Sign in to follow this  

XR600R Battery question

I bought my 1994 XR600R used in 2008, it did not have a battery on it, it does not appear that it ever did. How did they come off the showroom? Mine was converted in Texas to street use via Baja kit, had hokey mirrors, headlight (no dimmer), tail light, rear brake switch only, no turn signals, and a very hokey horn. When I look at upgrading for turn signals, it appears I will probably need a battery to start with. Our local Kansas Highway Patrol officer advised I could do hand signals instead of turn signals but I am afraid was other local police might say,,,,anyone aware how the bikes came from the showroom???

they come from the showroom shiny.

xr has no battery,i wonder what kind of kit you have, the kit now has a battery pack behind the number plate.

if you don't need blinkers, or a headlight with a high/low beam, all you need is a tail-light socket for stop/tail, and a brake light switch, easy.

Mine had some sort of Acerbis plastics kit, front fender, Acerbis hokey fold down mirrors that don't work, horn, were all part of my XR when I bought it, tried to put a better headlight than stock but not enough output to support it.....tail-light for stop/tail, and a brake light switch all work well.

My XR was well worn when I bought it from a guy in Miami, Oklahoma off Craigslist but like a mutt dog from the pound, it has turned out to be the best bike I have ever owned, it takes me off the smile meter every time I ride.

Edited by hodakaharold
spelling

Yea, I have a set of those mirrors, keep them folded down and use them only for off road, I have a stock set for road that stay on unless it's going to be an on/off road ride.

Sounds like you don't need much if anything for a plate, just do what you have to for the headlight and ride that thing.

I tossed the Acerbis hokey fold down mirrors and bought a dual-star mirror for my XR,,,,

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Equipment/adjustable_mirror2.htm

It actually works and does not get beat around on the trails, it appears I am limited to the stock headlight with the output/stator this bike has to offer.

If my local cops decide to get nasty about my lack of turn signals, I just I will buy one of the baja kits that provide a battery setup like you mentioned. Thanks for the reply.

Good looking mirror that,,Can't abide any of those stalk type mirrors on trailbikes.,, asthetically displeasing to my sense of how a motorcycle should look., In the picture on the website is that how it sits on the handlebars,,ie,,it doesn't extend up or out any further than that??,,Fine by me if it doesn't as that's the way I want the mirror to sit.. I currently use a small bicycle mirror which I adapt to work on a trailbike but they vibrate around a bit making them pretty much useless except for the legality side of having to use a mirror for roadworthiness registration of a dirtbike..,Does that one provide semi solid vision with all the vibration from the bike.,??,,adequate vision is good enough by me as I pretty much always turn my head and glance behind me before passing or pulling out.,,

Good looking mirror that,,Can't abide any of those stalk type mirrors on trailbikes.,, asthetically displeasing to my sense of how a motorcycle should look., In the picture on the website is that how it sits on the handlebars,,ie,,it doesn't extend up or out any further than that??,,Fine by me if it doesn't as that's the way I want the mirror to sit.. I currently use a small bicycle mirror which I adapt to work on a trailbike but they vibrate around a bit making them pretty much useless except for the legality side of having to use a mirror for roadworthiness registration of a dirtbike..,Does that one provide semi solid vision with all the vibration from the bike.,??,,adequate vision is good enough by me as I pretty much always turn my head and glance behind me before passing or pulling out.,,

i got a set of these http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/parts-for-sale/handlebars/auction-434651102.htm they stick out a bit but for only a buck i learnt to live with them... not to bad on the vibes too.

Hey harold my 93 got no battery and ive got blinkers as well as lights front and rear, the only downer is theres not much juice left from the stator to run anything over a 35w in the headlamp... but i like the simplicity of no battery and no fuses:smirk: