Sign in to follow this  

CR 250 or YZ 250

Talking smokers here. Interested in the newest aluminum frame i can afford. Plan on keeping this bike awhile. NO mx. Woods and leisure only. Not partial to either brand, but would like to hear the pros/cons between the two. Which would be a better choice?

As an owner of both bikes I have to say that I would give a slight nod to the YZ250. Mainly because of the engine's bottom end characteristics when lugging the bike through the tighter more technical areas of the trails. However, the CR250R is also an excellent 250cc two-stroke for sure. My 2002 CR250R turns better and the front end seems to stay more planted than my 2007 YZ250's does when coming into a fairly rough corner hot. I had the YZ250's suspension resprung and revalved for my weight and riding style and now the bike is much more enjoyable to ride and doesn't deflect off of rocks and exposed tree roots nearly as bad as it did with the stock suspension set up. Some people find the CR250R's power delivery to be more desirable for woods riding because it's a little more tame. I purchased the Boyesen Rad Valve and Boyesen exhaust flange for the CR250R and it definitely woke it up some on the bottom end. The initial build quality of both these bikes is excellent in my opinion as is the downstream reliability when maintained properly. If you do purchase a low hour 2002-2007 CR250R that should happen to still have the stock chain on it you should replace it right away. It's junk!!! All in all both of these bikes are a whole lot of fun to ride. I would just try to find a bike that is in very good condition, modify it to your personal preferences and ride it hard. You can't go wrong with either the YZ250 or CR250R.

• Like 1

I ride an '02 CR250, and my Brother rides an '06 YZ250. CR high points: better brakes, tighter more responsive steering, better ergonomics, more roomy for taller riders. YZ high points: plusher suspension, better low-end torque, still in production.

Both bikes are super reliable with excellent build quality, both handle really well when set-up properly, and both have plenty of aftermarket products available. You really can't go wrong either way, since your buying used, let the best deal drive your decision.

I was just about to post the same question. I'm looking for a 2nd bike, considering building a woods racer and learning about 2 strokes with one of these.

Any years to avoid on either? I wouldn't want to go much older than 2000 I guess, not looking or a vintage racer, hehe.

I'd imagine parts are easier to find for the YZ? Seems like more aftermarket support too, since they really haven't changed anything on them in ages.

That said, I did read about the 2001 CR250 motor and I'm intrigued by that bad-boy...

As an owner of both bikes I have to say that I would give a slight nod to the YZ250. Mainly because of the engine's bottom end characteristics when lugging the bike through the tighter more technical areas of the trails. However, the CR250R is also an excellent 250cc two-stroke for sure. My 2002 CR250R turns better and the front end seems to stay more planted than my 2007 YZ250's does when coming into a fairly rough corner hot. I had the YZ250's suspension resprung and revalved for my weight and riding style and now the bike is much more enjoyable to ride and doesn't deflect off of rocks and exposed tree roots nearly as bad as it did with the stock suspension set up. Some people find the CR250R's power delivery to be more desirable for woods riding because it's a little more tame. I purchased the Boyesen Rad Valve and Boyesen exhaust flange for the CR250R and it definitely woke it up some on the bottom end. The initial build quality of both these bikes is excellent in my opinion as is the downstream reliability when maintained properly. If you do purchase a low hour 2002-2007 CR250R that should happen to still have the stock chain on it you should replace it right away. It's junk!!! All in all both of these bikes are a whole lot of fun to ride. I would just try to find a bike that is in very good condition, modify it to your personal preferences and ride it hard. You can't go wrong with either the YZ250 or CR250R.

what about the razer sharp turning rm250?

I don't think you can really go wrong with any modern 250 smoker. My newest woods bike is an 09 250 sx (revalve, 18" wheel, and other woods set-up goodies), an yes, I would say it is a better bike than my 04 RM and recently sold 01 CR, but surely not worth the extra money (I purchased it new) in terms of real performance differences. I've ridden excellent woods examples of other brands as well. I would just look for a clean, unmolested example of any brand bike, and budget enough for your suspension tuner to give you a good woods set up. Suspension is, IMO, by far the most important factor in making a good woods bike out of an MX bike. The brand of bike you start with is of very little importance.

what about the razer sharp turning rm250?

The RM250 is also a good bike but the person that started this thread explicitly asked for opinions on the "CR250" and "YZ250".

I would probably go with the yamaha... they are the only company who (besides ktm and other foreign bikes) that still sells new ones and since the engine hasn't changed for years will continue to be the easiest to buy parts for :bonk:

Performance wise, bikes are pretty close. I would lean towards the yz. Easier to find and it appears the frame allows better access to the carb for jetting adjustments. I think the yz frame vibrates less than the cr.

I was in the same situation a year ago or so and i went with the YZ due to it still being produced and the fact that our local yamaha dealer is much nicer to deal with than our Honda dealer. No regrets. Love my YZ.

Cant beat the YZ...still being made, and it is an all around versatile bike that can be ridden in many types of riding/racing. I have had YZ250's in the past, and they were always great do-all bikes.

Both bikes are very good. Of the both of those, I would probably go with the YZ. I like the Feel of the CR a little better but am not in love with the electric powervalve. I would not overlook other brands and steel frames. I was looking at the same things and found a near mint 2002 KX250 for 1200. I would pretty much look for the bike in the best condition that you can find the best deal on.

+1, looking used for a woods conversion bike buy on condition. To me all the 250s run about the same, You'd have to jump off one and on another to notice much difference in power. If your tall a husky might also be considered, great woods power with their old school heavy cranked motors.

Also search ebay for parts, see which one you get the most hits on, if you want to know what it's going to cost you. Any used older twostroke needs a crank and piston IMO, factor it in to the price.

For woods, go with the YZ. better power delivery. the CR has more mid to top "hit".

For woods, go with the YZ. better power delivery. the CR has more mid to top "hit".

Yes, but their bottom end power is not bad. It lugs pretty good. I prefer it over YZ coz the CR won't jump out from under you at low-mid throttle openings. Woods here are very narrow and lushly overgrown (slow narrow and twisty).