KTM 530 EXC engine and tranny oil change question

Hey guys,

I've read the manual a few times but i'm not sure if i'm reading it right.. it says the engine & tranny oil change interval is at 3hrs run time. Is this the case? So basically I drop out engine & tranny oil every ride?

Also, I see that it's 600ml for the engine and 900ml for the box.. so basically 1.5L of oil every ride yeah?

I hope this isn't a dumb question, but I also noticed that there is no filter on the transmission side, just the engine side.. is this correct?

I bought the bike 2nd hand so want to give it some new oil tomorrow before heading out on it in a few days...

Thanks.

Hey guys,

I've read the manual a few times but i'm not sure if i'm reading it right.. it says the engine & tranny oil change interval is at 3hrs run time. Is this the case? So basically I drop out engine & tranny oil every ride?

Also, I see that it's 600ml for the engine and 900ml for the box.. so basically 1.5L of oil every ride yeah?

I hope this isn't a dumb question, but I also noticed that there is no filter on the transmission side, just the engine side.. is this correct?

I bought the bike 2nd hand so want to give it some new oil tomorrow before heading out on it in a few days...

Thanks.

Yes, 600ml in the engine and 900ml in the trans. No filter on the trans just a screen. The first change is said to be around 3 hrs, but after that the book says every 15 hrs. I change mine every 5-7 hours. Some change the trans every other oil change. I do mine every time.

Do you guys lay your bike over on its side to fill the oil filter housing like the manual says?

I just pour oil on the filter to saturate it.I change trans oil every other time because when i did it every time the oil looked brand new.It still looks brand new every other oil change but i change it anyway.And after break in i just clean the screens every other time too.

I change the engine (replace filter and clean screens) and trans oil after every third ride. I also fill the oil filter with oil and let it soak in then install the filter.

I think you can go longer between oil changes on the motors with the engine and trany seperate.

Those figures are so not needed. I have a 530 XC-W. I change my engine oil every 500 miles and my tranny every other oil change. At 1000 miles my tranny oil looks brand new. And at 500 miles my engine oil still has plenty of color. I once rode from Phoenix to Moab all off-road, 700 miles before I could get to change the engine oil. I was using thumper synthetic, and it looked fine. 3 hrs, or even 10 for that matter is bogus. Thats 1 day of riding for me. You can run it much longer. Just start increasing your intervals, and when you change it, if the oil still looks good, then run it longer the next time. You will be fine.

Those figures are so not needed. I have a 530 XC-W. I change my engine oil every 500 miles and my tranny every other oil change. At 1000 miles my tranny oil looks brand new. And at 500 miles my engine oil still has plenty of color. I once rode from Phoenix to Moab all off-road, 700 miles before I could get to change the engine oil. I was using thumper synthetic, and it looked fine. 3 hrs, or even 10 for that matter is bogus. Thats 1 day of riding for me. You can run it much longer. Just start increasing your intervals, and when you change it, if the oil still looks good, then run it longer the next time. You will be fine.

I do not think a blanket statement like this works for everyone. But I do agree most people change their oil to often.

If you took the above for a 450+ bike- then took time away for conditions (heat, dust) riding style (reving it to the moon or lugging) Did you spent the day slipping the clutch in tight single track, you can extend the interval.

Also must adjust for displacement, smaller motors are harder on the oil.

But whats the down side to changing oil to much- you out an extra $100 a year. To little will toast a motor.

I change the oil in my fleet of vans every 4000. I sell the trucks at 200,000 miles. 17 years no motor problems. I go to 4000 so the rest of the vans get looked at also.( drivers do not check things as often as they should.

Hey guys,

Thanks.

As mentioned, the manual ratings are for "racing". If you're the casual trail rider/dualsport then those ratings are obviously not the same.

I don't race and consider myself a casual dualsport/trail rider. I don't even do harescrambles. That being said I typically change my engine oil around every 5 hours or so and my tranny oil every other oil change (12-15 hours). I use my oil level sight glass as an indicator. Not for oil level but for clarity. Once I can't see thru the dark oil anymore I change it, which usually is around 5 hours or so. Less if you ride harder. Todays high-end oils are excellent performers and even though it looks dark and nasty, its still lubricating as if it looked 'clean'. But I'm a bit of an OCD freak so I change mine often. My tranny oil has always looked pretty much brand new after hours of use.

Yes you lay the bike on its side to add the oil in the oil filter cavity and pre-oil the filter by filling it. I pamper mine so it gets the full pillow (for radiator and shroud) and blanket treatment haha. BTW, if you've done the 'must-do' mods on the 530 or it already had then done with uncorking the bike, be sure you re-install the catch can temporarily so that it will hold all the fuel that it going to come pouring out of the drain tubes when the bike is on its side. A garage full of spilled fuel takes forever to clean out the smell. I know haha. If you don't have the catch can then use a tupperware dish or something to catch the fuel from the drain lines. It will dump all the fuel from your carb bowl, as it should.

Here is a super basic How-To video I made for people with 530's who maybe don't do their own maintenance or have their dealer do it. It's a very simple process.

Note: I no longer pour in 3XXml or whatever amount of oil initially as the manual suggests and as the video mentions. Today to make things faster/easier I use a measuring cup and pour in all 600ml of oil. I then fill the oil filter cavity 1/3, fill the oil filter, then pour the remaining amount of oil into the engine case. Done.

BTW with your new toy be sure to ALWAYS measure out how much oil you drain as well as put in. This way you can monitor what your oil is doing between changes. If you notice a signiticant drop in oil loss then its probably going into tranny.

PS, there are no 'dumb' questions. :bonk:

Hey guys just about to do an oil change! I know the manual sais 10w50 for the ktm 530 09 model, though am wondering can I get away with 10w60 instead. It's 100% synthetic. The store man gave me that instead of the 10w50 so just thought I'd check! Thanks