Sign in to follow this  

Replate?

Well this pretty much slipped by me this whole time. I thought my cylinder was pretty decent when I pulled the piston. Maybe it flaked when I got it honed by a friend. Will this need a replate? It's rather small, but it does catch on my nail slightly.

Photo07721.jpg

Crappy picture. Post a better one

Sorry, it's my phone camera. All I got to work with right now. You can clearly see the chipping. Is that ok to run with for the summer or is it too big. It's smaller than like 1/4 inch.

Edited by ZGILBERT93

I can't tell from the picture. If you can catch your fingernail in it I would replate it. Send it to Eric Gorr, he'll check it out for you and get it replated.

looks fine those marking look normal, can't really tell how deep they are, but if your not sure go to your local machine shop and ask them if they can re-hone it, re-honing cost like 30 bucks, better then spending $120 on and sleeve and $160 for labor.

looks fine those marking look normal, can't really tell how deep they are, but if your not sure go to your local machine shop and ask them if they can re-hone it, re-honing cost like 30 bucks, better then spending $120 on and sleeve and $160 for labor.

Why sleeve a plated cylinder?

He already said it was honed. To me it looks like the plating has flaked off.

Yeah its plated and flaked, I just wasn't sure if it was useable or not. Eric Gorr is out of the budget. But Powerseal is only an hours drive from me so I'll probably take it to them. I need my piston kit first so hopefully they can just match it up which would be great. Looks like I'll be waiting for a while until I get graphics, bars, and grips.

Edit: I'll see if I can get a better picture.

Cylinder.jpg

Edited by ZGILBERT93

Yeah its plated and flaked, I just wasn't sure if it was useable or not. Eric Gorr is out of the budget. But Powerseal is only an hours drive from me so I'll probably take it to them. I need my piston kit first so hopefully they can just match it up which would be great. Looks like I'll be waiting for a while until I get graphics, bars, and grips.

Edit: I'll see if I can get a better picture.

Check with U.S. Chrome and Lancourt. They might have better prices.

Powerseal is the cheapest since I could just drive there. Would I need to take apart the power valve springs and all that mess? Also is it ok to for the bolts to be sticking out of the top or am I going to need to have them removed before plating?

Powerseal is the cheapest since I could just drive there. Would I need to take apart the power valve springs and all that mess? Also is it ok to for the bolts to be sticking out of the top or am I going to need to have them removed before plating?

I would remove the powervalve assembly and head studs, it might save you some cash.

I would remove the powervalve assembly and head studs, it might save you some cash.

Do the head stubs just come out? They seem planted in there.

yup....thread 1 nut on upside down(flange first) then the other right side up

tighten the 2 nuts together

loosen using the bottom (upside down) nut

its called double nutting...and theres some killer jokes for that but .....

yup....thread 1 nut on upside down(flange first) then the other right side up

tighten the 2 nuts together

loosen using the bottom (upside down) nut

its called double nutting...and theres some killer jokes for that but .....

Thanks for showing me how to double nut:lol: Cool that should save a few bucks.

I went with Powerseal for my cylinder and they did great work. I think they charge like $190 for plate/hone so that's probably your best bet. I'd remove the powervalve assembly and studs since they will charge you $25 I think (look at their website).