Sign in to follow this  

Multi-purpose dirtbike? woods/moto-x/etc

Ok, I know its the age old question and no bike is perfect for everything... But I could sure use some advice, as I don't know which way to go.

I race flattrack and have a couple of great bikes, vintage and modern, but as you know they are ONLY good for flattrack. I'm looking for a good general purpose dirtbike for everyday riding, trails and stuff. But I also want to try mx, at a real basic level. They do a "Best of Kansas" thing here in NE Kansas in the early fall where you race a hare scramble, a motocross, and a TT. I've never done it before and I want to before I get too old. So a bike that can fake its way around an mx track, but still be good for woods and hills is what I need.

Any advice?

I've been thinking maybe a late 90's xr250? xr400? xt/tt350? xr200?

What kind of budget are you looking at. Those bikes you listed wouldn't be very competitive in any type of racing that I can think of except for some serious long haul stuff (think Dakar) due to their reliability.

You could go with something like a CRF-X or WR and get the suspension set up for what you want do do, add some performance mods (lots are free on these bikes) and be set. Or you could go with a more MX based machine and soften up the suspension, add a spark arrestor, larger fuel tank etc to make it woods friendly.

Oh yeah, sorry, forgot to mention I'm on a tight budget. I'd like to stay under $1000 at the moment, but may consider selling a flattracker for a better bike in the future. I'm 43 and got into racing just a few years ago... I'd just like to try some other stuff just for fun. I'm not going to win any big races... just looking to get out there, have fun, and do my best in my class.

How about those kdx200/220's?

I've heard about the crf250x's, and even saw one for sale for $2k locally. Sounds like a decent choice.

Is the crf-x similar to the Yam WR? Seems like the wr's are decently priced from watching the local craigslist mc's for sale.

A KDX would be a much better do all bike than an XR. If you can find one in good condition that would be a great choice.

CRF-X is the honda version of the WR. The CRFs had valvetrain problems from what i have heard. I think they fixed the issue a while ago, but the years you would most likely be looking at did not have a great reputation for longevity.

Oh yeah, sorry, forgot to mention I'm on a tight budget. I'd like to stay under $1000 at the moment, but may consider selling a flattracker for a better bike in the future. I'm 43 and got into racing just a few years ago... I'd just like to try some other stuff just for fun. I'm not going to win any big races... just looking to get out there, have fun, and do my best in my class.

How about those kdx200/220's?

I've heard about the crf250x's, and even saw one for sale for $2k locally. Sounds like a decent choice.

Is the crf-x similar to the Yam WR? Seems like the wr's are decently priced from watching the local craigslist mc's for sale.

$1K isnt going to get you very far with a versitile bike.

The KDXs are great trail bikes...I recently sold a 2002 KDX220 to a friend of mine. I also know another rider that owns a KDX 200. They are reliable and bulletproof. My 220 was immaculate, almost perfect. It was owned by a guy that worked all the time and never rode. To give you an idea, I paid $2K and it was worth every penny. You could probably find a clean KDX for $1500-$1700.

Comparative to the other bikes mentioned, a CRF250X is a high maintenance machine...especially the mid 2000 models which have well documented valve train issues. Any 250F will be a higher maintenance bike than others. I would pass.

The CRF250/450X (Honda) and the WR (Yamaha) are both trail specific machines. I own a WR426 and its been a great trail bike, I have no complaints. Its very reliable and powerful for a 10 year old bike. I paid $1800 about 1.5 years ago. FYI - The CRF250/450R and the YZ are the MX bikes by those manufacturers.

If I were in your shoes and wanted a "do it all" bike, I would save my money and buy a KTM 250/300 XC. I bought a 2007 KTM 300 XC in May and it has been the best bike I have ever owned....and Ive owned quite a few trying to figure out what I wanted. I bought the bike from a guy that only rode MX and I ride only trails. I put on some handguards, tweaked the suspension, and I was off to the trails...you wont find a bike more versitile than the XC.

In the meantime, if you want a bike now, you will probably be best off with a mid 90s 250 2 stroke MX bike (like a YZ250)...it will be a blast on the track, but a handful in the woods. The versatility comes at a price.

I think the 250 2t race bike is the right call. You can find them dirt cheap. I'm purchasing a 97 CR250 today for well below your budget. Gonna regear the rear sprocket.

I used to ride woods and tracks on a 2000 RM250 geared for woods. Awesome bike. Learn how to adjust your clickers for woods and the track. Loved that RM. Gonna try to set this CR up the same way.

Thx for the advice... I've noticed that the 2 strokes are more affordable and more within my budget to maintain. I'll keep an eye out locally and see what comes up.

Them 4-strokes are just so easy to ride! In flattrack racing - When I switched from a vintage 2-stroke 250 to a vintage 4-stroke 250 I got much faster. Then I spent some money on suspension setup and got a LOT faster. So I don;t mind doing what it takes to dial in a bike for what I want it to do, I just needed some advice on what to start out with.

Thanks a lot and Happy Holidays!

If you want to do any MX.....get a motocross bike. Those trail bikes will be turds...and dangerous anywhere near stock.

Put a heavy flywheel on it and rig up an overflow...and gear it down perhaps for the woods.

If you want to do any MX.....get a motocross bike. Those trail bikes will be turds...and dangerous anywhere near stock.

I will assume you are excluding the KTM XCs either because of price or because you have never ridden one...its as close to a do it all machine as any manufacturer offers. My XC will go from trail to track with no problem.

Never rode an xc... yet. Rode my neighbor's 525, I think its an exc? (not real familiar with all the ktm models) I picked up Chris Carr's ex-GNC 450, which is a 450sx hybrid w/6-speed gearbox. Awesome bike! Smooth power from top to bottom... amazing to ride. Way more guts than I have!

Doubt I could afford one right now... Maybe someday! If I can limp through a mild mx course with a bike I'll be happy for the time being. The Best of KS will be coming up in the early fall. Thats where I hope to test my sub-par skills in hare scrambles, mx, and a TT. Same bike, rider, and tires.

KDX 200 is a great bike. Sometimes find them in very good shape for around $1200 depending on location and buyer's need for $$$.

buy something that is street legal too

obvious choice ktm 450-535 dualsport

2nd choice, husqvarna 310-511

if you only ride dirt just take the blinkers/plate off, this keeps LOTS more riding open to you

Another vote for a 250 2 stroke. Cheap, lots around and with a couple adjustments/ mods they are awesome in the woods. Only thing it probably wouldn't be so great at is flat tracking, thats one place a 4 stroke will shine.

Another vote for a 250 2 stroke. Cheap, lots around and with a couple adjustments/ mods they are awesome in the woods. Only thing it probably wouldn't be so great at is flat tracking, thats one place a 4 stroke will shine.

+1

im also with the kdx 200 and ktm 200.

Why has nobody mentioned theolder wr250 based on the motocrosser? Sounds just like what the doctor ordered

KTM XC line or Husky TXC line, KTM's are probably a bit better stock, but the Husky's are cheaper especially with the current deals on 2011s.