Sign in to follow this  

50hp drz vs race bike Questions for those with big HP

Hey all, I have been in quite a delima the past month or so. I currently have a near stock drz (3x3/jetted/slip on). I have been doing a ton of research, watching different dyno vids, and just plain reading A LOT. I have been leaning very heavily towards fcr39/BB/MRD/Hotcams but for the roughly 2k I spend on that I could sell my Bike and get a husky or ktm. I LOVE THE RELIABILITY and LOW MAINTENANCE of my drz. The drz is my only bike at the moment and ride every day that weather is cooperating. I realize I am probably going to get a biased answer on a DRZ forum so what I am asking you guys with the same mods, what do you really think of the power of your bike? What do you have to compare it to? Is this going to give the drz mx bike-esque power? and would you suggest this route?

My dad has an sxv450 which is so fun to ride, but its currently sitting in the garage not starting:bonk: and this is why I love my drz.

I also Plan to add steel braided brake lines for a less mushy brake feel

Here she is currently

6332652782_795b69fa75_z.jpg

Edited by omgshesaboy

I just did the 50hp kit this last weekend after riding the DRZ in mostly stock form (minus basic mods) for 6 months. I contemplated selling the DRZ, and even listed it and had a few replies. I'd love a KTM or the likes, but I simply ride too much and don't have the desire to do more maintenance than what the DRZ calls for.

If you don't do a lot of riding, and don't mind a little extra maintenance that some of the other non 450 bikes require, then I'd sell the DRZ.

Other than that, the bike is a monster now compared to what it was before.

I just did the 50hp kit this last weekend after riding the DRZ in mostly stock form (minus basic mods) for 6 months. I contemplated selling the DRZ, and even listed it and had a few replies. I'd love a KTM or the likes, but I simply ride too much and don't have the desire to do more maintenance than what the DRZ calls for.

If you don't do a lot of riding, and don't mind a little extra maintenance that some of the other non 450 bikes require, then I'd sell the DRZ.

Other than that, the bike is a monster now compared to what it was before.

I had my bike listed too, got a lot of traffic and wimped out twice so I took it off CL.

One thing to think about is resale. If you put money into the DRZ you'll never get it back. If you buy a more expensive bike you'll get some of it back. More me, if I buy a more expensive bike, I'll want to modify it also. Pick your poison.

I'd like to try a KTM 690, but when I bought my DRZ I also tested a KTM with the LC4 engine and I just felt more at home on the DRZ.

I'm slowly doing one mod at a time. That way each year or twice a year, I kind of get a new bike.

I put 5000 miles on my bike this summer. I wonder how some of these 450's and 600's that only hold 1 Qt. of oil old hold up with that kind of use.

One thing to think about is resale. If you put money into the DRZ you'll never get it back. If you buy a more expensive bike you'll get some of it back. More me, if I buy a more expensive bike, I'll want to modify it also. Pick your poison.

I'd like to try a KTM 690, but when I bought my DRZ I also tested a KTM with the LC4 engine and I just felt more at home on the DRZ.

I'm slowly doing one mod at a time. That way each year or twice a year, I kind of get a new bike.

I put 5000 miles on my bike this summer. I wonder how some of these 450's and 600's that only hold 1 Qt. of oil old hold up with that kind of use.

Yes, I got my bike in august and by october had but about 1200 miles on it, I imagine once spring hits by the end of the summer Ill have put 5-8k on it

Here are a couple questions:

Do you want to go 100 mph or 200 mph?

Do you have twistie roads where it's hard to maintain speed or are they straight?

How long have you been riding?

Can you afford more expensive parts and more of them?

I went through the phase of having a 250, then a 400, then an 1100, and then back to a 400 (DRZ this time around). Small bikes are more fun and only break one cylinder at a time.

Cheers, Steve

I have had all kinds of bikes. Dirt, dual sport, touring and sport bikes from 250 - 750 currently have a srad gsxr 750 in the garage that I love. But the DRZ takes the cake for fun and ease of riding. srad is going up for sale so i can do more to the drz.... LOL

Dan :bonk::ride:

Hey all, I have been in quite a delima the past month or so. I currently have a near stock drz (3x3/jetted/slip on). I have been doing a ton of research, watching different dyno vids, and just plain reading A LOT. I have been leaning very heavily towards fcr39/BB/MRD/Hotcams but for the roughly 2k I spend on that I could sell my Bike and get a husky or ktm. I LOVE THE RELIABILITY and LOW MAINTENANCE of my drz. The drz is my only bike at the moment and ride every day that weather is cooperating. I realize I am probably going to get a biased answer on a DRZ forum so what I am asking you guys with the same mods, what do you really think of the power of your bike? What do you have to compare it to? Is this going to give the drz mx bike-esque power? and would you suggest this route?

My dad has an sxv450 which is so fun to ride, but its currently sitting in the garage not starting:bonk: and this is why I love my drz.

I also Plan to add steel braided brake lines for a less mushy brake feel

Here she is currently

6332652782_795b69fa75_z.jpg

Nice bike by the way

Dan

I remember reading about that now. I think I'm going to get the DOT trailtech. I understand it uses H3 bulbs so it's easier to change them. I want to run a 25 watt low (so I can run a heated vest) and 100 watt high beam.

I would think with the X2 you should be able to switch the number plated and headlight easily if you wanted.

Yes, I put about 600 miles on the bike with that setup and wasnt hassled by the police one time, but found myself riding more and more at night so I want something with better visibility, this was no good on the country roads late at night, but I cant bring myself to strap that brick back on the front of my bike.

Did you look here ?.. This is where you will find most your answers...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=10716831#post10716831

Adding more power to a DRZ is just going to give you a faster DRZ....It won't turn it into another bike....

the drz mx bike-esque power?

Leave out the mx from this quote and that's what you got.....

If you happy with your bike in other areas excluding performance..."Just Do It"..:bonk:

I have read through that thread too many times, The answers I am looking for are probably only the answers I am going to get when my drz has said mods.

The led's are fog lights I picked up at autozone and just happened to fit perfectly, not dot approved : ) but effective for the amount of riding I was doing at night, but I have been riding more and more at night so I ordered a TrailTech X2

if you want power to pull the bigger more expensive bikes you need to do the full stroker engine..once done you will turn heads(the race starts at 2min 50sec)

Just wondering, what rear/side fenders are those?

Did you just chop the stock ones?