Extremely Disappointed in SMART Performance.

Let me start by saying, I have been more than reasonable during this whole process. I Contacted Dave in the beginning of December regarding my 2005 Yz250 forks/shock. I told him I would be in the bay area (were he lives) and would like to arrange it so that I could give him the forks/shock, and then come pick them up when I would be in town (Dec 17-19th). I asked if I had the forks/shock to him by the 13th, if that would be enought time to get the work done and he said yes. I was able to have them HAND delivered to him by my Girlfriend's father, Monday, the 12th*who drive down from Sacramento.

I called him Sunday to arrange a time for me to pick them up and got a voicemail. I sent him a text message and he responded that he was behind schedule and he would be done either that night, or Monday and offered to ship them for free or drive them to me in Sacramento.

Monday comes around and I have since called him several times, and text or 2 with no response. I went back to Sacramento with no forks, frustrated. Granted, I can understand the guy is busy but his communication has been far from what I have read here. He called me back Monday afternoon, and told me they would be shipping out most likely Tuesday/Wednesday and I would have them in time for my Xmas ride that I told him about.

I figured I would leave him alone for a few days and see if he calls asking for my shipping address. Here it is, Thursday night, I am supposed to be leaving Saturday night for my ride, with no suspension. I called him about 30 mins ago, got his voicemail.

Dave J, I hate being "that" guy that goes on a forum to badmouth a business man, but you need to get this straight before I consider them stolen and have to go to the law. I am very disappointed in SMART performance and I just want my forks back regardless if they are done or not. I researched you for 8 months before I decided to have you do the work. I wish I would of went local. I'm calling you out to make this right.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Redwood,

Hang in there Dave will make it right!:bonk:

Call him up next time, tell him that you will get jw on him. ?

jw

I have tried to call him, with no response. He claims my forks were in the testing stage and now a machine broke. I want my forks back in stock form and I will pay someone else to have them worked on. I ask him via text what condition my forks are in, and he changes the subject. Very fishy responses.

If I owned a business were I worked on someone's property, and a machine broke, I would contact my customer and inform them that I wont be able to meet the original deadline. Instead you make the customer call and call and call wondering were the hell his suspension is. Im over SMART performance.

I have tried to call him, with no response. He claims my forks were in the testing stage and now a machine broke. I want my forks back in stock form and I will pay someone else to have them worked on. I ask him via text what condition my forks are in, and he changes the subject. Very fishy responses.

If I owned a business were I worked on someone's property, and a machine broke, I would contact my customer and inform them that I wont be able to meet the original deadline. Instead you make the customer call and call and call wondering were the hell his suspension is. Im over SMART performance.

I can understand how your upset. Sometimes one gets wrapped up in their work and before you know it end of the day is up. But you are right though communication is everything. Machines break and sh#t just happens in the shop. But you have a good point. You can bank on it Dave will make it right with you. He is a real good guy and he works super hard. He is the todays Santa Claus and he just needs more elves.:bonk:

I know, when your bike is down, its hard to get your joy back. ?

I know, when your bike is down, its hard to get your joy back. :bonk:

Yea, but it doesn't make a difference sadly. If this was a race situation and the OP was a racer and had to race saturday, this is unacceptable.

There is no machine needed to do the forks/shock on a YZ, unless he plans on doing very intricate valving changes and put them on a shock/fork dyno, but I highly doubt that is what he'll be doing. He could also be trying to measure the spring rates, but honestly, he could tell the client he needs to replace the springs and just finish the job.

A lot of times what happens is, tuners think they have parts in stock and they don't. So things get backed up as they wait for suppliers, etc. It takes roughly 2 hours to dismantle set of forks, re-shim them and put them back together again, another hour or so for a shock. So we're not talking a lot of work...

I get frustrated because I've been led here and there by tuners and I'm sick and tired of it myself. In today's world, if you wanna stay in business, you need to deliver on time, have top-notch communication and there are NO excuses, either deliver a finalized product or return the item untouched.

Yea, but it doesn't make a difference sadly. If this was a race situation and the OP was a racer and had to race saturday, this is unacceptable.

There is no machine needed to do the forks/shock on a YZ, unless he plans on doing very intricate valving changes and put them on a shock/fork dyno, but I highly doubt that is what he'll be doing. He could also be trying to measure the spring rates, but honestly, he could tell the client he needs to replace the springs and just finish the job.

A lot of times what happens is, tuners think they have parts in stock and they don't. So things get backed up as they wait for suppliers, etc. It takes roughly 2 hours to dismantle set of forks, re-shim them and put them back together again, another hour or so for a shock. So we're not talking a lot of work...

I get frustrated because I've been led here and there by tuners and I'm sick and tired of it myself. In today's world, if you wanna stay in business, you need to deliver on time, have top-notch communication and there are NO excuses, either deliver a finalized product or return the item untouched.

EXACTLY my point. I could have ordered the kit he provides, and done it myself in less time, I didnt have all the tools so that is why I sent them to him. I cant understand what "machine" is causing such a delay. I have worked motorcycle retail before and the "excuses" he is giving me sound exactly like you mention, either he doesn't have all the parts needed, or he broke something and is waiting for parts. IF I ever get them back, I am going to have to take them to a local shop to inspect them to make sure everything is put back together properly and safe to ride. I just want my stuff back :bonk:

He's right. We screwed up.

We are way behind.

We have had quite a few part shortages over the last two to three months but in this case it was related to some equipment failure and just poor management on our part by not keeping everyone informed.

If it matters, forks and shocks are often tested when they come in, and always tested before they go out. Not much different than what an engine builder would do...but certainly not normal for the suspension industry.

It's a machine similar to a standard suspension dyno but it's fully hydraulic...and very noisy...and once it gets going you don't stop it to answer the phone. Over the past few months we been having problems with the mounting clevis pulling out or cracking and when one goes at a high velocity it tends to rip out some of the sensors or load cells with it. We then have to scramble to find and get new sensors and/or redo the clevis or mounts, then get things programed back into the control unit. Takes a long time and there's enough coding involved to melt one's brain.

We are doing things here that are not normal and often don't make any sense, but it is leading to bigger and better things. Sometimes that bites us in the butt. Other times, we make some cool discoveries or find problems before a suspension is sent out. So we are experimenting in new ways to see what works and what doesn't.

So...too much engineering and not enough customer service. Can't seem to do both on our current budget.

In either case, he has every right to be upset. I would be too.

But of course we'll do whatever you wish at this point to make it right.

There is no machine needed to do the forks/shock on a YZ, unless he plans on doing very intricate valving changes...

Actually, that is the only sort of work that we do. And yes, there are some machines involved. :bonk:

It takes roughly 2 hours to dismantle set of forks, re-shim them and put them back together again, another hour or so for a shock. So we're not talking a lot of work...

It's six hours total, assuming nothing goes wrong. Just cleaning, porting and polishing things is two hours worth. Perhaps you're thinking of a different type of suspension re-valve or service.

Yes I agree, in a race situation is different.

It takes roughly 2 hours to dismantle set of forks, re-shim them and put them back together again, another hour or so for a shock. So we're not talking a lot of work...

I disagree, we are talking about a bunch of work. Cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning. :bonk:

He's right. We screwed up.

We are way behind.

We have had quite a few part shortages over the last two to three months but in this case it was related to some equipment failure and just poor management on our part by not keeping everyone informed.

If it matters, forks and shocks are often tested when they come in, and always tested before they go out. Not much different than what an engine builder would do...but certainly not normal for the suspension industry.

It's a machine similar to a standard suspension dyno but it's fully hydraulic...and very noisy...and once it gets going you don't stop it to answer the phone. Over the past few months we been having problems with the mounting clevis pulling out or cracking and when one goes at a high velocity it tends to rip out some of the sensors or load cells with it. We then have to scramble to find and get new sensors and/or redo the clevis or mounts, then get things programed back into the control unit. Takes a long time and there's enough coding involved to melt one's brain.

We are doing things here that are not normal and often don't make any sense, but it is leading to bigger and better things. Sometimes that bites us in the butt. Other times, we make some cool discoveries or find problems before a suspension is sent out. So we are experimenting in new ways to see what works and what doesn't.

So...too much engineering and not enough customer service. Can't seem to do both on our current budget.

In either case, he has every right to be upset. I would be too.

But of course we'll do whatever you wish at this point to make it right.

Dave, I am sure you do awesome work. Honestly I wouldn't be here posting this if you would just CALL me and tell me what the hell is going on every once in a while and stop beating around the bush when I ask you what condition the forks are in. If you knew in the back of your mind that a week might not be long enough, I would of been ok with it. If you told me you needed a few weeks total, again, I wouldn't mind. I don't like sitting here, not knowing the condition of my suspension and when I call you, all I get back are text messages.

Customer service should come number one. I'm not going to lecture you on how to run your business but when someone sends you something and has the hardest time getting a hold of you day after day, of course suspicion happens. I just want my stuff back, complete the way they were given to you, and I will put them back on and ride it in stock form.

Yes I agree, in a race situation is different.

I disagree, we are talking about a bunch of work. Cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning. :bonk:

Its not different at all. I am a paying customer, and we both agreed on a time frame on which I would be able to meet and shake the guys hand who "fixed" my suspension. If you cant meet a deadline, you better be able to keep your customer informed.

Customer service should come number one. I'm not going to lecture you on how to run your business but when someone sends you something and has the hardest time getting a hold of you day after day, of course suspicion happens. I just want my stuff back, complete the way they were given to you, and I will put them back on and ride it in stock form.

Its not different at all. I am a paying customer, and we both agreed on a time frame on which I would be able to meet and shake the guys hand who "fixed" my suspension. If you cant meet a deadline, you better be able to keep your customer informed.

You are absolutely correct!:bonk:

First off, I don't mean to pick on SmartPerformance at all, I haven't done business with them, so I apologize in advance about sounding negative towards them.

But, I have run very successful service-based businesses before where time is super critical and there are no excuses. If nobody else uses a shock/fork dyno to test the components before they leave the shop, that means you guys don't really need to as well. You can simply call the client, tell them you were unable to test the components, but they are done and will be (this is the important thing) ON TIME!

Being on-time is far more important then being 100% accurate with your work. Plus, unlike other industries, you guys CAN be 100% because you've done the same task so many times its ridiculous, you can probably do the work blind folded, especially with YZ components, some of the most common ones out there.

IDK, its frustrating... :bonk:

sorry for introducing myself in this thread,but in my state when i PAY a professional tuner

i need a professional job,no delays and no excuses are possible.unless the rider accept the waiting time according by tuner.different state,different kind of work.but the sincerity is always appreciated.I do not want to offend anyone

First off, I don't mean to pick on SmartPerformance at all, I haven't done business with them, so I apologize in advance about sounding negative towards them.

But, I have run very successful service-based businesses before where time is super critical and there are no excuses. If nobody else uses a shock/fork dyno to test the components before they leave the shop, that means you guys don't really need to as well.

Depends. About 80% of the time what we strap in is what goes out the door. 15% of the time we find something we don't like and we can then squeeze out just a bit more performance or safety. Additionally, we like to be able to deliver something that doesn't need a day or two of adjustments. Just bolt on and go. At least that's the goal.

And then 5% of the time we find something really nasty, like a cracked tube or lug, or with heavier riders, broken shock shafts. Things that you don't see during a normal service that could result in a serious injury or death for someone that jumps triples for a living. I will never let my guard down on stuff like that as we have seen too much stuff come in that someone was riding on...BECAUSE some other "normal" suspension shop missed it. I mean, who cares if it's on time when there's a big crack running through it?

So...as a KTM rider, here's something that you can relate to.

Last week a brand new KTM SX-F bike comes in, recently done via a competitor, (most likely shipped on time). All is assumed well until we start running some higher level tests on it and during a bottom out cycle one of the sensors sees some movement and faults out. Machine is shut down and we pull the fork apart and find this. Again, not very common, but common enough.

FAILED_WP_CC_CART_SMALL-600x450.jpg

But I see your point and most of the time we do stick to a very tight schedule. However, we are doing things with suspensions that no one has ever done before, because we are attempting to get to a level of performance at a given price point. Some days we skip right along, other days or weeks the sh*t hits the fan and all hell breaks loose. Since the start of November, we have been struggling trying to keep on schedule and get stuff out the door.

By the way, if this was just another suspension business we would then be redundant, and that’s not where innovation comes from.