canammx1

1992 cr250 worth? Pros Cons

So I have ridden vintage bikes since I was 4 years old. So that is 16 years now. I race vmx and will keep doing so. I am looking at a bike for some track days and trail riding. I have never had anything that isn't from the 70's. I am looking at picking up a 90's era 250 smoker. I am 6' tall 235 pounds. I am considering picking up this cr250. It is a '92 with a '98 engine. Was wondering what the thoughts were on the year of chassis and engine. Is it worth what he is asking? I could pick it up after my next paycheck and change things over the winter. Here is the ad and pictures.

I have a 1992 Honda CR250 with a '98 motor. Recent top-end rebuild, plastic is in good shape with a new seat. Could use a new rear tire and control levers but is in good shape otherwise. I bought it last year and just don't have the time to ride and it's taking up room in my garage.I have the title in-hand. $800 or best offer.

Alex

5G55Ff5M13k23J83H6bcl31601d82cd80193d.jpg

5N65L65K33Ga3Ia3J3bcl589263fa60fb1719.jpg

5N65La5K33Lf3N23Habcl0b20af76ea0d1720.jpg

Or maybe a '94 yz250 for $875

5Y15U15S63k63m23o3bc9978f961d274f122c.jpg

Edited by canammx1

Those were both really dependable, good running bikes. The CR's of that generation were real corner carvers, but got nervous at high speed. The YZ's of that era weren't quite as athletic in the corners, but handled well, and were rock solid at high speed.

The CR is probably a better deal as the '92-96's are still sought after by many, the '93-95 YZ's much less so. That looks like a good deal on the CR, especially if you can get it for under $800.

Those were both really dependable, good running bikes. The CR's of that generation were real corner carvers, but got nervous at high speed. The YZ's of that era weren't quite as athletic in the corners, but handled well, and were rock solid at high speed.

The CR is probably a better deal as the '92-96's are still sought after by many, the '93-95 YZ's much less so. That looks like a good deal on the CR, especially if you can get it for under $800.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm really considering picking it up this time of the year just because it seems to be a good deal.

Pick it apart and offer him $650. See what he sez.

That's the plan! Hundred dollar bills speak.

Very nice. I'd definitely be all over the CR, obviously but I own a 1998 cr250 so I can attest that the motor is awesome. It probably has the Keihin PJ28L like mine that has a normal pilot and main jet, but has a power jet solenoid that is electric. The stock sizing is 175m/55p/42power and the idle adjustment is actually the top of the choke knob!

Having a 98 (when they switched to aluminum frames) I have learned that most guys seek the 92-96 bikes BC of the steel frames...Apparently not near as rigid as mine and gave way more. Felt much more stable. I still wouldn't trade mine for anything, but it's also all I've ever known. I've never ridden a steel frame to compare, but all I know is that thing is a Honda and as long as it runs well and goes through the gears, you're in great shape and might could even go less than $800...A lot of times people who know that they're doing will post something for sell like a bike $100 over what they really want, if they're smart. I'd offer less but not too much to offend the guy. I'd say something like "how about $700 to cover me for a rear tire and a lever" and he'll probably come through! This is a solid bike for sure given it only needs levers and rear tire, which is hardly ever the case. Be prepared to put some bearings in it or whatever, but that's nothin!

My 92 cracked out the top shock mount on the frame. I heard a few 92s done the same. Check the frame.

You can re-enforce the frame in that area with gussets.... i heard the factory teams would use gussets to change the flex of the frames you should look into that :bonk:

I wouldn't even consider it. A much newer 2000 or 2001 is available for $1,000, and everything about the technology is better.

You are buying dissapointment if you truly plan on riding it at a track. It will end up costing you much more than a newer, fresher bike.

That's okay though. I actually agree with the guy, but yea of course a newer bike will be newer, but he acts like this bike is un enjoyable, un rideable, whatever.

I wouldn't even consider it. A much newer 2000 or 2001 is available for $1,000, and everything about the technology is better.

You are buying dissapointment if you truly plan on riding it at a track. It will end up costing you much more than a newer, fresher bike.

Let's keep in mind that I race a 270+ pound british thumper with 4 inches of suspension max. So I think a '92 would allow me to be plenty competitive.

I got the point exactly. I am not a charity, so I always want the most bike for my hard-earned dollar, and for the paltry difference between a '92 and a bike ten years newer, I would buy newer.

I got the point exactly. I am not a charity, so I always want the most bike for my hard-earned dollar, and for the paltry difference between a '92 and a bike ten years newer, I would buy newer.

I get that. Around here bikes ten years newer are more than a grand unless you want a 125. I wouldn't mind a 125 if I wasn't 235 pounds. I'm not all muscle but I am pretty athletic at 235. Would a 125 carry me over big jumps? I race a '74 Can-Am that has similar hp numbers at 35 and has a similar power band(have to wring the crap out of it) Might hold on until spring and see what pops up. Especially after hearing about the shock mount cracking issues.

Pick it apart and offer him $650. See what he sez.

A+ on that :bonk: and he did say OBO

But you know, some other people dont want bikes like that so it just depends on the buyer.