himself and give him all of my info and he gave me a good starting point so I'm good to go... :bonk: