Sign in to follow this  

get the look at the track?

ive got an 86 yz250 and a 74 yz125, and i just got them almost where i want them to go vintage racing in 2012. anyways, i couldnt resist giving them a shakedown at the track today. I loaded up the truck with the bikes and went to Milestone Ranch MX in riverside, CA. really nice track, and with christmas break in full swing, a little more crowded than i anticipated. anyways, you vintage guys ever get the look when you show up with the old bikes? i got a few double takes, a few guys slowing down and giving me the "your actually going to ride that here?" look, the occasional what is that? well that was more towards the 74, the 86 is just one of those bikes you either love or hate the way it looks. also got some strange looks when i fired up the 74, since it has no silencer, straight stinger.

anyways i had a good time, it was pretty akward going from one bike and switching to the other. the whole experience started out like one of those western movies where the new guy shows up in the saloon and everyone stops and stares.

Happens all the time when I show up with my 100cc Super Rat.

DSCN6102.jpg

And then the eyes pop out of there head when they see this guy on his 100cc Super Rat

2323232327Ffp5395nu65336259WSNRCG3438867534nu0mrj.jpg

That's me on the left and Tomahawk on the right, oh the only reason Im in front is he is helping me with technique otherwise I would be eating dust. This was at Perris Raceway.

2323232327Ffp5393nu65336259WSNRCG343885334nu0mrj.jpg

Even though he raced on the big factory team's, he still loves his roots.

TommyCroft.jpg

hodakadays2007_0663_000.jpg

If you see us at the track stop and say hi.

I myself don't really care for the classic mx bikes, however I do appreciate them because I realize that with out them I wouldn't be riding my crf. Hats off to all you guys that do vintage racing. That class to me is way more rider than bike..

Goes back to that saying of Iron men and Iron Bikes. with little to no travel the body takes a toll I'm sure.

Hey Tucraysz2, this is the vintage forum,methinks maybe you have some latent vintage tendencies to be here.We welcome all,and will soon have you worshiping at the altar of bikes with multiple shocks and distinct personalities.Hey you can still love your crf and also an 74 cr250 elsinore for example. see ya soon.

I race my '80 YZ465 against modern bikes occasionally fer the fun of it. I always holeshot the guys next to me. The sound of a big bore smoker intimidates I guess. The torque doesn't hurt.

I got the look when I showed up at the track with my dads 93 kx125 about a year ago. Its not nearly as old as the ones you guys have but I still got the "you might as well keep that piece of crap in the truck" look.

You should have seen there faces after practice.:bonk:

IMG_0698.jpg

Good good stuff!

Nice to see ya doing your thing on the great classic rides, thanks for sharing and please keep them coming! T. Croft still one of my all time favs! Next time you see him, tell him I said so!

:bonk:

The TT gets some attention on practice days as well. I think it's great that people come by ask about it and comment on it. I do get some funny questions and comments sometimes. It's entertaining.

IMG_3445_sm.jpg

Of course, I have to be selective which tracks I ride. This bike just doesn't cut it in whoops and rhythm sections. Actually, my favorite local track doesn't even have a practice day, race days only. I've raced my '88 there in modern classes, and I'll likely take the TT out there this winter and race the Beginner modern class before the local vintage series starts up again.

Edited by RacerXr
clarification

Scalejockey, that is a beautiful Yamaha. Wow, you have kept in great condition.

It's not quite as nice as the first pic these days,that was soon after the 'restore' and it's first award. I build them to ride!:bonk:

• Like 1

I rode my 1974 suzuki tm 400 @ red bud this year on practice day befor the vet races .I gave my boss fits on his crf 450 for part of a lap but he eventually prevailed. i staye with him from the start over the ski jump and he got away from me a bit in the next woop section.

I still like to take my highly modified TT500s out with the modern bikes to "school" them once in a while. I really love when the young guys (I'm 50) see my old twin shocker and say things like "We'll wait for you every so often" or "This trail might be a little tough on that old thing". The looks on their faces are priceless when we finish a loop and they were eating my dust the whole time! Can you say RESPECT!