Sign in to follow this  

09 CRF 450, frame dented;cracked. Suggestions?

Well I noticed this when I was putting my bike away for winter. I had her lifted up on a cherry picker to really get her clean under the frame and engine with the pressure washer. My frame, right where a case saver, no pun intended, would go, there is a huuuuuge dent and crack. I've had some ideas on how to fix it but I need to get the pro's and con's figured out.

Heres a picture.

33567310151061624775433.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

wow thats trashed, i would not ride it like that or welded up. Buy a new frame or weld it and sell it.

Did you crash it or cased it really hard? What caused the cracks and dents? If it was my poor broke ass I'd clean it up, get some channel or strap and weld it over those spots like a patch. Unless of course there is more damage than what you're showing

I'm sure the right shop can fix it, but you need to disassemble the bike and check it out completely. I bike that has taken a hit like that may have other damage. Your best bet might be a used frame. There are lots of 4 strokes out there with bad motors and owners who just want to get rid of the parts, although finding something as new as an 09 make take some time.

wow thats trashed, i would not ride it like that or welded up. Buy a new frame or weld it and sell it.

You would not ride that after it was welded, but you would weld it and sell it? Would you be up front with any potential buyer that you had welded it? If not = douch bag.

• Like 1

Also, way stupid question. Probably not safe to ride her till its fixed is it?

Yeah, get it fixed first.

Get it welded by a competent machinist, and then go enjoy your bike. Also, get a skid plate.

Yea, I know what its from. I came up short on a 95 foot triple and took a chunk out of the landing with my case. Skid plate may have been a good idea before-hand. I know I should get it welded, but I'm worried about the heat making the aluminum brittle. Also, I would have to get it powder-coated so the bare aluminum doesn't oxidize.

^^^^I'm just glad it was the frame and not my ankles that bit the big one.^^^ So does anyone think it would be safe to ride after its welded? I mean I'm no *****, I know how to ride.

I'd say take it to a couple shops and have it checked out, no sense trusting the opinions of those who can barely see the pics of the damage over the internet. Don't get it fixed at the first shop you go to, get a couple opinions. If it were me I'd buy a new frame off ebay and use it as an excuse to go through the whole bike for maintenance/ personalization.

Honestly I would rather do that myself too but money is super tight. Until I get out of college and quit bagging groceries I'll have to take the cheap way out. I'm going to school for Auto collision repair so I'm pretty sure I can do it all myself. But I have several second-guess's to my plan.

You would not ride that after it was welded, but you would weld it and sell it? Would you be up front with any potential buyer that you had welded it? If not = douch bag.

yeah because you would be able to pass off a frame with a huge welded patch on it, just because you would sell it doesnt mean you would not disclose it...

stupid bashing post on TT= douch bag

yeah because you would be able to pass off a frame with a huge welded patch on it

Yea... I feel like you could pretty damn easily. And IMO if you wouldn't ride/trust it yourself but you would still sell it, that says something about your character (whether you claim you would disclose it or not).

I appreciate everyone's input, but one thing I don't need help with is the ethics on selling the bike. I need to know if anyone has any advice as to what welding will do to the structure, engine and such. Also if it will just be more brittle from the impact and if it is justifiable to scrap the frame and get a new one. Just trying to find all angles to figure out my solution. I would rather fix the frame as it is and keep my bike, but if there is no other way I need some sources and reasons. If not, then maybe someone could give me some advice as to getting it welded. (Taking the engine out or not, completely pulling everything off the frame, should it be painted;anodized, or any other concerns or points.)

Thank you again for any and all advice.

Edited by Lovstad_12
Looked goofy with tabb spaces.

Hard to tell exactly where its at but your best bet would be to cut that section out and replace with new aluminum stock, using a 2" piece of solid billet inside of each joint (1" on each side of the weld area). You can weld on the frame no problem, people do it all the time when doing the 500AF conversions. If you go on banned500riders there are a few guys who sell t6 aluminum that works perfect and is sold just for welding on this frame. $7.50 a foot, probably $20 for some square billet inserts and $45 for someone to weld it up for you if you cant do it yourself. It will be just as good if not stronger than stock for under $100.

oh and also, you shouldnt need to paint it or coat it in anything, the bare aluminum should be just fine. I know lots of guys who have just left it and had no problems with oxidation.

I appreciate everyone's input, but one thing I don't need help with is the ethics on selling the bike. I need to know if anyone has any advice as to what welding will do to the structure, engine and such. Also if it will just be more brittle from the impact and if it is justifiable to scrap the frame and get a new one. Just trying to find all angles to figure out my solution. I would rather fix the frame as it is and keep my bike, but if there is no other way I need some sources and reasons. If not, then maybe someone could give me some advice as to getting it welded. (Taking the engine out or not, completely pulling everything off the frame, should it be painted;anodized, or any other concerns or points.)

Thank you again for any and all advice.

We had the exact same problem with our 09. I had a professional welder patch it up. My son got a hold of the bike before I could get a Works Conn glide plate on it, and redamaged it worse than the first time. This time it looked like someone took a can opener to the frame rails. So I had to go back and ask my bud to repatch it again, this time with reinforced rails welded in. Its been ridden this way for 1.5 seasons now without issue.

All that said I had been watching ebay for the right deal to come along and when it did I was able to snag a like new frame for an outstanding price. Not because I'm worried the old frame will fail, but just because I like our stuff to be in perfect visual and working condition. I haven't got around to replacing the frame yet, but its on the to do list.

If your taking autobody classes that tells me your in the learning process of how to fix things like this. A good thing. But in this case I would recommend finding a professional. Those rails are fairly thin material and burn through pretty easily. You could easily make it worse than it already is, but if done correctly will be just as good as new. A properly welded joint is typically the strongest part of a any metal structure.

I would fix if it were mine. Atleast its not at a single point like the neck were if it broke or cracked again it would be a catastrophy. Get it fixed by a competent welder and get a heavy duty aluminum skid plate. You could even have the skid plate stich welded on whick would box the frame in and probably be stronger than stock. Even if you just clamped the plate on the framework would be boxed in,making it stronger and highly unlikely to have a complete failure.

Thank you everyone! Especially Rubbersdown and Nesc103y, you both gave me the answers I was looking for. I was hoping someone had a similar scenario and could provide some insight on what could or will happen. I found an actual Honda Certified Welder in the area, I'm going to give him a call in the morning to see what he thinks of those two ideas. Thanks a ton guys, this has been worrying me for a few weeks, not knowing what I would do.

Hi,

I had a motorcycle chassis shop in ca. the way to fix that is to get a piece of 6061 t-6 angle or one for each side or.....machine a channel in a piece of billet. This type of fix is done in aviation all the time and is known as a doubler. Your bike will be as good as new, there is very little stress on that part of your frame, and it's a very easy fix to someone that knows what they are doing.

Merry Christmas,

Dave

BTW when we had ours welded we did it with the bike fully assembled. I would recommend covering the areas around the work area, to avoid discoloration. And be sure there is no leakage of fluids.