Sign in to follow this  

Help Please! How bad is it????

Hello

As i had a few days off work I decided to change the oil in my forks, all was going well until the time came to refit my front wheel. I've only gone and sheared one of the 4 threads that holds the axel in place!!!:smirk:

The thread in question is on the Non brake caliper side, i was going to put a pic up but i'm not sure how. Has anyone ever had to replace one of these threads before? Can I buy a new thread or do I need a whole new lower fork? And most importantly......do you reckon it's still safe to ride with only three nuts holding the axel in place??:bonk:

If anyone can help that would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Thread is called a stud , you can ride the bike with three. A good hardware store will have metric studs or just go to your local Honda dealer and order a new one and a new lock nut. A little heat, some vise grips and the old one will come out fine, install the new one with a couple standard nuts locked together. It's no big deal. When you break one off, now thats a problem.

Ah, thats good news, I can relax now!!

I think i'll go and get the parts now, a good excuse to take the road bike out.

Thank you

Went to my local bike shop today and he had some studs in stock so I'm going to try them tomorrow. The studs only cost 40 pence ( about 80 cents)

Forgot the loctite though!

I had the same problem, take the other 3 nuts off and take the little plate off so you can get at the stud, then stick vice grips on it and crank it out. Make sure you put the stud in the same way as the others, then put the plate and the nuts back on.

I was doing this the other day though the studs hadn't snapped. Tried the two nuts on a stud trick but two of the studs refused to budge. I welded a nut onto each of the pesky buggers and crancked them out with a spanner.

2011-12-14155853.jpg