Sign in to follow this  

Tips for transitioning from a 2 to 4 stroke?

Any need to know tips for making the transition to a 4 stroke from a 2 stroke?

if you ride a 4t like you would a 2t then it will be a blast! however, you have to love the sharp and precise handling of many 2t bikes.

4t Less arm pump, faster lap times, easier hitting jumps right after a turn.

2t More fun, better handling, lighter. I just saying.

that is mainly in an MX track. 2t has upper hand offroad usually.

you'll have to learn how to use the power in turns. Instead of pinning it and fanning the clutch, you don't touch the clutch unless your a gear high and need more power. makes turning a lot smoother. instead of staying "on the pipe" you'll have power everywhere and alot more traction. You'll learn to cut your line instead of sliding your line.

If you are incapable of answering the OP's question, then refrain from the childish comments. This is not yet another moronic 2S Vs 4S threads. There are plenty of those to make fools of yourselves in. Next off topic remark earns a Xmas ban.

The 4S is easier to ride in sloppy conditions as the traction tends to be better along with a more linear power delivery. You will also find that there is power all across the throttle range. You will not have that explosive burst of power when at the top of the power curve due to a 4S flatter torque spread. You will find the 4S is less flickable (heavier engine) and that the engine has a greater effect (due to the rotating mass)when in mid air during jumps. You will have engine braking when going down steep hills. Jetting is simpler due to not have a oil mix causing a jet change. The 4S carb is a little more complicated but not a whole lot.

You'll find that you have to control the throttle coming into turns due to the compression braking. When I got my first 4-stroke, I found that by the time I actually got to a turn, I was going slower than I was used to. It's weird at first but, eventually you use it to your advantage. :bonk:

The biggest thing I hate about 4 strokes is the front end dive whenever you chop the throttle. Especially noticable in deep sand and mud not to mention the different loading on the suspension. You can't skim over stuff the same way as a 2 stroke.

Any need to know tips for making the transition to a 4 stroke from a 2 stroke?

Pick up an extra shift every 2 weeks. And watch that engine braking off jumps and ledges.

As for the riding it is different, however the four strokes love to have fresh oil with oil filters and fresh air filters. Keep those good and the bike will be good to you.