Sign in to follow this  

difference between 05 and 08?

Very new to the R scene, and I understand the 08s are the best. What would be the drawback of buying an 05? What are the differences between an 05 and 08? Thank you very much.

BTW... I see an 05 on CL (guy claims 2 hrs on bike) for 3900. Worth it?

Very new to the R scene, and I understand the 08s are the best. What would be the drawback of buying an 05? What are the differences between an 05 and 08? Thank you very much.

BTW... I see an 05 on CL (guy claims 2 hrs on bike) for 3900. Worth it?

you cant go wrong with a low hr 05 , the diff in a 08 is they leaned the engine forward 5 mm , put on a bumb steer damper and some electronics that mellow out the power , if it really has 2 hrs on I would say it is worth it , but it is probably above market value , 05 to 08 is a great bike :bonk:

Edited by DH367

You can buy a low hour 08 for that price , I know of one if you're looking

You should be able to find a 05 for around $2000. Or get a newer bike for less than the price of the one your looking at.

thanks guys, I saw the pics of the bike and it looks amazing, but it was missing the shroud stickers??? I know 3900 is alot, I looked on kbb, and it said 2500 in excelent condition.

Man, 3900 seems like a bunch.

A buddy of mine sold his 05 that was nice for 2800 I think.

If the bike is spotless...and a real 2 hr bike, its worth 3k probably.

My issue would by why a 2hr bike doesnt have any OEM graphics still on it. New plastic and an afternoon with some spray paint and a scotch brite on these things can make them look freakin brand new.

Man, 3900 seems like a bunch.

A buddy of mine sold his 05 that was nice for 2800 I think.

If the bike is spotless...and a real 2 hr bike, its worth 3k probably.

My issue would by why a 2hr bike doesnt have any OEM graphics still on it. New plastic and an afternoon with some spray paint and a scotch brite on these things can make them look freakin brand new.

:bonk:

i bought a low hour with some nice setup items, handle bars, pegs, seat cover, and few other items. it is an '08 and i paid $3500. that was in april and i've rode it all season, about every weekend til now, normal maintenance.

05 vs 08

05 forks are 20mm longer for the 20" front wheel options

08 forks and shock have new internals and valving

08 has 1mm larger carb and 1mm smaller exhaust valves

08 has a new since 07 front mastercylinder brake lever linkage

08 has the 1-3 gear mapping

07-08 is new subframe from the 06 model with new right side panel

08 hs 22mm clamps (24mm previous)

08 has HPSD

That is the meat of it.

The motor on the 2008 is in my opinion the best ever produced for a stock mx bike.

I would almost loose a toe to bring back 2008 ! :smile:

I had an 05 and then an 07 and after setting up the suspension there was very little noticeable difference for my skill level (vet intermediate). Slight change in power delivery and maybe slight changs in handling "feel".

The '08 has the 22mm offset so there also a slight change in handling.

But compared to my 04 (which I still have), the '05 and up is a big leap forward in handling, at least for MX. The '04 has a push that is hard to dial out. And even when dialed the '05 up still beats the '04 and older by a good amount.

Bottom line is buy the lowest hour and best deal on an '05-08 and you will be happy.