Sign in to follow this  

19" Trials Tire?

Thinking of trying one of the new 19" trials tires on my crf450. Thought I might try a 19" as I have a spare wheel and would'nt have to buy a 18" wheel from a 450x to try it out. Both Shinko and Vee Ruber offer a model in 19" Anyone use either and if so which model would you recommend?

Thanks

there are threads on trials tires, just search. a lot of people use them, i guess they have their advantages/disadvantages.

i guess they have their advantages/disadvantages

Ive been on this site for 10+ years...and while Ive been knocked out several times and my memory isnt what it used to be....zero recollection of "trials tire" talk

When and under what circumstances are trials tires an option on an MX bike?

When you say trials tire, Im thinking of a spongy gooey sticky trials tire. Not like a Bridgestone Trail wing or something...

I'm very surprised you guys do not know how great trials tires are. Now, I'm assuming that the OP is using his MX bike for trails and not MX, and this is why he would want a trials tire. Trials tires are amazing for trails, as the soft compound works great on griping anything except mud. Plus, they last quite a while, as they still continue to work well when the edge is rounded off due to the soft compound.

Ive been on this site for 10+ years...and while Ive been knocked out several times and my memory isnt what it used to be....zero recollection of "trials tire" talk

When and under what circumstances are trials tires an option on an MX bike?

When you say trials tire, Im thinking of a spongy gooey sticky trials tire. Not like a Bridgestone Trail wing or something...

general dirtbike discussions. expand your horizons, there is more forums other than this one. sorry you bumped your head.

I have used both....the Shinko is not very good IMO, it really has too much sidewall flex, when cornering it feels like you are drifting or doing a power slide(squirrly) and is smallish size compared to the VEE.

I really like the VEE VRM 308 http://veerubberusa.com/motorcycle/viewsize.php?Pname=vrm308

if there were a Dunlop 803 for a 19" I'd be using it.....But of the 2 19" available use the VEE........I have a barely used Shinko I'd sell CHEAP!!! :bonk:

Shawn- Moderator....Im using one on my CR250....Ive never been on a MX track what do you do there ride around in a circle?.......Just Kiddin......

Edited by lil200

For those of us that were around the MX scene back in the early 70's when tracks were not the sprinkled and manicured beauties they are today. Tracks were rough hard packed and blue grooved, a big Metzeler trials tire was used by a few riders

there's no shortage of trials tire threads on TT, do a search and read for hours

general dirtbike discussions. expand your horizons, there is more forums other than this one. sorry you bumped your head.

Ya might want to check my join date and post count :smirk:

I think you've gotten me confused for a newbie :banana:

I personally haven't even seen a trials tire on the back of an MX bike anywhere other than the Erzberg enduro.

Not saying it doesn't or shouldn't happen. And ya, I ride around usually in circles...with big ass bumps...and jumps...with 40 other guys within arms reach :bonk:

they are not very fun on mx tracks, they dont want to settle into the corners, instead they climb out of the rut

they are not uncommon here, I see bikes with them on all the time

I personally haven't even seen a trials tire on the back of an MX bike anywhere other than the Erzberg enduro.

I've never seen you on TT before, and wasn't aware you were a mod...weird.:bonk:

Anyway, my neighbor has a CR500 that he uses strictly for trail riding around western PA...he uses a Dunlop 18" trials tire. He also has a 250x that is dual sported. Guess what tire is on the back of that? Dunlop trials tire. :smirk:

shawn, being a moderator, and a 10 year member of tt, i am VERY surprised that you haven't seen any trials tire threads. if you look at my join date and post count, you can see im quite a noob and i've already seen numerous threads regarding trials tires.

Ya might want to check my join date and post count :smirk:

I think you've gotten me confused for a newbie :banana:

Not saying it doesn't or shouldn't happen. And ya, I ride around usually in circles...with big ass bumps...and jumps...with 40 other guys within arms reach :bonk:

don't be so defensive, this is supposed to be an informative forum not a p***ing match and yes i know you are the moderator. the man asked a question and i gave an answer with a comment, you took the first shot, then i came back, now you again. okay enough said.

It works great on slippery nasty climbs with rock and roots, in ledge rock, and for trail riding, but be warned the trials tire will not brake slide around corners well. I use a michelin X-11 tube type. It is easier to get the last 3 bites levered over the rim as opposed to the tubeless radial, type x-11. Even half worn out the radial x-11 will outgrip a new regular dirt tire. I have used both and like the radial better. It will corner well if you ride smooth. Watch out in bermed corners on the trail, it wants to climb right over the top of the berm, instead of sliding around the bottom. A trials tire will get enough grip in some situations to slide a worn front tire. Give it a try and ignore the guys that make fun of it.

• Like 1

It works great on slippery nasty climbs with rock and roots, in ledge rock, and for trail riding, but be warned the trials tire will not brake slide around corners well. I use a michelin X-11 tube type. It is easier to get the last 3 bites levered over the rim as opposed to the tubeless radial, type x-11. Even half worn out the radial x-11 will outgrip a new regular dirt tire. I have used both and like the radial better. It will corner well if you ride smooth. Watch out in bermed corners on the trail, it wants to climb right over the top of the berm, instead of sliding around the bottom. A trials tire will get enough grip in some situations to slide a worn front tire. Give it a try and ignore the guys that make fun of it.

+1:thumbsup:

don't be so defensive, this is supposed to be an informative forum not a p***ing match and yes i know you are the moderator. the man asked a question and i gave an answer with a comment, you took the first shot, then i came back, now you again. okay enough said.

I agree, for other than MX work trails tires seem to be a well kept secret here on the CRF forum. It wasn't a dumb question the OP asked, and didn't deserve the inital answers it got.

Wow...

No pissing match here. I was being a little rhetorical when I answered the first time, and possibly a little sarcastic.

I never "took a shot" at anyone.

Man, you guys gotta get some Christmas spirit up in here.

And for what its worth, the :bonk: emoticon was put there to emote my own reaction to trying to ride an overly populated MX track on a weekend in SoCal. Not any reaction to someone or something on this thread or website.

So Merry Christmas to ya'll. And to the OP, lacing an 18" rear rim to the OEM Honda hub is pretty easy.

The spokes are readily available and for trail riding, a ProWheel or one of the other cheaper chinese rims will work fine for very little money and you can get exactly the tire you want in the size you want on the back of the bike you want. Pretty cheap too.

Thinking of trying one of the new 19" trials tires on my crf450. Thought I might try a 19" as I have a spare wheel and would'nt have to buy a 18" wheel from a 450x to try it out. Both Shinko and Vee Ruber offer a model in 19" Anyone use either and if so which model would you recommend?

Thanks

How about just going out and switching out the tire on your bike now. That's the easiest and cheapest. If you are going to put an 19" trials tire on it wont be an honest comparison. 18" with a larger sidewall is better than a 19" and if you are tryin to figure out what is better you might as well do it right....and simple. I don't like them for trail but others swear by them so to me you are going the right route and seeing for yourself. The same went for me with the 20" vs the 21" front tire . I ended up just making up a 20" front tire and like it better... It's like how the 18" rear tire works better for offroad. The only way you'll know is if you try it. Maybe it would be better to just find out what the best 18" rear trials tire would be and put that on.

HDR. The Vee rubber tire actualy has the tall sidewall like a real 18" trial tire. That's why I like it over the Shinko which like you say has a short sidewall. A 18 would be my first choice too but with a 19" wheel I didn't want to spend any money except for the tire. And the Vee really seems to be pretty good. I have used Dunlop Perelli and Michelins to compare too with on my Ktms