Sign in to follow this  

jetting problem from start up?

bike: 03 yz250f

MJ: 182

Pj: 45

needle clip: 5th position(starting from the bottom)

air screw: 2 turns out

weather: 45 degrees-60 degrees

the bike has been a project and I went through the carb to clean and rejet it. I also freshened up the top end some. anyway, bike starts up fine with just a few kicks but doesnt idle quiet right? i adjust the idle screw but it doesnt seem to fix my problem. with the bike somewhat warm, I can open the throttle some and then the bike goes into "real" idle mode and the revs get stuck even with no throttle until i tap the kill switch for a second, then it falls back to slow idle. other times, I open the throttle and the bike will just shut off. I figure im running rich? after start up, I swipe my finger in the exhaust and there is somewhat moist black unburned gas in the exhaust. can anyone make new suggestions to get my bike spot on for jetting? :bonk:

bike: 03 yz250f

MJ: 182

Pj: 45

needle clip: 5th position(starting from the bottom)

air screw: 2 turns out

weather: 45 degrees-60 degrees

the bike has been a project and I went through the carb to clean and rejet it. I also freshened up the top end some. anyway, bike starts up fine with just a few kicks but doesnt idle quiet right? i adjust the idle screw but it doesnt seem to fix my problem. with the bike somewhat warm, I can open the throttle some and then the bike goes into "real" idle mode and the revs get stuck even with no throttle until i tap the kill switch for a second, then it falls back to slow idle. other times, I open the throttle and the bike will just shut off. I figure im running rich? after start up, I swipe my finger in the exhaust and there is somewhat moist black unburned gas in the exhaust. can anyone make new suggestions to get my bike spot on for jetting? :bonk:

It sounds like you installed the plate on the slide upside down (hole should be on the bottom), and your pilot jet is still dirty.