Sign in to follow this  

Sockets or Wrenches

I'm building a road tool kit for the SM/S and am curious what others use and why. I know that some things would require a wrench (spokes, bolts in tight places, etc), while other things require a socket (recessed areas, bolts deep in the bike, etc). But alot of stuff could go either way. Like the axle nuts. I could use a wrench or socket. For socket storage, I'm thinking I could stack them and secure them together with a long bolt. Then the stack of sockets could go in one section of the tool roll. Wrenchs are nice in that they will fit nicely in a tool roll, but I think pound for pound, I'd get more out of sockets.

So, for emergency road/trail side repair, what's your preference and why?

Thanks,

WGW

Take whatever is most useful and lightest and has multiple use. If you can change bolts to common head sizes to eliminate special tools or single use tools, do that. It really does not take that many tools to be able to work on what can reasonably be repaired trail side. I prefer sockets (small and light) and always have 1 adjustable (Crescent) wrench. You can improvise a socket handle from an extension with a cross hole and a tommy bar. Just make sure everything works because when you need it, you really need it.

I would suggest two aluminum spoon/wrench jobbies for the axles, a wrench for the carb drain, wrenches for the chain slack adjusters, and sockets for most everything else. A 1/4" drive socket with a 10" extension can reach a lot on a bike.

Steve

I just carry better quality tools similar to what's in the OEM tool kit to deal with basic stuff...

My favourite tool is my mobile phone(cell phone)..

For major stuff I will use the "phone a friend" option or breakdown service ..:bonk:

I try and use all my tools in the shed before I ride but saying that, I carry tools that I can remove, seat, side covers, wheels and make any needed adjustments that might occur after a crash.

I also carry a selection of zippy ties, not just for me but for fellow riders.

Like Craig said, very similar to the OEM tool kit, just better quality.

Face it, if you need anymore than that, a cell phone is going to be the best tool to have:thumbsup:

Come on now, you don't carry "T" bar wrenches in a fanny pack do you?

Here's my tool kit for long trips.

Tools in the roll goes in the tool tube by the seat which I always carry. It has 8-13mm sockets, 8-13mm wrenches, test light, pliers, "T" wrench wound w/ bailing wire, spoke wrench, 1/2-3/8", 1/4-3/8" adapters, phillips/flat head screw diver bits. Tire levers, pump patch kit, 2 chain links, tubes, electrical tape, fuses.

Other stuff pictured only for long camping trips.

IMG_1216.jpg

1) gloves,2) tire levers and axle nut tool,3) tire pump, 4) rope, 5) front wheel bearings, 6) oil filter and o-rings, 7) nuts/bolts/fuses, 8) chain links, 9) spoke wrench & front axle nut tool, 10) patch kit, 11) wire ties, 12) electrical tape,

13) tool roll, misc, allen wrenches, combination wrenches, sockets, pliers, air gauge, test light, crescent wrench, screw driver bits, carb jets

14) Sven 15" saw and sheath, 15) wire, 16) 1/4" T wrench w/ bailing wire wraped, 17) chain tool, 18) hammer and epoxy, 19) jumper cables, 20) throttle and clutch cable, 21) coil, 22) front brake pads, 23) spark plug, 14T counter shaft sprocket, 24) 30mm counter shaft socket, and extension/adapters, 25) foot levers

Edited by One Less Harley

Great ideas. I always have my cell phone, but at times, I probably won't have coverage.

Got some pliers, screwdrivers, wrenches, allen sockets, chain link pliers, carb tools, axle holder, flat repair stuff (patches, air compressor, guage, core remover, cores, even slime), etc. A small 1/4" socket set would certainly pack well.

One Less Harley - I really like that baby hammer. Going to have to pick one of those up.

Getting the combo spoon / axle nut wrench makes sense. That would eliminate the need for two large sockets. I'm going to have to get some of those too.

For patching tubes, what do you use to clean the tube after you've buffed it? I usually use brake cleaner at home, but I don't want to carry anything pressurized with me. Do they make brake cleaner wipes? Haha. Probably not.

For my quarter inch ratchet I just bring a 6,8,10,12mm sockets. I also don't care much for patching tubes. I just bring one 21 inch tube for either tire.

Don't forget a needle nose and make sure the extra 20 amp fuse that's supposed to be right next to the 20 amp fuse you are using is actually good and present.

I don't think I'd bring any spare parts.

Here's my tool kit for long trips.

Tools in the roll goes in the tool tube by the seat which I always carry. It has 8-13mm sockets, 8-13mm wrenches, test light, pliers, "T" wrench wound w/ bailing wire, spoke wrench, 1/2-3/8", 1/4-3/8" adapters, phillips/flat head screw diver bits. Tire levers, pump patch kit, 2 chain links, tubes, electrical tape, fuses.

Other stuff pictured only for long camping trips.

IMG_1216.jpg

thats a decent kit

what would it weigh ?

thats a decent kit

what would it weigh ?

This is my "Adventure Kit"

I'm not sure about the weight. The other stuff goes in the bottom of the Wolfman Expedition Saddle Bags. Tubes, patch kit, levers go in the fender bag. Somewhere in all of that are some some spare nuts and bolts. #14 is actually a small Sven saw, comes in handy!!!

plus chain lube, air filter oil, trail stand. List of phone #'s of parts suppliers in the area where riding.cell phone and charger, some basic 1st aid supplies, misc bandages, pain pills (left over prescription not OTC)

This is my "Adventure Kit"

I'm not sure about the weight. The other stuff goes in the bottom of the Wolfman Expedition Saddle Bags. Tubes, patch kit, levers go in the fender bag. Somewhere in all of that are some some spare nuts and bolts. #14 is actually a small Sven saw, comes in handy!!!

plus chain lube, air filter oil, trail stand. List of phone #'s of parts suppliers in the area where riding.cell phone and charger, some basic 1st aid supplies, misc bandages, pain pills (left over prescription not OTC)

Very comprehensive kit...I think you would be the guy I would like to be taking a trip with...:bonk:

P.S...I will bring the cell phone....lol.:smirk:

Very comprehensive kit...I think you would be the guy I would like to be taking a trip with...:bonk:

P.S...I will bring the cell phone....lol.:banana:

I'll PM you my address..when can I expect the plane ticket from down under!!!:smirk: You'd have to wait for me as I'm not that good.

I don't like surprises on the road.....uh....trail.

when can I expect the plane ticket from down under.

Yours will be sent out soon after we have sorted Deb's ticket out :bonk::lol::smirk::lol: