Sign in to follow this  

250f vs 450f

well as the title states i need some advice on which would be the better choice in a bike. im wanting to do mostly mx and hare scrambles, but there are also a couple kart tracks around me and id love to get started in supermoto which is why i was leaning way from 2 strokes. i could be convinced other wise though as long as it still suitable for supermoto. as far as my riding experience its pretty

limited i started on a old kdx 200 rode around my house and locale tails, rode for about a year then i wrecked pretty bad doing something stupid :smirk: and by the time i was healthy i was more in to playing music so i haven't ridin in about 2 years. my size and weight is why im really even debating this choice really,im 6'2 185 with out gear. so would the 250f carry me around competitively with out killing it self? or would a 450 be more suitable and give me room to grow after i knock the rust of?

thank you in advance for any help.:bonk:

Welcome to the TT party....:smirk:

From your riding experience you would be better to go for the 250...and lose 10 to 20lbs...:bonk:

I am not putting you down ,but your probably not going to be super competitive for a season or 2 anyway...

I suggest a 250f also. I'm 6'0" 180 and I like my kx250f and I'm debating on going to a 125/150sx because of the fun factor. I'm pretty competitive on a 250f and I have owned 450s and 250 2t. But I enjoy riding a smaller bike. It also makes a person better at riding. especially if you didn't start riding young. You just can't learn certain things on a 450 as a beginner. I would go to a small bore bike..250f and ride it for a while and take what you learned to a 450 and I bet you would be faster then just hoping on a 450.

If you do not do your own maintenance the 250f will probably be a bit more expensive in the long run (they're a bit more high-strung), especially if you're going to race. As far as being a fun bike that is good to hone your skills, if you are steering away from 2T then I say go for it. If you buy a used 250f be prepared to go through the whole valve train. If you're pretty confident as a mechanic, youtube has a TON of really good vids that will show you what to do along with your service manual.

thanks for the welcome :bonk: as for the losing weight part im trying lol doing p90x and cycling but i just have a stocky build:bonk:. im deffinitly leaning towards the 250f now, as far as maintenance my dads a mechanic and im restoring a car so we should be ok. thanks everybody:ride: