Sign in to follow this  

weird sound kick starting 2 stroke?

I'm somewhat new to moto and 2 strokes so I may not be describing this very well.. But I'm working on jetting right now as I'm having trouble starting the bike when cold. I've been bump starting it cold. When it's warm, it kicks just fine.

Today, I tried to see if I could actually kick start it cold. After about a dozen or so kicks and still not getting it started, I sometimes get this weird screech/crack (short) noise and it sounds like a big puff of air comes out. Is this normal? I'm thinking it may be because I've been kicking it so much?

When the bike is warm, it takes 1-2 kicks to start, I've never had the weird sound come out then..

Sounds like low compression to me. Ring seal letting go.

I would find someone with a compression tester and see what you are getting.

Might be time for a top end.

I'm somewhat new to moto and 2 strokes so I may not be describing this very well.. But I'm working on jetting right now as I'm having trouble starting the bike when cold. I've been bump starting it cold. When it's warm, it kicks just fine.

Today, I tried to see if I could actually kick start it cold. After about a dozen or so kicks and still not getting it started, I sometimes get this weird screech/crack (short) noise and it sounds like a big puff of air comes out. Is this normal? I'm thinking it may be because I've been kicking it so much?

When the bike is warm, it takes 1-2 kicks to start, I've never had the weird sound come out then..

what is the bike? (year, make model) sounds like a backfire of some sort to me, how does the kicker feel as your kicking it over, is it stiff or real loose like you can kick it all the way down with little effort how are your reeds and the plug?

I will grab a compression tester today and see what I come up with.

Bike is an 09 WR125. The seller mentions the rings have 5 hours on them and I should be good for another 20-25.

The kick starter seems normal to me and I will need to check the reeds.

Could this have anything to do with bad jetting?

Sorry if my wording is all off.. new to moto and working on one. Sounds like this at 9 seconds, except my bike wouldn't start, I'd kick it, it wouldn't start, and 1 second later I'd hear that puff:

I will grab a compression tester today and see what I come up with.

Bike is an 09 WR125. The seller mentions the rings have 5 hours on them and I should be good for another 20-25.

The kick starter seems normal to me and I will need to check the reeds.

Could this have anything to do with bad jetting?

Sorry if my wording is all off.. new to moto and working on one. Sounds like this at 9 seconds, except my bike wouldn't start, I'd kick it, it wouldn't start, and 1 second later I'd hear that puff:

thats a 4 stroke..