Sign in to follow this  

89 XR600R Wont start!!1

Trying to get my father-in-laws 1989 XR600R running so he will go riding with us once again.

Bike was parked about four years ago. It was out in the weather (under a tarp) for about two of those years. Took the bike fully apart today. Drained all fluids, took carb apart and put back together; cleaned jets/bowl/throttle/etc. New oil and filter back in along with new fuel lines. And a new spark plug.

Got it back together and turned the fuel on. Pet-cock leaked, but carb is getting fuel. Tried to start and would not fire. Seemed like engine would turn once or twice and then die. Starter fluid had ZERO effect.

Had air/fuel mixture screw all the way in at first because i forgot to back it out. Backed it off a couple of turns and it did sound a little better but still would not fire up. I do remember that there was no o-ring when i took out and put back in the air/fuel mixture screw; just the needle, spring and washer. So i then noticed that when i backed screw off, fuel would leak from bottom of carb.

So i have no idea what to do now! Any help would be very appreciated.

Could it be water inside the cylinder or the air intake on the engine side of the carb from pressure washing? (i washed down bike once all parts were off and didnt seal quite as well as i should have) Or maybe the o-ring missing on the air/fuel mixture screw?

Thanks in advance.

I'm going to guess that you have used a new plug and you have spark because you didn't mention anything about the electrics.

So provided you have spark, and did not wash down the intake ports with water, your problem is going to be the carb. Cleaning the jets and emultion tube holes is a good start, but you need to take a single strand of wire from a piece of stranded electrical wire and run through every hole in the carb body,making sure you get the idle circuit,just carb cleaner and air will not do it.

you only need 3 things to run comp., spark and fuel, i'm guessing you have the first two never under estimate the care and time to properly clean a carb that has been left to sit for extended periods.

Just checking, but did tou also read about the drill on starting a 600? Seems like quite the routine, but its pretty consistent across theboard on how to get them going.

But yes, the carb can be your enemy. If the father-in-law is seriious about going out with you, get a rebuild kit for the carb. Dry and cracked gaskets can also cause problems and with some, you get new jets and fixture screws (plus any gaskets).

I can attest to the wire trick. I was trying to get a sport bike going again after sitting a while. Nothing worked until I used a .020 safety wire to gently go through the small emulsion tube holes. Soak the parts in Sea Foam or similar for a while, and just run a wire through it. It should be a loose fit, don't force it through.

Just because you spray carb cleaner through the holes - not good enough.

Think it's ok because you can see light through the holes? - not good enough.

Certainly make sure your mixture screw is assembled correctly. You can buy an aftermarket one that allows you to adjust it while it's running. Other than that, focus on the smallest holes in the carb.

You'll get it. hang in there. :bonk: When you do get it going, add some Sea Foam to the tank and run that through it. It'll run mint from then on.

+1 on the carb issues, I finally broke down and bought this: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/4/22/278/10115/ITEM/K-L-Carb-Cleaner-Wire-Set.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

Also, check your float needle - your float bowl may be filling up if it is stuck or has grooves in the tip causing gas to flow by when it's supposed to be closed.

These have a rubber tip and go bad in stale gas, I usually replace mine every few years.

You need to replace the O-ring on the fuel screw, the carb will not work properly without it.

Thanks everyone!

Any ideas on the best place to get carb rebuild kit with all rings, diaphragms and gaskets?

If you're in or around the Bakersfield I know a bad ass mechanic who can fix you up, if you have enough alcohol...

Thanks everyone!

Any ideas on the best place to get carb rebuild kit with all rings, diaphragms and gaskets?

http://www.smebike.info/

Alec ships worldwide,,ask him to include the AirCut off valve as well,,His standard kits don't come with one,,costs more with the aircutt..You get all new jets including the needle jet (whatever jet sizes you want tell him and he will swap them around),,gaskets,,needle,,new Airscrew/fuelscrew with spring and both washers,,few other various internal brass tubes (name unknown but the needle runs through it)..Good joker,,I can personally vouch for his reliability and knowledge on all things bike related.,He's put together the odd engine for me when others have stuffed up.,I also get all my carb stuff from him..,

Edited by Horri

Thanks for the tip on Alec. Placed the order last week and should be getting it any day i suppose.

Thanks for the tip on Alec. Placed the order last week and should be getting it any day i suppose.

Hope you do or my name will be mud,,Taking an awfully long time for stuff to be airfreighted out of the US at the moment,,I've been waiting for a Regulator that has supposedly been "In transit" according to the shipping number for about 2 weeks now,,and that was sent the most expensive way..not to mention the Reg/Rec that I also purchased that never even got out of the Post office,,(lost I assume,,and thankfully refunded by Paypal)

Those shipping tracking numbers are a joke,,I purchased another Reg/Rec and it was here in 3 or 4 days,,according to its tracking number it's still "in transit" and has been for about 2 weeks,.

and a ps,,Alec also has an Ebay site he sells out of,,Somewhere on his websites probably a listing for it.,If you run into problems with things I guess I can hassle him for you.,Not too many liberties but or I'll get annoyed.,his deal,, his gear,,I'm just Mr Inbetween

Edited by Horri