Sign in to follow this  

oil check bolt, bad design on later YZ 250's?

Anyone else notice the oil check bolt is wrong on later YZ 250's? Or am I missing something?:bonk:

I have a 2010 YZ 250 2t

I noticed the first time that I changed my oil just after buying my YZ that if you drain the oil, take out the oil check bolt (I know I had the correct bolt from what the manual shows and it is the only one with the copper washer!), put the drain bolt back in, then it only takes about 200 mL of oil to start pouring out the check bolt hole, when an oil change is suppose to be 750 mL or (850 mL overhaul):smirk:. I know that can't be correct!?!?! Is this just a bad design or a mistake in the design of the case on Yamaha's part?

I have always gone by the check bolt on my past bikes, CR 85, both CR 125's, and my RM 250, and I have never had a problem.

Now with my YZ I have to go by measuring 750 mL, (though I usually put 800) and hope that it is consistent in how well it drains out, all because the oil check bolt is not reliable.

You are suppose to have the bike level on it's tires when using the check bolt correct? Not leaning on the triangle?

Thoughts?

Leaning should not be a problem unless you put it on counter thread the bolt,

If you continue to have this problem i recommend you go to your local dirtbike shop and buy a moose magnetic drain bolt they cost like 12 bucks and seal good. i got one for my yz 250

When you start to leak , do you tighten the bolt all the way with the copper washer???

I think you misread my post.....I do have a moose magnetic drain bolt, yes they are great, will never have a bike without a magnetic drain bolt.

But I am not having a leak anywhere. I am talking about using the oil check bolt (not the drain bolt) that is suppose to leak out oil when the bolt is not in and the oil is at the correct level. This tells you when your tranny oil is at the correct level. (hence oil check bolt)

What I am saying is that on my 2010 YZ 250, that oil starts leaking out of the oil check bolt hole (not the drain bolt)(Because the check bolt is out, because it must be out to check the oil level) at around only 200 mL of oil being poured into the engine, when it should not pour out of the check bolt hole until around 750 mL.

Its dum but it is what it is. I always just measure 750 out before I poor it in. I have a rekluse so I change my oil quite often.

chek bolts like that are notoriously wrong on most bikes, it has always been that way. Just measure out the proper amount (I like to go 25-50mL more to be safe) and pour it in.

The check bolt is meant to be used leaning on the stock triangle. It's innacurate but does mean there is SOME oil in there.

The oil check hole on the YZ 250's have been wrong for years.

I noticed on my ' 05. There was a small write up in MXA magazine confirming this problem , a few years back.

I always just drained and measured the 750 cc of fresh oil , and ignored the check hole.

• Like 1

Yup, mines way off. I always measure the oil in my ratio-rite to make sure I get 750mL.

Anyone else notice the oil check bolt is wrong on later YZ 250's? Or am I missing something?:smirk:
Welcome to the club. :busted::awww:

There has been a fair amount of discussion about the "check bolt" location, most of it about how much saki the engineers had been drinking when they decided where to put it.

Guys have ruined trans bearings by trusting that bolt. :banana:

Like most have posted (and you have already figured out), just add 750ml and ignore the check bolt.

Congrats on your 2010 YZ! :bonk:

the bolt check is unreliable, i always just put 750ML in there and call it a day.

Like everyone said I usually pour a little extra in. But I never go by the oil check bolt, but the thing I don't understand is why is it always way off? But like everyone else said, I would measure out the right amount then pour a little more oil in it and u should be good do go:thumbsup:

i have never used the check bolt on my 08. just put in 750 ml with a ratio rite and call it good. if your bike is consuming oil where you need to check the level between changes then you have issues and need to tear it down.

I don't know what you guys are talking about. I pour 750cc's of oil in, with the bike off the triangle stand and you can just barely see the oil quivering below the hole.

Just kidding.:smirk::bonk:

• Like 1

When I first looked at the check bolt, just looking at it, my common sence told me that it was not right. it was obviously way to low on the engine! It just did not make sense.

So of course I tried anyways and it became clear when it started leaking out at arout 250 mL. So I put the bolt back in and put in the rest of the 750 + mL

But like I said I always use to go by the check bolt on my RM 250 and it was always at around 750 mL, then I would put the check bolt back in and then add about another 50 mL to be safe. I mean I would feel better knowing the exact level by a hole or glass because you never know if that 750 mL is accurate. Guess I had a bad thought thinking that the engineers were smart and accurate about placing the check bolt.

Now that makes me think how reliable those glass are on 4 jokes.....Aren't they suppose to have the surface level about half way up the glass when balanced???

And now that I think about it more, maybe the check bolt is not the best way to go about it, or preferred way by the engineers, maybe that is why Suzuki could care less that their engineers decided to put the check bolt on the left side of the engine though the fill cap is on the right (on the 06 RM 250).....god that was a pain in the ass!!

yup the sight glass is halfway well atleast on the 85 we raced was and it did kinda give u a good feeling seeing and knowing ur oil wasnt disappearing (and how filthy it was)

A sight glass would be great to have, also a clear plastic strip on the tank to see how much is in there would be great to have.
THANK YOU! :busted::banana:

Seriously, how simple could this be?!

They have a clear strip on the sides of motor oil containers, fer pete's sake, so you KNOW it's not a cost issue. :smirk:

This one is a complete no-brainer. :awww:

C'mon Yamaha, provide a clear vertical strip somewhere on the tank to allow an easy visual check of the amount of fuel inside. Be a leader in user-friendliness.

And bring back the rear grab handles like the 1991-1995 YZs had. :bonk:

And fix the oil check bolt.

Stop complaining about the oil check bolt. Its only been wrong since 1999. Yamaha just has not had time to fix it.

• Like 1