Sign in to follow this  

confused about resto

I recetly picked up an 80's yz, mechanically perfect, 1 owner, standard bore, everything original except rings,grips,air filter. It was definately used,but not raced. The number plate backgrounds are shot, frame has usual boot marks, obviously plastic doesnt shine like new. I hear lots of talk about "it's only original once", "excellent original patina". Does this apply to dirt bikes? Will light resto(paint frame n engine, clean and detail all parts) hurt the value of this bike? I'm not looking to flip for a quick buck, more than likely will hold onto for 10 yrs or so and sell when my boy needs college money. Thanks

It depends on what the buyer is looking for. Some people think certain things are cool and others could care less. To err on the side of caution stay as original as possible and keep that old patina if it looks good and restore if it looks like dogmeat. A note on plastics...I was going to replace my yellow and brown 79 XT500 fender (it's supposed to be white) with a NOS one but it sold on eBay for a whopping $125. An '80 version can be bought from the dealer for about $60. What did I do? I cleaned, sanded and polished the nasty looking thing and it looks absolutely beautiful. I promised to send the previous owner some after pics when I'm done and I'm sure he'll be quite surprised at that front fender. It took some Meguiar's all purpose cleaner plus with a metal brush, some 600 grit then 1000 grit then some Meg's PlastX and it definitely shines.

Am I crazy? Being worn out doesn't add to the value. This isn't artwork or anything like that. It's not worth a ton of money. Cleaning and painting a few things can only help the value. Patina doesn't usually apply to bikes, especially bikes from the 80's.

Yea I would have to agree . unless it was riden by Bob Hanna at some national event and still has the original mud on it :banana: patina on a bike like this means nothing. I think for me more importantly would be documentation of what it looked like before the resto . So take some good before and after photos and have at it :bonk:

As for the school :busted: funding :smirk: better tell the kid he's gona' need a part time job .

i agree with the others. look around at the big buck bikes. most of them are restored to stock, or rebuilt works type bikes. race ready. the only ones that are worn out looking and still asking big prices are the super rare bikes, like bikes that were hard to get when new. and yeah, with an 80s bike, that will fund a semester at community college, and the way tuition is going up, in 10 years it will still be just a semester, trust me im a college student right now. I have an 86 YZ250, have done quite a bit of work to semi restore and get race ready for the 2012 vintage season, and i doubt i will ever see most of that money again. you didnt mention year and size. if its watercooled it is a neglected decade for mx bikes. too new to have a diehard following like vintage/post vintage racers, and too old that the average person looking for a bike just has no interest in them.

I think the idea of before and after is great, so you can see how original it really was. NOS plastic would probably amount to years of searching and $800. I did find one side plate for $145.....ouch. Patina =collector talk for wear and tear. Right now its nice enough to ride and enjoy without worrying about every scratch with the exception of the neon pink grips which were all the craze in the early 90's (insert uncontrollable vomit noises here!).

right now i dont see the bike being worth the trouble of hunting down NOS plastics for. im pretty sure we all know what patina means, and its not worth anything on a dirt bike. i used the "patina" on the 86 YZ i got as a way to talk the guy down to 200 bucks. and that was for a running complete bike. until there is a reason other than sentimental reasons for people to buy these bike, like vintage racing did for the even older bikes, i dont see a reason for these bikes to ever gain a lot in value. what year is the bike and what motor?

Monetarily speaking, all dirt bikes are terrible investments. Especially if you plan to ride them.

If nice looking equipment is your thing, spend the money and make it look fresher. If performance is your thing, spend the money there. If financial return on your money is your thing, sell it now and put the money in a CD or other interest bearing account.

it's an 82 yz125j, yeah I know, not the most desireable bike of the early 80's. But I look great riding it in my members only jacket with my mullet!

Put your money in functionality first,then appearance,that way you can ride it as you improve it. Dont make any major alterations that the next owner cant undo easily,such as frame mods etc.Ride the heck out of it! Have fun.Thats the real purpose of a dirtbike!

it's an 82 yz125j, yeah I know, not the most desireable bike of the early 80's. But I look great riding it in my members only jacket with my mullet!

Cool I've got that jacket :bonk: but unfortunately my Mullet fell out :smirk:

I restored a 82 yz125 and you will never get your money out of it. nos parts are big $$$. the bike was given to me. 10 yrs down the road it might be a different story. here's a before and after.

DSC01120.jpg

DSC01255.jpg

that sure is a nice bike, and gives me an idea of what to expect. My yz is not too far from there even has the original tank stickers, not scratched or bubbling! They have yellowed a bit though. I need a quality hi gloss rear fender, any suggestions?

I think that keeping the bike in good clean condition and as original as possible is a good idea because when i buy a bike to restore I would rather buy one that is all original and in good shape un screwed with. Generally when a bike has all new plastics or has been cheaply repainted and re-decaled I suspect it is going to need major engine work before being ridable. Point being people often polish a junk bike up to get some cash. I think leaving it original is a great idea. Buying it as an investment is not probably the most profitable but how fun is money in the bank!

upon dissasembly, Im finding that the bike was pretty clean under 30 years of garage and trail dirt. The biggest cosmetic issue is the number plate backgrounds. The bike looks like it was used very little. I believe the original tires and sprockets are still on it. It doesnt need a single bearring or seal!

you have a nice find then. keep it all stock if you can. not too many around in that shape.

So much easyer to start with a good one than make a good one,we spent over 3,000$ to restore a 86 kdx 80 to as close to new as possible.Still not 100% and may never be.People all want to give us about 1,000 to 1,300 $ eaven after we tell them its not for sale.

Think the bike was 680$ new.

I recetly picked up an 80's yz, mechanically perfect, 1 owner, standard bore, everything original except rings,grips,air filter. It was definately used,but not raced. The number plate backgrounds are shot, frame has usual boot marks, obviously plastic doesnt shine like new. I hear lots of talk about "it's only original once", "excellent original patina". Does this apply to dirt bikes? Will light resto(paint frame n engine, clean and detail all parts) hurt the value of this bike? I'm not looking to flip for a quick buck, more than likely will hold onto for 10 yrs or so and sell when my boy needs college money. Thanks

This is not a bike that's going to increase in value to talk college money.

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo:busted:

I've got well over 3k in my 85 XR350. It's gorgeous and people offer me 2k for it all the time...................................................