Sign in to follow this  

USED 2011 kx250f. what to look for???

I should be checking out a 2011 kx250f soon.

The bike is used and never raced (I was told)

What should I look for\test so I don't get a ''lemon''

I know It can get expensive if there is engine issues.

if it wont idle coming into corners or dies while at low idle. Your TPS sensor is bad. Its $150 part. the radiator gaurds are fragile. Look for breaks there. Other then that. It would be nice if he has a hour meter

I would look at the 2012 kx250f, the 2011 has had rod failures. I know from our 2011,the rod went through the front of the cases at 24 hrs. We have completely rebuilt the motor and still don't know if it will make it past the next 24 hrs,looking to sell ours to up grade.

Chris, I remember you saying something about yours tossing a rod.. Why did you put an oem crank back in???? Only reason I went oem with mine was because of LLs stock class. I will be tearing the crank out of mine soon and sending it off to falicon to have them put one of there rods in and balance it..

Honestly ,I had the motor rebuilt with oem because Kawasaki supplied us with a new one free of charge and we plan on getting a 2012 to replace the 2011.

yeah well kawi covered the crank on mine also.. Had I not been tied down to using oem parts I would have just sent my crank off to have a knife rod installed and been done with it then and there.. I duno.. I'm gonna send this blown crank to failicon to have it blueprinted, ballenced, stroked, and a knife rod installed... then I will just have the crank thats in it now also sent off for a rebuild and sell it once it gets back..

I have too much invested in this 2011 right now that I can't justify upgrading to a 2012 I'll loose to much money.. I can convert the 2011 to a 2012 setup for less then trying to sell the 2011 and buying a 2012... I'm pretty much done with the 250fs anyways.. Gonna go to a 250 two stroke next anyways

From what I read, the rod issue seems to be an isolated issue. Maybe a bad batch? The way guys use the bike?(hard racing vs weekend track use)

I can't see kawi not testing bikes before it hits show rooms.

Maybe we should start a thread on failures keeping in mind hours, use, modifications and maintenance habbits( I know I'm kind of a procrastinator)

I wont be racing it. Just fun weekends at the tracks. 20 min at a time and not even 100% the whole time.

Edited by alzzaco

From what I read, the rod issue seems to be an isolated issue. Maybe a bad batch? The way guys use the bike?(hard racing vs weekend track use)

I can't see kawi not testing bikes before it hits show rooms.

Maybe we should start a thread on failures keeping in mind hours, use, modifications and maintenance habbits( I know I'm kind of a procrastinator)

I wont be racing it. Just fun weekends at the tracks. 20 min at a time and not even 100% the whole time.

Well, if it has a "BAD batch" crank. it could fail reguardless of how it's ridden..

How ever I think my issue was a combination of a bad rod and the major abuse it had gotten for the previous 10-15hrs of time before it let go.. The bike was being ringed out quite a bit..