Sign in to follow this  

88 cr250 good?

hey guys, just looking for some opinions, how do you guys feel about the late 80's cr250s? specifically the 88. have a chance on a good deal (i think) on a 88 cr250, havent looked at it yet. but it supposedly has 10 hrs on complete rebuild, it lives outdoors covered up. thinking about trading him a lil xr100 that doesnt get ridin much at all. i'll try n post some pics of the cr when i get some from owner. thanks, tony

yeah, thats what i heard too, doesnt urs have the USD forks? there is a salvage yard here local, it has an 89 cr250 and it has conventional style. although, from what i understand they are cartridge still. i think 88s also were cartridge not sure thou.

haha yeah, in my searching i came across that vid too. it sure looks nice. i wouldnt be puttin that much into it. just a enuf to make it mech. sound, then ride!!! thank you.

Hey bpaul, i noticed in ur sig that you had a 88cr250 how'd you like it?

I raced the 86,87,88, and 89 back then. The 88 was not as good as the 87 but better than the 89. I haven't ridden them since then so I can't compare them to a modern bike. I currently have a 2007 practice bike that I sometimes prefer over my CRF 450 depending on the track. It would be nice to try An older bike now but the last versions of the CR250 (2002-2007) handle very well and no matter what you read they are competitive.

I had brand new 1987, 88, 89, 90 and 91 CR250's. The 1987 was by far the best followed by the 90. I completely (but respectfully) disagree that the 88 was better than the 89. The 89 was a much better bike with horrid forks. The 1988 was very average all around andmy least favorite along with my 1991.

haha yeah, in my searching i came across that vid too. it sure looks nice. i wouldnt be puttin that much into it. just a enuf to make it mech. sound, then ride!!! thank you.

Hey bpaul, i noticed in ur sig that you had a 88cr250 how'd you like it?

Love the '88, suspension is all set up for me. I think it is a great bike.