Sign in to follow this  

2010 non-starting checklist-

Long story short I had the bike in a garage (not heated but insulated) for a month or without starting it. I didn't think it was going to be such a big deal but when I went to start it, well it wouldn't fire.

Now let me back up a few. I bought the bike Thanksgiving and got to ride it one day before putting it up. I noticed towards the end of the ride the Kill switch button got cut. I put some duct tape over it and it never missed a beat, until now I guess. Started in gear every time, so i'm doubting it's the valves...bike has around 15-20hrs on it.

I was wondering if unplugging the kill switch like the good ol' days and seeing if it would start would work...but since the kill switch is also part of the efi system I doubt that would work.

I don't have the owners manual or else I would refer to that...

Thanks.

Newer gen didn't have valve issue

Carefully check your wiring, also each connector. You can unplug the fuel line of the injector and check if fuel coming out when you kickstart it...

I smell gas when I am kicking it over, which I know doesn't really mean anything. I guess checking fuel at the injector would let me know if the injector is clogged or not, correct?

If it smeel gaz, probably your fuel pump working. Now remove the throtle body and check the spray of the injector, it's suppose to be a clean spray like paint can. Not like a brake cleaner can.

Check the video, the third from left is the only with good patern, the 3 others is clogged

Also check for fire at the spark

If you smell gas, that's a pretty good indication that there's no fire. Does it even backfire once in a while? Usually if it backfires, you're getting spark. If it doesn't, there's probably no spark.

Won't fire. Acts like there is no spark, haven't checked the spark plug because I don't have the right tool to get the spark plug out. I'll get a spark plug and socket when this weekend.

I'm Having the exact same issue with the same circumstances. The bike has been sitting for about a month now and when I go to start it nothing.it's a 2012 crf250r. I've had this happen before and usually kicking until I'm red in the face solves it. I checked my valves and there all within spec. I'm getting spark at my plug. Ive got a new fuel filter on order but that doesnt seem like it could be the problem cause once warm it runs perfect. Anyone have any thoughts? as my problem and the op's problem sound pretty similar so maybe its the same thing. Thanks

Krok

LOL...I have spark, valves are in spec. Next I need to check the fuel pump and injector to make sure they are working properly...Anyone know how to do this? I just have an owners manual, no shop manual...yet.

Spark plug didn't look terrible, but it looked like it needed to be replaced.

My 2010 does the same thing especially with race fuel. It's my opinion that when the temp gets below 40 degrees the Fi system goes over rich and floods the engine. Not surprised the previous poster smells fuel.

I have taken a small space heater pointed at the water pump for about an hour,the bike starts right up every time. Without the heater, not much luck.

My 2010 does the same thing especially with race fuel. It's my opinion that when the temp gets below 40 degrees the Fi system goes over rich and floods the engine. Not surprised the previous poster smells fuel.

I have taken a small space heater pointed at the water pump for about an hour,the bike starts right up every time. Without the heater, not much luck.

as good as that is that works for your it still isn't a fix to the problem. What do we need to do to fix this issue long term?

A remap maybe?

Update: Still won't turn over but now the FI light will come on for a split second when I get a nice solid kick. I'm sure that is the bike "wanting" to start but won't. I'll try again in a little bit.

ya my light will light up some times too. I spent the day checking all the electrical systems on the bike. Everything from pulling the coolant temp sensor out to check its resistance to checking the coil and condensor. Pretty much everything i could think of electrically I checked.

Im really hoping its something simple like the fuel filter. I'll know on tues when my dealer opens up again after the holidays. If anyone else has any suggestions post up. Thanks

krok

Ya just checked that sensor. Right within spec. But the spec is 2300 to 2600 ohms at 20c or 68f. Thanks though.

To check if injector is spraying correctly - remove it and kick the bike over...it will squirt if working

Unplug the kill switch too - I've found issue there.

And on bikes that have sat a long time - check for a corroded plug. Seen that too.

I'd recommend trying a new plug. I've managed to foul them already on my 2010. Even if there is spark it doesn't mean that its not fouled. Their expensive so if possible, find a friend whose plug you can try in your bike first to test.

Installed a new fuel filter with fresh gas tonight and still no start. Gonna try a new spark plug next and maybe try the space heater idea as I'm running out of ideas. :smirk:

check if you have power on the fuel pump . there is a green and a black wire .

the green is ground and the black is + . place a test light (12v) on this wire,s and see if it goes burns when you kick the engine . if you want check the fuel pump disconnect the pump wire connector and place a 12 v battery on the pump wire and see if the pump run .