Sign in to follow this  

Switch from a 250 XCW to a 300 XCW for racing Dez?

Okay guys, here's a question for ya. I currently race an 09' KTM 250 XCW in District 38 here in socal. I've just started racing a few months ago and am doing well. I got this bike after selling my 07' 300 XC, which I bought new. It just didn't have the final gearing to race desert competitively, thus I got the newer 250. I really was looking for a 300, but could only find a 250 at the time. I did plenty of research and thought the 250 would be fine. Same bike, right?! Fast forward a few months.

I've won all 5 races I've entered (Senior 40+, beg, nov, am). After continuing to do research and getting this bike dialed in with suspension, tires, stabilizer, etc, I don't know what to do, as my buddy just got a brand new 300 xcw and is selling his 08' 300 xcw. Basically, I can sell my 250 and get his 300 for about zero difference.

After this racing, I'm seeing that fast guys are winning races because they are fast, not because of what they are riding. I would think that being the same bottom end, my 250 would put less stress on the bottom end than a 300 would. Most of my racing is 3rd -5th gear. I know the 300 has the grunt on the low end, but that's not where I'm winning races vs a 250. I'm pretty much convinced to just keep my 250. Anyone come up with a reason to switch out to a 300? I'm really into the longevity/dependability thing, so this is a big factor for me. Thanks for your input.:bonk:

Those 2 bikes are identical except for the jug, head, and piston. Why change the entire bike just to change displacement? If you want more torque just put a 300 top end in your bike that you are already familiar with the condition of everything, rather than getting on a new bike. I'd save that mod for when you're due anyway for a fresh top end.

As for dependability, I'd think a 300's ability to run at lower revs would outweigh the greater load on the bottom end per stroke.

I agree they are the same bike. I would be having the same conversation when it was time to do the top end. Especially when I have to pay for the new cylinder and ecu. The fact that I can pretty much do it for free tempts me at this point.

Also, I'm not convinced that there is any advantage, like I used to be. Lot's a high rpm stuff that I'm doing and as I understand the 250 get r's quicker due to lighter piston.