Sign in to follow this  

Trying to lower seat by adjusting shock - help

Hi everyone,

I just brought home a 2001 XR250R which I LOVE!! The previous owner showed me the adjustment on the shock - the two threaded notched rings on the top of the shock. I loosened the top one since it is mainly for locking the second one. But then I can hardly get the bottom one to move. I'm using a screw driver and hammer to adjust it and it hardly moved. First of all, it's hard to get to. Second, I believe the pressure of the shock spring is making it hard.

Is there a trick to doing this? I tried searching and could not find any answer. When I sit on it I barely can touch my toes. Although it may have better suspension this way, I want to touch a little more for now since this is my first dirt bike in 30 years. I just plan to trail ride with my two boys.

Thanks!

Warren

xr250r.jpg

yep, that is the correct adjustment point.there is a correct tool( it is an odd looking spanner) that makes it much easier, however your method will work.better to use a drift rather than a screwdriver on your method, just be aware of the direction of force if your tool slips of the crown.dont be afraid to hit it hard.

i suggest you look up the factory specs of the loaded spring length,(in the service manual under race sag).

if this is for offroad use,the sag will change the way the bike handles.

the lower the seat (with the riders weight on the bike), the better traction, handeling & acceleration.

the higher, obviously longer wheel travel before bottoming out (the rear wheel & rear fender.)

there are several nice write ups from pro riders on this site going in to much greater detail.

bill

To make it as easy as possible to turn the nut, the bike needs be on a stand to take weight off the shock. But it will still be hard to turn because of the spring preload on it. There's nothing wrong, that's just the way it is. Several lighter taps with your hammer and screwdriver are better than fewer full force beatings.

Spray some WD40 on the threads.

You need to learn about setting sag and not just back preload off the spring until you can flat foot it. Lots of threads here to tell you how. Use the search function.

Congrats on the new bike.

Thanks for the info. I'll spray some WD40 to help possibly loosen it up some. I don't have a stand for the bike yet but maybe I can come up with something for now to do this. I have a lot of hammering to do today! My pants inseam is 29.5 and I barely can touch my toes. So I don't expect it to get to flat foot - just a couple more toes on the ground! I'm a little intimitaded by the size of this bike. I sat on my friend's Yamaha TTR125 and it was perfect for the size. But I kept reading how I would want more power so I ran into this XR250R.

Btw, if I move the spring up 1.5 inches, how far will that lower the seat? The same amount?

Thanks,

Warren

Btw, if I move the spring up 1.5 inches, how far will that lower the seat? The same amount?

No. A change in one doesn't equal the same in the other. If it actually has 1.5" of preload on it, that seems like A LOT.

I worked on it more today and I didn't get very far. I think it lowered very little but I think that was enough even though I'm still on my toes. I rode it around some in my neighborhood and went fine. I just have to get used to the bike. It's too bad I have to put it up now until Christmas day!!

Warren

hammer?

heavier hammer?

:bonk:

wouldn't the correct toll be a spanner wrench?

:smirk:

next:

'lowering' your bike by softening the suspension overly

sounds very scary

almost like lowering your car by stabbing the tires

if you just want to putsy wth your boys, get an XR200 or a CRF150

they are smaller and lower

or chop your seat, off pavement you don't need a seat anyways

if you insist on screwing with your XRs geometry

get longer linkage or have a professional shorten your shock and adjust it for your weight and riding style

and raise the forks in the tripples, too

Don't doubt the amazing abilities of a BFH. That and duct tape will fix almost anything! :banana:

hammer?

heavier hammer?

next:

sounds very scary

get longer linkage or have a professional shorten your shock and adjust it for your weight and riding style

All it lowered was maybe 1/2 inch so I'm sure that won't affect anything.

Warren

Sorry but it affects everything. You also need to loosen the triple clamp bolts and RAISE the forks EQUALLY in the clamps to balance out what you did to the rear. And read your manual for proper torque values to use on the clamping bolts. Everything you do to the suspension has a direct, immediate effect on how the bike reacts and handles. Just slow trail riding will be ok, but when you start to go faster things may not go as you expect.

Don't doubt the amazing abilities of a BFH. That and duct tape will fix almost anything! :smirk:

suppose redneck rigging is a long term temporary fix for something you just broke in your attempt to make it work

the BFH leaves BFblack nails, too :bonk:

suppose redneck rigging is a long term temporary fix for something you just broke in your attempt to make it work

the BFH leaves BFblack nails, too :smirk:

Merry Christmas, fiep. :bonk:

Sorry to inform you but adjusting the spring is adjusting the preload not actually lowering the seat!! If you want to alter seat height replace the shock of like previous response above change shock height. But not recommended.

Sorry to inform you but adjusting the spring is adjusting the preload not actually lowering the seat!! If you want to alter seat height replace the shock of like previous response above change shock height. But not recommended.

What he said. Go back and set your spring for preload to get your suspension to work corectly again. There is valving in there that needs to run at the right height. Screew with it and you throw the whole workings of the shock off.

Ways to lower the bike.

1) Have the suspension shortened.

2) Lowering link for the rear.

3) Shave the seat a bit. (I would find a used seat here or on ebay.)

4) Lower profile rear tire. A "90" height or brand of tire that is lower.

When I switched from a well worn Kenda TrackMaster II 760 to a Kenda Millville, I noticed the rear was much taller. Granted the TM II was nearly bald, but it has a U shaped profile, while the Milleville had a round profile. My XR400 felt like I jacked up the rear by over an inch. I hated the Millville tire, liked the TM II rear. (Never heard a good review of the TM II front tire.)

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1000929&page=8&highlight=tire+comparison

005-1.jpg

The the XCMH is a 120/100...the MotoZ is a 120/90.

That said the Pirelli XCMH is a BIG 120/100!

A 17" rear rim (84-85 XR250R) will lower the back 1" but tire selection is limited.

To adjust the spring preload:

Put the bike on a stand so the rear tire is off the ground, this reduces pressure on the spring.

I use Teflon spray lube on the threads and the lower spring perch and sometimes I can turn the spring by hand and it will turn the preload adjuster nut; much faster than a drift.

The linkage ratio near full extension is about 4:1 so changing spring preload 1/4" will change sag 1", but 1/4" is still several turns of the preload nut.

A 17" rear rim (84-85 XR250R) will lower the back 1" but tire selection is limited.

interesting attempt

old drum rear wheel in a disc bike?

while you are at it, NX250 has 16" in the rear

wouldn't that be even better?

hammer?

heavier hammer?

I've broken 2 of the "proper" wrenches.

Use a BFH. :lol:

hammer?

heavier hammer?

next:

sounds very scary

Um, it's the preferred method as lowering links change the rate of the linkage.