wr450

Hey all, im looking at getting a wr450 an probably my biggest question is: which is better the older steel frame or newer aluminum? Can some one tell me some pro/cons of the two? How much weight diff? I mostly single/two track ride along with fire/ logging roads, any info helps thanks

Some riders prefer the feel of steel in the WRF. My friend has a garage full of bikes, many new ones of all displacements, but when it comes to his e-start trail bike the favorite is the steel framed WRF.

I think steel frames are 1 reason KTMs are so popular for off-road racers.

Steel framed WR:

Much easier to access the carb, and other engine components. On the aluminum framed wr you have to remove the rear shock and lift/or remove subframe to remove the carb. It can be a pain.

Aluminum frame WR: If cosmetics is your thing, I like the fact that my gas tank is covered by the shrouds. No more yellowing of the tank graphics like on the steel framed years. It has a much more updated look. As far as performance, My 07' WR feels pretty flickable on the trail when moving, but when stopped or picking it up, you definately feel its weight!

I'm happy with my aluminum framed WR, but I'm sure you'll be happy with either. I've ridden them both, and haven't noticed much of a difference in performance.

If you purchase an 07', ensure that the air filter recall was completed. There was a small hole in the filter cage that would allow dirt and other debris to be sucked into your carb and engine!

Cool, thanks for the info guys, I think im gonna try an find a low hr steel frame being how I work on my bikes myself 9 out a 10 times. Is the motor the same since 05? And when did Yamaha start putting that factory speedo/odor/hr computer on them?