Sign in to follow this  

Need a new clutch in Baja!!

I´m riding down the Baja California and am currently in Guerrero Negro. My clutch got a serious workout the other day in some bad mud and is now on its way out. I think I´ll need a new one soon. I can probably make it to Ciudad de Consitiucion, Loretto or even La Paz. I just need to find a place that can sell me some new clutch plates, and help me put them in. I´m hoping for a miracle here, so I can keep on going with this awesome trip!

Clutch plates may be a problem. Installing isn't. Bike on the side, take the clutch access cover off (it has an "O" ring so no gasket to worry about). Remove the 6 bolts that hold the clutch together, remove/instal plates as needed. The only thing to worry about is pay attention to the judder spring (last thing to come out, first to go back in) and the odd clutch plates that go over to clear the judder spring. OR the judder spring and the big washer next to it can be discarded. The judder spring does not help or hurt but some aftermarket clutches don't use it and it has to be removed because the clutch plates don't clear it.

I don't know how bad your clutch is but just disassemble and cleaning might help. Doesn't hurt to look.

Thanks for the tip, It was slipping earlier today. The adjustment had no free play. I had to take the lever off the shaft and re-locate it. It now has free play, but it had a tough time in some really thick mud. The mud piled up around the rear swingarm so bad that the wheel wouldn´t turn. I thought the tire was spinning in the mud, but it was actually just slipping the clutch and I think that took it´s toll. Othwerwise I´m having a great time in Baja, just need some parts so I can keep on riding.

Don't know on bikes but on trucks once they start slipping they go fast and it's a looong ride to La Paz .

I'm located in TJ and it takes me at least a week to get parts so I won't offer you to get the parts and ship them south unless you're enjoying your stay in Guerrero Negro :bonk:. PM me if that's the case or if I can be of any assistance.

If you can get to La Paz there are shops there, plenty of desert racing going on down there so they have competent mechanics. You can post for help on offroad.com.mx if you don't find any or if you get stranded.

Best of luck and post some pics of your ride.

Thanks for the offer Rhinoracer, I´m going to look around here today. The nearest dealer looks like Mexicali or on the mainland. I hear Baja Pak is pretty good and fast for shipping down here. I´ll show some pics soon, but the computer in this hotel won´t take my SD card.

I found a shop in Guerrero Negro and put my faith as well as $120 in his hands. He ordered me a clutch kit from San Deigo and will send it to La Paz when he gets it this Tuesday. I guess five days over Christmas isn´t too bad. In my little town in Canada, I´d be quite happy to get bike parts that fast. I cleaned the old clutch up and its working pretty good. None of the plates were down to the metal, but one was close on one side of it. I didn´t join the rest of the group for the Bay of Conception ride today in Mulege. Here I am hoping it shows up as planned and I get to enjoy some more Baja riding.

I wonder if it would help to put extra washers under the spring bolts to give some extra push? Be careful not to snap those bolts, your bike is pretty new but they will break off eventually.

Merry Christmas, Steve

good tip, one I considered. I was also told by a veteran Baja racer that punching a couple holes into the metal plates, to expand them will get you back in a worst case scenario. It´s holding for now and only have a couple more days of riding until I make La Paz.

I made it to La Paz, barely! First shop I went to had a clutch!! I checked to see if the one from the guy in Guerrero Negro had shown up yet and is wasn´t even in the system. I hope I don´t get duped, but at least there is at least one down here.

Glad you made it.

Find out where he ordered from and see if they can hold the parts for you. You can pick them up on your way back instead of waiting.

The mechanic from Geurerro Negro who has Cachorra motorsports had his brother in San Diego get the clutch and send it down here on Baja Pack. He sent me the tracking number last night and it should be here today or tomorrow at the latest, just like he told me. I trusted him and he did good. I am ahead of my group so I can still wait until tomorrow to get my parts. And La Paz is a beautiful city to be in. The clutch is still good enough to bomb around town, just not too happy pulling hills at hiway speeds with all the gear on the back.