Sign in to follow this  

So many choices what bike to get...

Hello I am new to the forum. A little background I grew up riding motorcycles and am getting back into it now at the age of 41. I would say im a intermediate rider that errors on the side of caution. I live around the Dallas area and there are several good choices for used bikes, there are 2 1999 CR 250 for $1000, a 1995 CR250 for $700 a 1996 RM 250 for $1000 and several brands of 125 for around the same price. I have looked online and the advice seems to be that a 2001 CR 250 is a good find. What do you guys think about the bikes I have available or should I save a little more and get something newer. All the bikes listed appear to be in good condition btw. Thanks for your input in advance..Let me also say when it comes to the choice of a bike I am 5'11" and 300lbs...

The 2001 cr is a great bike. I owned a 2000 cr and had great luck with it. Both bikes are pretty much the same. how ever after I made the switch to the four stroke 450, I found it much easier to ride in the lower rpm's. I would look around for a 1st or 2nd gen crf 450. If you can swing $2,000.00 I've seen them out there.

I can rule out the rm 250 the powerband would hit real quick then just make a bunch of noise on the top end it seemed, is that typical of a 1996 rm 250

What type of riding are you going to be doing? I'd say go for the 450 4st. I'm almost 43 and ride a KX450 in the woods. It can get a little hairy in the tight stuff and requires some clutch work but it sure is a blast when the trail opens up. Where around Dallas are you?

i'd say go for the 4 stroke also. much better of a ride overall i feel. i've seen some older 250's and some 450's for under 2000 in my area, just need to keep hunting. good luck

forget the four stroke. buy a 93-96 cr 250, a 2001 cr 250, or a 2005-present yz 250. lighter, funner, easier to work on.

that 1995 cr would be fun. can it be had for $500?

What type of riding are you going to be doing? I'd say go for the 450 4st. I'm almost 43 and ride a KX450 in the woods. It can get a little hairy in the tight stuff and requires some clutch work but it sure is a blast when the trail opens up. Where around Dallas are you?

I live in Sherman 60 miles north of Dallas up 75..

forget the four stroke. buy a 93-96 cr 250, a 2001 cr 250, or a 2005-present yz 250. lighter, funner, easier to work on.

that 1995 cr would be fun. can it be had for $500?

Im going to look at the 2 look at the 99 and the 95 tommrow, also a 2001 kx 125

I live in Sherman 60 miles north of Dallas up 75..

I'm just east of you in Paris. My son rides both mx and offroad so we come over to Sherman sometimes and ride North Forty. I stick to the trails mostly. Sometimes we head out past Gainesville to Red River Motorcycle Trails. If you ever wanna hit the trails give me a shout.

I'm just east of you in Paris. My son rides both mx and offroad so we come over to Sherman sometimes and ride North Forty. I stick to the trails mostly. Sometimes we head out past Gainesville to Red River Motorcycle Trails. If you ever wanna hit the trails give me a shout.

I will do it is gonna take a while to get comfortable on a bike im pretty out of shape and its been awhile but it will be fun to get back on and ride...

I will do it is gonna take a while to get comfortable on a bike im pretty out of shape and its been awhile but it will be fun to get back on and ride...

You won't regret it. Do like I did and hit the weights. I got back into riding when I was about 35 after giving it up at 16. I started out with a 98 RM250, 04 YZ450F, 06 WR450F, and now I'm on a '11 KX450F. I didn't take up the weights until about 2 months ago and before then I would be shot after just a few hours. When riding with a 16 year old I need all the advantage I can get.