Sign in to follow this  

YZ 125 Project bike (Anybody else got some already in progress??)

I would've posted this in the Yamaha section, but I was curious to see some of your project bike pictures.

Anyways, a friend of mine bought a YZ 125 (in not so good condition). He had the top end rebuilt, and the bottom end checked. It was in need of cosmetic help, also. The plastics were spray painted, but he rode it a couple of times that way so if he wrecked it wouldn't matter too much.

He kinda jumped forward and order new plastics, the front and rear fender, along with the number plate. Rode it once more, and it scared him.. I tried over and over for him to get back on it, but he refused. He's talking about selling it, but in it's current condition.. he's not going to get much. I told him if he comes up with a number, I'll see about taking it of his hands. I've looked at the bike, in order to make it presentable, It needs:

-Bar pad

-Radiator Shrouds

-Side Plates

-Graphics

-Grips

-TIME

The bike is pristine condition is worth about $800-1000, We're looking at about $200 to get to "presentable", $400 to get to that racing pristine condition. The difference is it's coming close to needing tires, and the front disc has a small bend in it, it may need replacing, then some other small things.

I've got a number in mind, BUT, without telling you.. what do you guys think my max offer should be? ALSO, post pictures of your before/afters of your restored bikes!

all of what I see is cosmetics.

what year is it?

Yea, it's all cosmetics for the majority.. Its due on some stuff, like radiator hoses, I really just want something for a backup.. and it has a lot of potential. It's a 95', sorry I didn't mention it.

I got my 04 yz125 for $800. It had a wraped head, and a blown head gasket. I put about $80 into it and so far its great. I did a lot of cleaning, new seat cover, grips, brake lever, and i'm putting a new needle in the carb. I can upload the before and after pics if you want.

i understand were your coming from, but i wouldn't even bother trying to restore a 95 unless you want a vintage down the road or a just for shits bike, look for a 02+ if you want to race it.

+1 to woods racer. At the very least get a 99 since that is the modern engine. Restoring bikes costs more than it does to just get a newer one 9/10 times