Sign in to follow this  

California Is Cali what it's cracked up to be? Need advice

Hey fellas I need some advice. I'm thinking of moving to california in the next few years from new jersey. Right now I am an apprentice for the electrician union so first off how is work over there in the union electrical field? Steady work? Thats most important. I'm a good B rider over here Motocross is my true passion but I also enjoy any other type of riding so what would be nutral place for most tracks and riding spots? Will I be able to afford it? Just any advice would be appreciated, what ever you can tell me. Thankyou.

Oh....it's cracked up all right. heh

Don't expect the work to open up easily here for you. The entire construction industry seems to be in a state of crisis. There are several nationalities of workers that are willing to work longer, harder and cheaper than most Americans - and I'm talking NON-Union Americans. Factor in you want a union job, and you're entering a rarified job market. That's just the way it is here.

CA is messed up in a lot of ways, but there is no way I'd live in NJ over CA. CA all the way....:bonk:

And yes, it's super expensive to live here.

That said, I'd rather live in AZ, OR or UT over CA.:smirk:

Yup I'll take Kali over NJ anyday, but it's not what it used to be. the diversity has diluted the american dream. the regulations, taxes, fees and surcharges are overwhelming. So many special interest groups have legislated away a lot of our riding areas. The damaged economy has crippled the track industry. Az, Ut, maybe even northern Nv will be my retirement destination.

With all my negative opinions socal is still a riding mecca.....

If you are a liberal tree hugger that doesnt mind the govt. sticking their noses into your life, Kalifornia is the place for you. The latest I read is that they are trying to pass a law telling you how often you can change your oil. Any motorcycle you might bring here probably wont be legal in this state..I wont even get into the nightmare that is the DMV. And if you should ever be unfortunate enough to need to visit an emergency room, expect a 4 or 5 hour wait because it will be clogged with illegal aliens getting their free health care. Other than that, the weather is nice here.

I was born, raised, and educated in California, and I can tell you that it's a good place to be FROM. I haven't lived there in over 30 years, and I am completly happy about that. I'd sooner die than have to live in my home state.

Well that's too bad it sounds like it's the best state but the worst state I heard Utah was a good state for action sports but is there even work there? And what about tracks California has so many tracks close to each other. The grass really looks greener from where I am but I guess not.

Well that's too bad it sounds like it's the best state but the worst state I heard Utah was a good state for action sports but is there even work there? And what about tracks California has so many tracks close to each other. The grass really looks greener from where I am but I guess not.

There are tons of tracks in lower Southern CA, that's for sure, but several have closed down.

But not a lot of work out here....

I've lived in California most of my life. San Diego is the best place to live if you're going to live in California and want to ride a motorcycle (IMHO). There are five motocross tracks within a two hour drive from my place, Baja is right next door and the deserts are virtually limitless. I can pretty much ride throughout the year. The summers get a little warm in Southern California, but there are still places to ride even during the hottest months.

Central and Northern California are a different story. The National Forest is almost completely closed off from riding (some dual sport), there are few tracks and most of the riding is in overridden OHV parks. Southern California really should be it's own state. I can't speak to the job opportunities in California for electrical workers. I'm single, no kids, no mortgage and work in a fairly stable industry, so my perspective is a little different than others. I know the state is a political and economic mess, but I've remained fairly immune from it's side-effects (so far).

You pay a lot to live in California (especially Southern California), but you get what you pay for as far as I'm concerned. Awesome weather and lots of riding. I travel to a lot of places throughout the country for work and I'm always grateful to come back to San Diego. I love it here and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. That may very well change if and when I want to "settle down" but that's not happening any time soon.

We have the stupidest government money can buy. And a lot of it is bought out for political campaign promises. California has a huge pension problem that is going to implode like Greece. So if you are a union worker and want to get a public pension, get in there now. What is offered to new hires is going to suck in comparison.

I have no problem with public employees getting a decent pension. Employees that retire in their 50's with a six figure pension, then get hired to a second government job with a six figure salary, I don't like. A lot of the problems here are probably similar in NJ.

I've lived in the Northern California area all of my life. If I could find a better place, I'd move. If I get laid off again, I'm selling my house and moving to Oregon or somewhere.

The San Diego area is tempting. Have a MX bike and a plated dual-sport bike.

If you're Mormon, Utah might be just the place. If you're not, Utah might be just the place to starve and die.

Thank you everyone for the advice I appreciate it I'm going to do some research and see what the best pick is Anymore information would be awesome though I think it's interesting stuff

if your only interested in track, california is hard to beat. ive been here 6 years.....6 long years. i moved here from utah, and ive been trying to get back ever since. california has a stranglehold on you from every angle the second you step into the state. i plan on getting the hell out of here in the next few years. goto AZ, NV, NM, or UT.

If you want to work hard and are not expecting a union handout, you'll be OK. Like I said earlier, there NO WAY I would live in NJ over Cali....:bonk:

I'm born a raised in california and it pisses me off to no end the over regulation and closures of riding areas in my home state over my 30 + yr riding career.However with that being said still a heck of a lot of riding out here in the desert especially with a plated bike,albeit not like it used to be,and tracks are fairly plentisome too.The thing that makes california a pretty nice place to be is that you can surf in the morning and be in the desert riding in the afternoon and hit the mtns and snowboard at night depending on time of year and your will to have fun.Workwise it's been tough these past years, Ive been a contractor for 25 years and these past have been the worst Ive seen,but being a electrician seems to be the better of the trades to find work lately?although hardly booming oppertunities,but they are out there in some areas.So it's all not doomsday out here depending on who you talk to and where your located.Oh the weather compared to the rest of states bar a couple is pretty decent in california.hey i'm stuck here to many ties to bail so I just gotta make the best of it.could be worse i suppose.

California has great riding, and you can ride comfortably year round.

That being said, I can't wait to get the hell out of here. California is a screwed up place with too much government doing too many stupid things. What is ironic is that the unions pour tons of into the campaigns of the worst politicians. Maybe it will suit you just fine? Come on out.

You should pick a couple places in the West you think you might want to live, and come out for a visit soon. Nothern Arizona, Nevada, Utah, and Idaho seem nice to me. Never been to NM, but hear it's nice. The time to live in CA has passed. We're all leaving...A few at a time as we get fired, layed off, outsourced, retire, etc. California is better than New Jersey in my mind. Just as many idiots and crooked thinking, but better weather and the desert.