Traded for a 05 RMZ 450, in over my head?

I traded a yamaha banshee with a title, for a blown up, 2005 rmz 450.

In addition to the RMZ, the owner gave me a 'running' 06 rmz 450 bottom end to replace the blown up 05 bottom.

I have already have taken the blown up motor out've the rmz.

Assuming the 06 motor is a good one, can i get cylinder head work done (soda blasting, detonation cleaning, etc) a new ring piston & gasket kit, 4 new valves, springs, a new spark plug, new coolant, new oil and simply bolt back up and go, or am i missing something here?

I do have the manual, and, am working my way through this process.

I don't have $100 dollar bills falling out've my pocket so i may have to fore go the wiseco piston kit and go with something like the pro-x set up.

I traded a yamaha banshee with a title, for a blown up, 2005 rmz 450.

In addition to the RMZ, the owner gave me a 'running' 06 rmz 450 bottom end to replace the blown up 05 bottom.

I have already have taken the blown up motor out've the rmz.

Assuming the 06 motor is a good one, can i get cylinder head work done (soda blasting, detonation cleaning, etc) a new ring piston & gasket kit, 4 new valves, springs, a new spark plug, new coolant, new oil and simply bolt back up and go, or am i missing something here?

I do have the manual, and, am working my way through this process.

I don't have $100 dollar bills falling out've my pocket so i may have to fore go the wiseco piston kit and go with something like the pro-x set up.

First lets start by telling us what was wrong with teh 05. Blown up motor can mean a lot of things. Was the lower end toast or something? There were changes from 05 to 06 but i couldnt tell you exactly what they were. I think mostly some porting work on the head.

First lets start by telling us what was wrong with teh 05. Blown up motor can mean a lot of things. Was the lower end toast or something? There were changes from 05 to 06 but i couldnt tell you exactly what they were. I think mostly some porting work on the head.

He wasn't specific as to why it actually blew up. Him and his little brother & other friend couldn't stop fawning over the banshee when they came to do the trade upon seeing it. He plied me with a million questions about it and frankly, i wanted his Rmz soo badly, that i didn't actually care as to why it blew, as he had a new bottom end to give me. I understood that the 05-07's were basically interchangeable.

In looking at the crank case, the connecting rod that pushes the piston up & down exploded a blew a whole through the bottom of it.

Don't know what brand the bottom end internals were, or if he ever split the case and freshened things up, as there are only shard pieces left in there but upon extracting the piston ring it has printed on it JE 993M P/N247591.

I ask, due to reading how nightmarish it is to repair these thumpers. In so doing the work mostly by myself, this has been very easy so far, don't see what the big deal is.

Besides, i hate how whiny the 2 stroke engines sound. I loved the thunderous lows i got from my raptor 660 and desired a thumper for it's powerband and exhaust note.

ive never used this place for parts but it might be worth a look.

http://lukesracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

If you have a good bottom end i would probably replace everything up with now unless you are 100% sure the head doesnt have something wrong with it. With a failure that major on the bottom end i personally would quadruple check the parts. If you were planning on taking the head to someone anyways just let them know what happened to the best of your knowledge. I would have them regrind the seats for the valves and add new valve guides in there as well.

If you look anywhere for parts they usually list 05-06 and 07 as different(except the piston). If you check that link i sent you for cylinders or big bore kits they have them listed as different. Some parts might be inter-changable but i couldnt tell you which ones. I would love to know since i have an 07 which is always listed by itself :bonk:

With the bottom end so trashed, what does the cylinder look like?

ive never used this place for parts but it might be worth a look.

http://lukesracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

If you have a good bottom end i would probably replace everything up with now unless you are 100% sure the head doesnt have something wrong with it. With a failure that major on the bottom end i personally would quadruple check the parts. If you were planning on taking the head to someone anyways just let them know what happened to the best of your knowledge. I would have them regrind the seats for the valves and add new valve guides in there as well.

If you look anywhere for parts they usually list 05-06 and 07 as different(except the piston). If you check that link i sent you for cylinders or big bore kits they have them listed as different. Some parts might be inter-changable but i couldnt tell you which ones. I would love to know since i have an 07 which is always listed by itself :bonk:

With the bottom end so trashed, what does the cylinder look like?

Thanks for the link, i'll look into them. I'll post a link to photo's of the cylinder head later on today, as i have to take pictures, not a problem.

I didn't know that for a full OEM valve kit, i'd be looking at around $500.00, on ebay! Dang.

I called Clinton Cycles in Maryland earlier and they quoted me $83.00 a piece for the 2 exhaust valves and $92.00 a piece for the two intake valves. 166+184= oh heck no, im not counting that high, miss me with all that, lol!

I found a company in Ohio that does cylinder head repair (machine work) for $95.00. You send them the head and they clean inspect and recut it.

That's the only thing i can't do myself, which is the head work.

As far as why the bottom blew, i don't think i'd get an honest answer out've the owner, as i believe that he'd think that i'd want to re do the deal. He offered me a 02 KTM 250, which i didn't want. (didn't want that brraaap brraaap anymore)

I really didn't enjoy the banshee either, as it wants you to almost abusively ride it, stay in the powerband, drift and it was too out've control for the little wooded area i live around.

so wow. Im really surprised to see the case like that but still have the valves in the head. I was expecting some over-rev/valve dropping action but they dont even look like they contacted a piston. Was the rod in 2 pieces? OE rod? Where was the piston?

Thanks for the link, i'll look into them. I'll post a link to photo's of the cylinder head later on today, as i have to take pictures, not a problem.

I didn't know that for a full OEM valve kit, i'd be looking at around $500.00, on ebay! Dang.

I called Clinton Cycles in Maryland earlier and they quoted me $83.00 a piece for the 2 exhaust valves and $92.00 a piece for the two intake valves. 166+184= oh heck no, im not counting that high, miss me with all that, lol!

I found a company in Ohio that does cylinder head repair (machine work) for $95.00. You send them the head and they clean inspect and recut it.

That's the only thing i can't do myself, which is the head work.

As far as why the bottom blew, i don't think i'd get an honest answer out've the owner, as i believe that he'd think that i'd want to re do the deal. He offered me a 02 KTM 250, which i didn't want. (didn't want that brraaap brraaap anymore)

I really didn't enjoy the banshee either, as it wants you to almost abusively ride it, stay in the powerband, drift and it was too out've control for the little wooded area i live around.

Go with aftermarket valves. Do some research on kibblewhite valves in the rmz and see what comes back. They are just over $30 each.

http://valvetrain.kpmivalvetrain.com/category/suzuki-rm-z450-2005-to-2007

The connecting rod snapped off and the side of the piston itself got tore up.

When the connecting rod snapped off, it must've rattled around in the bottom and ripped everything up down there.

I didn't split it's case to really investigate, i just mounted the 06 motor in.

I've been reading that it's not uncommon for the 05 bottom end on the rmz 450's to blow, don't know why that is.

The first run of the 01 raptor 660's were the same way.

I looked at the kibble white whites on ebay. However, the way the company has advertised it's services, it's almost like they will clean the head & valves so well that i can re use these valves. That'd be fantastic and i'd come out way cheaper that way.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-RMZ250-RMZ450-Cylinder-Head-Valve-Job-Engine-/150723383054?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2317d04f0e