Sign in to follow this  

1986 YZ250 shock rebuild questions

i have an 86 YZ250 that i have been working on. I took it to the track the other day to do a shakedown and the rear end pops up on me pretty bad, i had a few close calls out there. There seems to be no leaks from the seals, which could be good or bad. i have adjustment for compression and rebound, and it seems to be doing very little throughout the adjustment, and the BASS is disconnected. If anything it couldnt hurt to rebuild it since i have no idea of the history of the shock. I have torn into and rebuilt just about every other part of a bike at one point or another, but never a some what modern shock. how hard is this particular shock to tear into, and rebuild? ive read about come shocks of this era needed some unique tools to deal with, how about this one? the going rate seems to be $100ish to just change oil and recharge, but if this is something i can do and learn id rather do it myself.

Chances are the oil is long gone. You can order a new seal head from RT and just rebuild it like any other shock....

doc