What gearing for woods riding? 97 CR 250 with 13 and 50 tooth

I have an 01 cr250 and run 13/52 combo I have had it for 2 years of trail riding only and it works well.

OK thanks. Does it help down low for torque? I need to pull this thing out up some muddy hills (And kick mud on the guys behind me, they like it) LOL

I'm thinking of going down a tooth on the counter sprocket to be cheap. Anyone done that?

14:53 would be about the same effective gearing as 13:50.

Actually, 14 / 54 is about the same as 13 / 50.

What rear chain guards are people running for the large rear sprockets? My 50T rear already makes the chain rub hard against the bottom of the guard.

I'm running a stock chain guard. It rubs but isn't so bad that I've had to modify it. I do have to run a slightly longer chain and run the rear wheel towards the back. I don't have much adjustment... I've never tried it but I have seen a 54 on the back of a CR250 with a stock chain guard. He had almost no adjustment left to work with (maybe none).

I really need to figure this out. Getting the bike tomo. Thinking going up 2-3 teeth on the rear is the best way? What do you guys think. It's been a couple years since I've owned a bike and my head is just not figuring this out yet.

I'll ride it on stock gearing at first but wanna know what sprocket to look for. Thanks guys

Edit: Also any help on the number to set my sag to and how I should adjust clickers for the tight muddy woods would be very helpful. More I can learn now the better. I used to be a master of my RM250 but I can't remember if it's better to go stiff in the woods and soft on the track. (This bike has a 02 rear shock if that makes a difference)

12/50 FTW. Haven't notice swingarm wear.

..just about the same.

I got a 12/51 It's great for tight stuff but top end isn't so great..

Maybe ride it first. I would just start by buying a smaller countershaft(like someone said) and judging from there. Everyone has a different view of what trail gearing is . It may or may not be the same for what you ride.

To make a good recommendation we need to know what your definition of "trail riding is".

When I go trail riding in michigan it typically is wide enough for a quad and is quite sandy and faster riding, here 13:49 or 13:50 works pretty well.

When I go single track riding (wheel path about 1' wide) 13:51 works pretty well.

For tighter enduro work I like a 13:51 or might even try a 52. The main reason is to get the 1st gear lower.

yes, narrow ST is slow going and need to slow first gear down. I don't care about top speed or transport sections. The only places we have here for that are forest roads which are riddled with the odd user out in the middle of nowhere with their 1981 Dodge Caravan blocking the road right around a blind corner or their treating as a race track for said caravan or or or..... They're not a closed course so I typically max speed them at 30 MPH. Makes me live to ride another day. :bonk:

Thanks guys. Looks like a 12 tooth counter sprocket is the plan. Can't wait to roost and carve some ruts. Woods around here is heavy clay, rocks and trees everywhere. Lots of up hill and down hill. Creeks to cross everywhere. Usually a quad can manage but lots of places only a bike can go. It's a mess. I'll take some pics of spots when we take this bike out. We've had way above average rain for Nov/Dec. It's a swamp out there.

Thanks guys. Looks like a 12 tooth counter sprocket is the plan. Can't wait to roost and carve some ruts. Woods around here is heavy clay, rocks and trees everywhere. Lots of up hill and down hill. Creeks to cross everywhere. Usually a quad can manage but lots of places only a bike can go. It's a mess. I'll take some pics of spots when we take this bike out. We've had way above average rain for Nov/Dec. It's a swamp out there.

That sounds awesome!!!!:bonk: It's nice and messy right now here too!!