carb vs muffler

I did the pipe then the carb and noticed a lot more with the FCR carb. I haven't ran it with a stock pipe though but I imagine it'll still make the biggest difference. Also I sold my stock carb and shopped around for a good deal on an FCR and did everything myself, so I'd say I have around $80 total in the conversion.

I installed the FCR-MX with the stock muffler still on the bike. The difference is already really amazing then - the character of the entire bike is obviously transformed: no more surging, no waiting for air/fuel ratio to synchronize after fully opening the throttle, improved throttle-response due to the accelerator pump, riding with low revs possible without an obviously unhappy engine, ...

After adding the GSX-R exhaust power improved further a little bit, torque is noticeably better. And the higher revs are reached more quickly - but this not the best part of the DR´s powerband (at least not with the stock cam). What really improves instantly is the sound (deep and thumping, but also louder).

You get the best package when doing both mods, but if you have to choose I´d recommend doing the carb first.

Thanks guys for your imputs. The carb would really be nice just to eliminate all the issues I've had with the stock one. The surging on windy days really gets old. I'm wanting a newer bike so any bolt ons that I buy I can and will put on the newer bike when and if I ever get it. I will save my pennies for the carb. Merry Christmas!

I hate the purple. I was thinking of powder coating it this winter black or grey. My bike now has just 7k miles so by no means worn out. However the po stored it outside so it show lots of sun fade in several areas. It would be nice to have a new looking bike. Not sure how much money I want to put into this bike when there are deals to find out there. I've been watching craigslist and just found a 2009 with 1100 miles in new condition for $3800 obo. It would just be nice to have a new bike I guess with no purple.

It's true that the pumper carb makes more difference but the stock pipe is sufficiently restrictive that it reduces the effectiveness of the carb mod. Here's what I would do in this order.

Add/modify in this order.

Remove snorkel

Air box

Air filter

rejet

GSXR Muffler

Exhaust pipe grind

Pumper carb

Change headlight, tail light seat, tank for lighter version

Revalve forks, change spring

Rework shock

High compression piston